Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Several
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Side ladder looks cool. Could possibly be useful for additional attachment points but corner ladder is more functional for intended purpose plus I’m hoping to one day replace the rear side glass for a side storage solution. So I’ll stick with the corners. Side note - the middle roof panel fits great on top of the rack. I used 3/4 pipe insulation to protect rack and panel this weekend and was able to fit all my camp gear in the back.
3AF15F6B-CB92-43AC-BF0A-91CF2F4B25FF.jpeg
The cables running to hood is a nice touch. Useful for anything other than drying wet socks
Sponsored

GrumpyVet

Badlands
First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Escape
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So far they’ve prevented a branch or two from hitting the windshield but I’ll have to dry some socks now. I built them with some steal braided wire and shrink tubing.

RubiconSasquatch

Badlands
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 BadSquatch, 2021 JLUR, 2008 JK-X, 65 Elco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The cables running to hood is a nice touch. Useful for anything other than drying wet socks
They are limb risers. useful for keeping limbs from smashing windshields, etc

RubiconSasquatch

Badlands
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Position #1 isn’t a possibility with Gobi. MAJOR setback for me since I use that feature nearly every nice day.
I use position one all the time too, but it's only an issue when the rack is installed. It's not like we'll be driving around with the thing mounted to the bronco every day. When the rack is in use, losing position 1 doesn't seem like too big of a sacrifice to gain all that extra gear capacity. It seems like no matter how it's designed, you'd have to unload pretty much everything off of the rack to open the top.

redone17

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I use position one all the time too, but it's only an issue when the rack is installed. It's not like we'll be driving around with the thing mounted to the bronco every day. When the rack is in use, losing position 1 doesn't seem like too big of a sacrifice to gain all that extra gear capacity. It seems like no matter how it's designed, you'd have to unload pretty much everything off of the rack to open the top.
You plan on unbolting the entire rack and storing it regularly and only mounting it when in use?

Sponsored

JohnnyBronco

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
X4
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

For me the 'Factory' soft top compatibility issue is no longer a problem.... I got so tired of the loose noisy top... So I went down to 4wp, used my miltary discount and picked up the Bestop Trektop... soooo much quieter and a better fit overall... and, i dont have to do this weird shenanigans when getting into the back of my bronco anymore... should work just fine with the Gobi Rack when it comes in.. :)

20220421_163544.jpg

20220421_163516.jpg
It will work exactly the same as the factory top IF you want to open the actual roof, not just the back panels. And the Gobi is designed to accommodate the "shenanigans" of unlatching and lifting rear "hatch"

JohnnyBronco

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
X4
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

You plan on unbolting the entire rack and storing it regularly and only mounting it when in use?
Once you fold the rack back to fully open softtop there are only 2 pivot bolts that would need removed. Counting the maybe 2 at front, that involves a total of 4 bolts to remove the rack. That's 2 less than fully removing the softtop

JohnnyBronco

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
X4
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Correct. Gobi + Bestop = rendered useless soft top.

I’ve been hoping someone is working with Gobi and comes out with a roll up replacement window for the factory soft top. That may be the best solution.
What did I miss while gone? I thought they incorporated allowing rear hatch access, just not folding back the front.

If that's the case then Gobi lost me as a potential customer

redone17

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
What did I miss while gone? I thought they incorporated allowing rear hatch access, just not folding back the front.

If that's the case then Gobi lost me as a potential customer
Not sure when you saw that. Confirmed only 3” hatch lift. I’m feeling like I’m about to bow out myself.

redone17

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Once you fold the rack back to fully open softtop there are only 2 pivot bolts that would need removed. Counting the maybe 2 at front, that involves a total of 4 bolts to remove the rack. That's 2 less than fully removing the softtop
That's a good point. I guess the challenge becomes storage...

I have questioned a few Jeep owners on their Gobi and most of them have said they don't even go through the trouble of lifting after it was installed - let alone fully removing.

