Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68&69 Broncos, 21 AMB Base 2dr, 23 VB BL 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Would I be able to use
So let's say I found 35in tires that would fit the base steelies. Would those interfere with any suspension conponents?
Just edited my post above.
Well, lets see what is offered in 16" 35's ..... https://tiresize.com/chart/

Look in the 16" chart and 34 and 35" diameters.

HoosierDaddy

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So let's say I found 35in tires that would fit the base steelies. Would those interfere with any suspension conponents?
I did not find any 16" at tiresize in the 34 or 35's that were skinny enough to run on the base steelies. Any wider than 285 (11") tires will have clearance issues.

You'll need aftermarket 16's if you're looking for that balloon tire effect. (and a new set of tires too. The factory 35's are 17".)

Those Base wheels, at only 7" wide are super narrow for most offroad tires of any decent size....plus they are only 16", meaning you'll need new wheels AND tires.
Even the Black Diamond's wheels are slightly too small at 7.5" (per manufacturer spec) for most 35's.
(I'd probably still run them, but again...offset issues, they'll rub if wider than 285's)

Move up to 17" wheels and run the factory tires (cheapest route)... plus the available tire selection opens up a lot more for later on.

OP
OP

Deleted member 18388

I did not find any 16" at tiresize in the 34 or 35's that were skinny enough to run on the base steelies. Any wider than 285 (11") tires will have clearance issues.

You'll need aftermarket 16's if you're looking for that balloon tire effect. (and a new set of tires too. The factory 35's are 17".)

Those Base wheels, at only 7" wide are super narrow for most offroad tires of any decent size....plus they are only 16", meaning you'll need new wheels AND tires.
Even the Black Diamond's wheels are slightly too small at 7.5" (per manufacturer spec) for most 35's.
(I'd probably still run them, but again...offset issues, they'll rub if wider than 285's)

Move up to 17" wheels and run the factory tires (cheapest route)... plus the available tire selection opens up a lot more for later on.
Yes that's what it's looking like I'm going to have to do. Which is fine. Hard to find similar steelies in 17x8.5. But maybe someone will make them.

Sponsored

HoosierDaddy

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Yes that's what it's looking like I'm going to have to do. Which is fine. Hard to find similar steelies in 17x8.5. But maybe someone will make them.
The one link I posted earlier had a few .... watch the center bore size though.
What are we 93.1mm or something like that?
Larger is good. Smaller is not. They make shims to shim down to the right center bore.

Pancho Kornwallace

Base
First Name
Pancho
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Base
Thanks a bunch. Wonder if I'm the only one that actually would rather have the steelies than any other wheel.
I was thrilled that I could get the base steel silver wheels for no extra cost.
My plan is to get a bigger alloy wheel/tire later, but just be happy with the steel wheels for now.

Pancho Kornwallace

Base
First Name
Pancho
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Base

Having 2 sets of wheels/tires is a good thing. I have that for my Mustang. It is the least obtrusive way to mod your build without actually changing anything. Plus the tires wear out 1/2 as fast, so you are really only paying for the wheels and sensors in terms of incremental cost.

frostyjake

Base
First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Ford Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Base
I want a two door with a retro look, but with plenty of off-road capability. I've got no interest in the extra frills of the mid or high package, so I'm waiting for MY22 and planning on a Base Manual Sasquatch.

My current plan is to sell the Sasquatch wheels and tires, and buy some base steelies and 255/85/r16 tires (33x10).

I'm hoping those will be narrow enough that I can run some low profile fenders like the ones made by 4WP without too much tire poke.

Sponsored

redone17

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Big fan of the Steelies! One of the main reasons I’m sticking with BD. I’m interested to see what tire size alternatives are available/capable. But, that will be a while before I tear through the General A/T.

In the long run I’m thinking of using the steelies for snow tires and finding a nice set of wheels that still have an industrial/steelies look - but, up a notch and find some slightly aggressive treads as skinny as I can get - but, still good on sand.

530Squatch

Badlands
First Name
Nicholas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 HD Silverado Duramax Turbo Diesel
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm on the hype wagon. Ever since I saw the BD black steelies last month I've been in love. If we can get those offered to fit a Sas (maybe a sweet white option for MY22 to go with green?) I'd throw my money that way. They look so damn good. Just fits the Bronco so well.