Sponsored

GoRhino DSS Steps / Sliders Installed on 2021 Bronco First Edition (DIY writeup tip / instructions)

hammer_head

Badlands
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer Sport
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Makes perfect sense. Appreciate the insight and explanation! I'm all for aesthetics, so knowing how unsightly that may look is a bonus prior to installation.
Sponsored

TX-Hans

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Escalade, '13 Jeep Wrangler, '21 Bronco FE
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
After much research, I landed on the GoRhino DSS's for my FE because of the rock rail rating, and have a few words of advice / takeaways that you should consider! I like lists, so here you go, in no particular order...

1. The rails are not mounted as solidly as the OEM rock rails. The OEM rock rails for instance connect to the body at two primary points.... one of those points being a secondary upper mounting bracket.

2. The rails are a beast to install! If at all possible, have an extra set of hands, or preferably two, to help with holding the rails in place, etc.

3. I used XPEL's Black Universal Door Sill Guard (60" x 2.75") Paint Protection Film Kit to cover the pinch weld area before installing the mounting brackets/rails, and it made all the difference (see photos). If you go this route, buy three strips. Each of the two pinch weld areas is ~74" long, but I applied the film from the middle of the rear mounting bracket area to where the front fender attaches. I then used the spare third role to complete the the area from middle of the mounting point to the rear (this way, the mounting bracket secures and hides the rear extension).

4. As other threads have mentioned, make sure you run one of the allen bolts into the L-brackets to make sure the threads are okay for later installation. Funny enough, after about 3-4 hours of installation (removing the OEM rock rails and installing these) I ran into issues with the last L-bracket nut threads. Brutal!

5. The hardest part of the installation was screwing the allen bolts into the L-brackets in the rails. If you use your fingers to pull the L-brackets closer toward the mounting bracket, the holes in the L-bracket sit too low, so you have to pull the bracket toward you AND up, which beat the heck out me. THEN I found the perfect workaround! I used a fishing magnet wrapped in a towel to set the L-brackets in place so I could focus on screwing the bolts in. If there's one thing that you do... get the magnet! Thank me later!

6. Lastly, my take on the steps/rock rails.
A. They look great! They have no visible defects, and sit high!
B. I do have concerns about the rails being even to or just slightly (centimeter(s)) lower than the bottom of the mounting brackets. The last thing anyone wants is to be in a situation where you have to rely on them, just to get caught on a bracket.
C. I'm about 280 pounds, and the steps don't show any noticeable flexing when I put my full weight on them.
D. My girlfriend is 5'2 and loves the steps! They're a lifesaver for her!
E. I'm 5'10, however, and find them too close to the floor of the Bronco... which makes them awkward to use when entering the cabin. I end up stepping on them, crouching down, and fumbling to take a mini step into the cabin. I'll accept it for the protection, but can't help but to wonder if I would have enjoyed the Dominator Extreme D1s more (not rock rails).

Hope this helps!!!

Rock Rails Removed and Before XPEL
Before XPEL Tape.jpg

After XPEL
After XPEL.jpg

View Showing How Far Out The Rails Extend
Photo Dec 06, 5 25 32 PM.jpg

Top Down View
Straight Down.jpg

Photo Dec 06, 5 25 17 PM.jpg
Those really look good, and great recommendations for installation. A few questions:

After having them on the Bronco for a few weeks, do you feel like they are wide enough to stop any rocks that are kicked up from hitting the side of the Bronco?

Is the width of the DSS sufficient for getting a good foothold for getting in and out of the Bronco? (Thinking about wife and kids)

Is the width sufficient that it will help prevent doors from other cars hitting the side in parking lots, etc?

OP
OP
SixFathimsDeep
First Name
Esteban
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercedes AMG GT, Bronco First Edition
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Those really look good, and great recommendations for installation. A few questions:

After having them on the Bronco for a few weeks, do you feel like they are wide enough to stop any rocks that are kicked up from hitting the side of the Bronco?

Is the width of the DSS sufficient for getting a good foothold for getting in and out of the Bronco? (Thinking about wife and kids)

Is the width sufficient that it will help prevent doors from other cars hitting the side in parking lots, etc?
Great questions! They do offer some protection, but don't cover the full width of the tire. I'm okay with that because I also have XPEL PPF installed on the rocker panels, and the rails do stick out just a bit more than the doors to help add some protection.

My GF loves them and says they make a big difference for her, but I'm 5'10, and find them more awkward than anything (they aren't as wide, and aren't low enough for me to step on them and then to transition into our out of my Bronco easily. If the D6's were rock rail rated (I heard they weren't at one point, from GoRhino), I'd have gone with them instead, or with something that has a lower step.

Last edited:

Bt_ostate

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor 2021 Bronco 4-Door FE
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Went with d6 because I wanted wider stepping area and better rock chip protection from tires. Like that stirrups are removable also.

Installed the xpel tape on pinch weld before installing boards.

Ford Bronco GoRhino DSS Steps / Sliders Installed on 2021 Bronco First Edition (DIY writeup tip / instructions) 20211224_102718

Ford Bronco GoRhino DSS Steps / Sliders Installed on 2021 Bronco First Edition (DIY writeup tip / instructions) 20211224_102521

Ford Bronco GoRhino DSS Steps / Sliders Installed on 2021 Bronco First Edition (DIY writeup tip / instructions) 20211224_101852

Ford Bronco GoRhino DSS Steps / Sliders Installed on 2021 Bronco First Edition (DIY writeup tip / instructions) 20211224_102545

Ford Bronco GoRhino DSS Steps / Sliders Installed on 2021 Bronco First Edition (DIY writeup tip / instructions) 20211224_102028
Sponsored