Sponsored

RubiconSasquatch

Badlands
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
That's a good point. I guess the challenge becomes storage...

I have questioned a few Jeep owners on their Gobi and most of them have said they don't even go through the trouble of lifting after it was installed - let alone fully removing.
It seems like it should be as simple as something like a hardtop lift (pulley setup) in the garage to store when not in use.

I might be strange, and no offense intended to anyone, but I really dislike “offroad” mods that are done just for looks. Level kits, large wheels with low profile mud tires, leaving a bunch of camping gear strapped to the jeep/bronco all the time, giant light bars… to each his own, no doubt, but it just makes me wonder about people sometimes. For me, form follows function. It’s a nice side benefit that super functional gear also looks pretty bad ass ;).

Yes, just like I do with my Jeeps, I plan to unload and store my gear after each trip. That includes the rack. One of the best features of the Gobi rack IMO is how little is left behind when you remove it.

redone17

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Yes, just like I do with my Jeeps, I plan to unload and store my gear after each trip. That includes the rack. One of the best features of the Gobi rack IMO is how little is left behind when you remove it.
I like that idea...it will be a while until I can renovate my garage to accommodate that setup...but, it would be a solid option. Essentially just the mounts on the bumper and above the windshield, right?

Your reasons are also why I like the SMS Exposed Racks...hidden for every day use.

RubiconSasquatch

Badlands
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I like that idea...it will be a while until I can renovate my garage to accommodate that setup...but, it would be a solid option. Essentially just the mounts on the bumper and above the windshield, right?

Your reasons are also why I like the SMS Exposed Racks...hidden for every day use.
I like their stuff too. Doesn’t really fit my most common use case, but I would be a customer of theirs if it did.

I need to be able to carry gear for some short and some very extended trips. For example, I’m currently putting the finishing touches on a plan for a trip this summer from Denton, TX to Anchorage, AK and back. 6 weeks and about 9000 miles round trip. Lots of highway and lots of dirt roads. Hopefully some trails and non-roads as well. Camping, fishing, exploring as much as possible along the way. Can’t predict the weather so the top will need to stay up. Can’t count on available services and fuel so I need to bring a lot of stuff with me. Sadly, my rack won’t be built in time for this trip. It won’t be the last trip though :)

88to21bronco

Big Bend
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Nissan Titan XD
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I like their stuff too. Doesn’t really fit my most common use case, but I would be a customer of theirs if it did.

I need to be able to carry gear for some short and some very extended trips. For example, I’m currently putting the finishing touches on a plan for a trip this summer from Denton, TX to Anchorage, AK and back. 6 weeks and about 9000 miles round trip. Lots of highway and lots of dirt roads. Hopefully some trails and non-roads as well. Camping, fishing, exploring as much as possible along the way. Can’t predict the weather so the top will need to stay up. Can’t count on available services and fuel so I need to bring a lot of stuff with me. Sadly, my rack won’t be built in time for this trip. It won’t be the last trip though :)
So..if no rack, then how will you carry all your stuff? Can I assume it's a solo trip? I'm planning a *much* shorter trip with a wife and three kids and am freaking out about space lol.

*EDIT: Please post this trip! It sounds amazing!

RubiconSasquatch

Badlands
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
So..if no rack, then how will you carry all your stuff? Can I assume it's a solo trip? I'm planning a *much* shorter trip with a wife and three kids and am freaking out about space lol.
I will be pulling my Conquerer UEV-490 camper for this one and while adding all that weight to the trailer isn’t a perfect solution, it’s the best option I have at the moment. My wife and some friends in a second truck are currently planning to go with me on the outbound leg. Then a few more are flying up to meet us for the time in Alaska. Only the trip back will be solo, and only if someone else doesn’t decide to join for all or part of it. We are following the Rockies most of the way, so the scenery will be non-stop spectacular
Sponsored