taperunner

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
So needless to say I'm feeling pretty dejected at the moment. I thought I did everything correctly (in hindsight I know I missed something) and what Ford suggested to get a Bronco. But at the end of the day, not only am I not getting my Bronco, the dealer was straight up rude and told me they wouldn't even sell to me at their markup.

Here's the full story. I had a reservation, later than many of you and I went with Granger. I think it was around May 15, 2021. I knew I'd be far down the list. Granger thought I'd maybe get one around Q2/3 of 20222. That was fine by me. As we all know, Ford then changed allocation formulas and Granger let us know it was going to severely impact them. I wouldn't be getting a Bronco from them until probably 2025. So I did what Ford and Mike Levine told people in my position. I looked for a high volume dealer and I made a build that was less constrained (dropped the MIC top). I went to Golf Mill Ford in Niles, IL. First thing I asked, are there any ADMs because I won't pay them. They said no, all custom orders are at MSRP. So built out my order. I asked for a purchase agreement and I was told they didn't really have anything like that they could give me. So I had them print out the order sheet, wrote out I'll pay MSRP plus tax, title and license. I had a sales manager sign in. I asked if I needed to put down a deposit or reservation and they said no. This was October 20th or so and it was when reservations weren't available but I could go into the dealer to order. The guy taking my order was very clueless but I asked a few times about putting money down but he told me I didn't need to. They placed the order, I had the signed order confirmation and thought I was good.

I was in the 2/8 build week and it got pushed due to the MAP closure. It was built with an EDD of 3/11. Well this past weekend on Saturday they called saying it was in. I was pumped. I needed to move money to my checking to write out the down payment check so I said I couldn't come in until monday. I spent the day getting the garage ready for the second car. Today I had my wife drop me off at the dealer. The salesman took me to see it and it was sweet. An Eruption Green Badlands. I was picking it up around 5pm so the sun was making that paint look like everything I'd hoped it was. Took it out for a drive and it was great. I was so pumped. We go in and get started on paperwork. You already know where this is going....

They tell me most cars are getting a 7.5k Market Adjustment. And they're only adding 5k to my Bronco. I immediately said I wouldn't be paying that. I rehashed that it was literally the first thing I asked and that I had the signed price of MSRP. So the salesman walks off and comes back giving me the runaround of how they have to do it in this market. Offers to come down 2.5k. Again I tell him I'm not doing it. I have signed stuff showing I'm paying MSRP. So then someone else comes over and I just keep getting the run around on this market, blah blah blah. You guys know all the spin they try to use. Finally after they see the photos of the signed paperwork he disappeared for awhile. Comes back and tells me it's 5k more. Take it or leave it. Their main reasoning was that I did not place a deposit on it. So nothing was binding. Even though I said multiple times, I asked if I needed to put money down and was told no. Not to mention, it shouldn't be on me to do your job. It's something you should have asked/taken care of. I want to preface with I did not yell, swear, threaten or act like a fool. But at this point I was most definitely raising my voice but it was not screaming by any means. Again they told me take it or leave it. I continued to press "what good is signed documentation from you for my custom order and now you will not honor it?" At that point someone else walked over and told me to leave. So in an effort to bide time so they wouldn't try to sell my car right away, I said "Fine, I'll go home and talk to my finance company to see if I can take out more for the ADM". I was still not intending on paying it, after I walked out the guy that told me to leave said "Don't bother talking to your finance company. We're not selling you this car for any price". I asked "you changed the price on me and I'm visibly upset. I didn't yell at you or anyone else but you kicked me out of your store and now you won't sell to me even if I paid the 5k markup"? He said "Yep, I don't want the bad press or to have to deal with you". And that was it. As I was waiting for my Uber to get me they were putting my Bronco in one of those 'marquee' spots right in front next to the main road. I know they were thrilled about this. They'll probably mark it up 15-20k now.

I tweeted at Mike Levine and @Ford but haven't heard anything yet. Honestly with them throwing me out of their dealership I wouldn't even expect this to somehow be resolved. I'm pretty crushed. I know lots of people that have been waiting longer than I have are fed up but still waiting. I hope you guys all get your vehicles and it's a smooth process. But at this point, I'm so soured on the whole thing. I'm going to chill for a few days but I don't think I want to start at the back of the line again so I might just be looking at another manufacturer. I thought I did everything they (Ford and Mr Levine) suggested to get a Bronco as quickly as possible and without hidden fees but I still got screwed.

Update - 3/2 1PM Central - I've been in touch with Ford but nothing yet. I've made some other inquiries as well but I'll hold off detailing those until I know more. I do really appreciate everyone's support in this. I've had multiple DMs with advice and just well wishes.

