Sponsored

Good site/resource for persons new to off road vehicles?

ironmike

Raptor
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
I second taking advantage of the Off Rodeo that Ford is giving us all access to. They're billing it as appropriate for novices to experts

One correction to @Raptor911 The Off Rodeo website indicates that guests are allowed for a nominal fee. So get yourself and your dad signed up, pick a location and have a blast.

https://broncooffroadeo.com/
Agreed, I think there will be provisions for at least one guest. The Ford Performance series cars have a similar event, and they allow one guest (paid for!).
Sponsored

Raptor911

Raptor
First Name
Raptor911
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 F150 Raptor, 2022 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Thank you for the info BUT I bet the Warthog school will be FREE as Ford Performance vehicles always comes with a free 1-day driving school.

:)

I second taking advantage of the Off Rodeo that Ford is giving us all access to. They're billing it as appropriate for novices to experts

One correction to @Raptor911 The Off Rodeo website indicates that guests are allowed for a nominal fee. So get yourself and your dad signed up, pick a location and have a blast.

https://broncooffroadeo.com/

Apples

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep JLUR, 2004 Lexus GX470
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Thank you for the info BUT I bet the Warthog school will be FREE as Ford Performance vehicles always comes with a free 1-day driving school.

The Off Rodeo is free for the Bronco purchaser. There's a registration fee for guests.

rlynch356

Base
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Defender 90, RRC TDi, 200 series
Your Bronco Model
Base
if you are going to get into Off roading - I would recommend at least 1 class to get you started.
OEX (Overland Experts) has an off-road 101 which would give you basis to learn more and be safe off road.
https://overlandexperts.com/training-programs/recreational/?v=893f26889d1e

there are also other instructors and classes you can take - just go with a reputable instructor or company.

Sponsored

mrjerry469

Black Diamond
First Name
JERRY
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BLACK DIAMOND
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Search YOUTUBE there's a ton of videos I use it to gain more knowledge

MadMan4BamaNATL

Badlands
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco 2DR Badlands Sasquatch, 2021 RR Sport
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

As someone new to this I find myself using Google often to see what an acronym you guys use means. I search things like the difference between 4a and 4h, etc.

I searched on here and online but cannot find a good "one stop shop" resource.

Once I get the Bronco my plan is to join a local club with my dad to learn real life but it'd be nice to go in with full (at least as close to) knowledge on terminology and vehicle functions that I'm simply ignorant to.

Any recommendations? If it's on here already I'll thread delete once linked. I don't seem to have great luck with the search function.
I'll start by saying, there is nothing wrong with being new. Fact is, you've decided to get out and wheel; that's the big thing you've gotten out of the way, so welcome. I'm not at all some Ultra 4 guy, just a guy who goes wheelin, camping, hiking, hunting, etc, so nothing special, but you don't have to get all special to just get out and enjoy some fun; that's the point.

I'm not going to go digging for links since I'm technically working and you know how to use the internets so I'll just suggest a few channels to look up. These are guys who share terms and definitions and are overall friendly and approachable to those trying to learn. Most important, most discuss safety a lot; this is often overlooked, but to your own peril.

Be safe and only buy once, so save up for the key items you'll need once you learn more off road terms.

First channel I recommend to anyone is Aussie, Ronny Dahl. The man is a legend and has helpful videos with "How To" info and such.

Overland Bound is a guy and his wife who are weekend warriors, he's good and helpful, but is also trying to develop some sort of a overlanding group, so he endorses stuff and you should make up your own mind with any of it.

4XOverland. This guy is another legend of overlanding in Africa and Australia; just full of knowledge.

Dirt Lifestyle. Guy is a mechanic and fabricator; serious shit here, but he's a natural teacher from the way he communicates, which is good. Another guy who is all about safety; see a theme here?

Exodus 4x4 is a new goofball I've discovered but the guy is great. He owns a shop in Texas and is one hell of a mechanic and rig builder. He focuses on Jeeps right now, but he gives a ton of detail of builds and parts needed to make a high performance rig. Now, this is high end with Hemi swaps and King suspensions, but he's more for once you've got some plans together.

Anyway, there are a ton of channels and a ton of advice, most of it is useless, but, do your own research and you'll start to see patterns of who goes into the true details and who just talks.

Good luck and I hope you enjoy off roading.

Used2jeep

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Crown Vic P71
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I am pretty sure Ford will have a free 1-day school for off-roading your Bronco using their Broncos. You just have to get to the location. 1 ticket per owner tied to your VIN. No guest are allowed.

Ford does this for most of their cars >> Raptors, Focus RS, GT350, etc.

So go beat on their Broncos.

Ford Performance Raptor Assault School

THAT'S IT! THE REASON WHY THE DELAY IN PRODUCTION!

No states would allow the large number of people at the Bronco Off-Roadeos!

/s

unfbs04ceavfxyc0jpl1i0gkbh6lzvg4ubqmm9ub&rid=giphy.gif

MaverickMan

Black Diamond
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 bronco sport 91 comanche eliminator 93 v8 zj
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Also look up the camel trophy video, make some popcorn and have a movie night. Its over an hour long and is amazing. Im sure someone will throw a link up for it, but just type camel trophy land rover years in youtube. It will teach you about everything you need to know. I think I would consider their rigs on par with a basic Black Diamond.

soupcook

Outer Banks
First Name
Walt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger and 2017 GMC Acadia Denali
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

As someone new to this I find myself using Google often to see what an acronym you guys use means. I search things like the difference between 4a and 4h, etc.

I searched on here and online but cannot find a good "one stop shop" resource.

Once I get the Bronco my plan is to join a local club with my dad to learn real life but it'd be nice to go in with full (at least as close to) knowledge on terminology and vehicle functions that I'm simply ignorant to.

Any recommendations? If it's on here already I'll thread delete once linked. I don't seem to have great luck with the search function.
When I purchased my 2018 Wrangler JKU, I found several great Florida off-road clubs...some dedicated Jeepers and some were off-road enthusiasts. They post great Youtube! videos of trails in the state and then share likes to meets, etc. I learned a lot and was able to vicariously experience trail riding here in Florida.