Update -3/8
So at this point I can provide a more in depth update as it seems I'm out of options and left out to dry. A user was able to get me in touch with Mike Levine at Ford the morning after this post. I reached out to him and he said he'd look into things and get back to me. Last Friday he emailed saying something like "I was told you're good to go, can you confirm" and I let him know I hadn't heard anything from anyone. I think he probably got his wires crossed with me and the user who was getting screwed at Cranes. He got back to me later Friday and said the dealership told them I was planning on flipping the bronco after I bought it so there was nothing he could do to help. I wrote a long email back saying that was an outright lie. I was willing to put in writing that I wouldn't sell the car. I told him to look up my post history, I've ordered some accessories. This is just the dealership straight up lying to make this go away. He replied back saying he'd get back to me. As of Monday afternoon I hadn't heard anything so I sent an email and I said it looks like this won't be resolved. I laid out three different options asking if they could either bump my priority up on my reservation at Granger, transfer that reservation to a smaller local Fold dealer that would help me get it faster or bump up the priority on my new order I placed at the aforementioned dealer. I don't have a constrained build but since Granger and the new dealer I'm trying to work with aren't high volume, allocations hurt me there. He replied back and I'm kind of paraphrasing but it was mostly like "even if we got you scheduled today, it would still be three months out and it would then bump back anyone ahead of you"
So that's pretty much it. Golf Mill got away with screwing me over. Mike was responsive but at the end of the day, there is nothing they can or are willing to do to help me out. So big dealer wins, I lose.

I have filed complaints with the FTC, the Illinois Attorney General's Office and the BBB. I did reach out to a couple of news stations but only one replied and told me they didn't cover these types of consumer stories.

I also spoke with a lawyer and he had to remain vague but Illinois only considers something a contract if something changes hands (money). So in my case, it's not a contract it's a promise. He told me I could pursue it and possibly win but it wouldn't be super cut and dry or a slam dunk. I might ask him for a couple referrals but the odds of litigation are most likely slim.

Lastly, if any of you had been holding off on bashing this dealer on Google, Yelp or Facebook, please feel free to start! Hah. I know a lot of you already did and thanks for that. I didn't encourage it early on because I'd hoped Mike could do something behind the scenes but that ship has set sail. F this dealership, I'll try to generate as much negative publicity as I can. Thanks to everyone who reached out via DM or on here, submitted on star reviews or anything else. I really hope all you guys have better experiences than I did. As I mentioned, I did place a new order and if I can get it by maybe August or Sept (longshot at this point) I can hold off. But with the family expanding, one car isn't going to cut it. I hope I can still get a bronco but like many of you I've been holding my breath for long time and I'm close to throwing in the towel.
Sponsored

Last edited:

EStepCG2022

Base
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Cadillac CTS-V
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Golf Mill absolutely sucks. Worst dealer I've ever dealt with. I spoke with them one morning about coming in to check out one of the Broncos they had and I was assured it was there by the lady on the phone. When I went into the dealer, the salesman said that vehicle was never actually there. Absolute joke. I feel so horrible for you...it's so frustrating that they get away with this.

mike8675309

Base
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco ManSquatch, 2023 Chevy Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Base
Sorry to hear it went this way. Gotta keep your head when dealing with the dealer because push comes to shove, they know they'll sell it to the next guy in line. They probably have a few people on a waitlist for just such an occurrence. If you wanna walk then walk. But if you want it, then you are now in a seller's market and don't have a lot of options.

Sponsored

Tonka1

Badlands
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Willys
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

This is part of the reason that I'm sticking with Granger, even if I have to wait a few years. With Ford lowering the standard for name matching on reservations, I have a hard time trusting any other dealer these days.

K0Y0TE1

Big Bend
First Name
Lukas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Ram/Audi A5
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
After I got screwed in the same fashion from Gillespie in Gurnee (10k dealer hardship fee), I went to Golf Mill after talking to them on the phone and being assured 'the one you want is in stock, at msrp.' Long story short, vehicle 'just sold an hour ago, but we have another one available...at markup." Go to Kunes in Antioch. They told me 'if you are willing to place the order and wait, we will sell it to you at msrp.' Even got a signed purchase order with an out the door price. Go see Nick Kretsch, tell him Lukas sent you. Super great guy to work with.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Bonnie6G

Badlands
First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands LuxSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Seriously, get a lawyer to write an initial letter regarding a suit. You don’t have to actually follow through with the suit. But the letter from a lawyer tends to scare these morons. Also, if there was a case for bad press, this is it. Leave them bad reviews, talk to the local new outlets etc.