Sponsored

Got my call now I'm seeking some advice and thoughts...

EdNewcomer

Base
First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler
Your Bronco Model
Base
Hi everyone,
I got my call today from my local Ford dealer in Los Angeles and was told that Ford is allotting them only 100 new Broncos for 2021 and that I'm in that 100. That means I could get my new Bronco before the end of 2021. So, that's cool but... he also said that if I want the 2.7 6cyl, the manual transmission, or the Sasquatch package, it would not be delivered until 2022. Right now, I'd like a base model with auto transmission and the 6cyl. Here's what I'm biting my nails about and I'd like to see what other prospective Bronco buyers are thinking:

1. I've always been a Jeep driver and the one time I had a CJ or Wrangler with a 4 cylinder, I regretted it. The Bronco's 4 is turbo charged and I know that makes a difference but I plan to tow a light camping (single axle) off-road trailer with my Bronco so I assume that the 6cyl will be better for towing. Thoughts?
2. My feet are a little cold because, obviously, I haven't had a chance to sit in, see, or touch a real Bronco, yet. I'm wondering if it wouldn't be better to wait a year or two to let the 'newness' wear off of the Bronco, let Ford work out any bugs, and let them settle into a competition with Jeep for end of year sales, etc. Thoughts?

Right now, if I use the 'build' feature for a Bronco and the same for a Wrangler, I can get an identically equipped Wrangler for a few thousand less than a Bronco. I know that's like comparing apples and oranges to some of you but not for me. Any other Jeep owners want to chime in on their thoughts, especially if they are considering jumping ship from Jeep to Wrangler?

I have until January 31 to either commit or ask for my deposit back and wait until later. I'm honestly interested in what you guys are thinking or if you're having the same nail biting concerns I am about buying a Bronco sight unseen.

Thanks!
Ed
Sponsored

bbqbronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
EG Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Hi everyone,
I got my call today from my local Ford dealer in Los Angeles and was told that Ford is allotting them only 100 new Broncos for 2021 and that I'm in that 100. That means I could get my new Bronco before the end of 2021. So, that's cool but... he also said that if I want the 2.7 6cyl, the manual transmission, or the Sasquatch package, it would not be delivered until 2022. Right now, I'd like a base model with auto transmission and the 6cyl. Here's what I'm biting my nails about and I'd like to see what other prospective Bronco buyers are thinking:

1. I've always been a Jeep driver and the one time I had a CJ or Wrangler with a 4 cylinder, I regretted it. The Bronco's 4 is turbo charged and I know that makes a difference but I plan to tow a light camping (single axle) off-road trailer with my Bronco so I assume that the 6cyl will be better for towing. Thoughts?
2. My feet are a little cold because, obviously, I haven't had a chance to sit in, see, or touch a real Bronco, yet. I'm wondering if it wouldn't be better to wait a year or two to let the 'newness' wear off of the Bronco, let Ford work out any bugs, and let them settle into a competition with Jeep for end of year sales, etc. Thoughts?

Right now, if I use the 'build' feature for a Bronco and the same for a Wrangler, I can get an identically equipped Wrangler for a few thousand less than a Bronco. I know that's like comparing apples and oranges to some of you but not for me. Any other Jeep owners want to chime in on their thoughts, especially if they are considering jumping ship from Jeep to Wrangler?

I have until January 31 to either commit or ask for my deposit back and wait until later. I'm honestly interested in what you guys are thinking or if you're having the same nail biting concerns I am about buying a Bronco sight unseen.

Thanks!
Ed
Reasonable concerns.

1. V6, gimme all the ponies.
2. '21 models are the guinea pigs cobbled together from leftover Ranger parts. The experiments if you will. Ahem, I'm definitely not biased due to my late reservation. :cool:

Huh? I would only jump ship from Ford to Bronco.

Used2jeep

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Crown Vic P71
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Here is my take (it is a watermelon to nectarine comparison so I'm with you). I currently drive a Crown Vic PI (4.6, 3.55 LSD) and tow a smaller utility trailer that in itself is over its own weight rating (loaded up it is probably 2k) and the car doesn't even notice it. My Vic is roughly the same weight as a 4 door Bronco. The power between the 4.6 and the 2.3 is that the 2.3 has more juice.

It is a bit of a weird comparison. Do I think that the 2.3 would be enough for you? Absolutely, especially if you decided to get the optional 4.27 on the BB (no factory tow package on the Base). I'm going for the 2.7 because of the dual injection styles and what seems to be a more uniform power curve for the engine.

HTH. BTW, I think your dealer is trying to scare you with his "will be late" when Ford said "may cause delays". Like @bbqbronco I am a 22er, both by luck and choice.

It's early, I haven't had coffee yet... :LOL:

vintage

First Edition
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JLU Rubicon, 4Runner Trd Pro, Indian Chieftain, Indian Springfield
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

I own a Rubicon, great vehicle and would probably buy another if the Bronco didn't come back. It's hard for me to do a comparison because I haven't driven a Bronco. But I feel with all that the Bronco has to offer it will be a better vehicle for my needs. From all my research the Bronco is supposed to be a nicer road ride than the Wrangler, for me that's important as I'm in my vehicle half the day driving around to my job sites. At the end of the day it's your hard earned money, go with what you think will put the bigger smile on your face. For me it's the Bronco. As someone posted, I don't think the 2021 year Broncos will be cobbled up parts from the Ranger as it's a brand new ground up vehicle. I heard the same B.S. when I bought my 18.5 Rubicon about being the guinea pig with a newly re-done Wrangler. Three years later I had one simple recall that was fixed for free when I was getting a oil change.

Last edited:

Sponsored

BeerForMyHorses

Base
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco 2-Door
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Why do you have until January 31st to make a decision? Ordering bank is open through March

Also my $0.02 I think the 2.3L will be fine for that light weight trailer. What percentage of your broncos use will be pulling it? And where?

Lowcountry Bronco

Heritage
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger and Toyota FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

I would order what you want and not worry about the potential delay items but you have until March to finalize your '21 order and still keep your spot in line. If you get pushed to '22 then you'll just get more options and colors to choose from so not a loss.

j_marinelli

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Hi everyone,

Thanks!
Ed

Welcome to the site Ed!

First thing I would point out is that you have until March 19th to convert your order or if you decide to wait til '22 model year I believe you do not cancel your reservation (don't ask for deposit back as that does cancel order).

My thoughts were when I went to convert my order was to order what I want, look at what Ford gives me as an ETA in May and then make a decision at that point if I want to make any changes to the order to try and improve delivery time. Remember you can change your order up until a VIN is issued.

Definitely check out the site as there is a lot of useful information on here that Dealers, Ford employees, and other members have been able to provide.

Taco Grande

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ML350
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
If you are going to buy a car you have never seen nor driven, you should get exactly what you want. If you are considering waiting several years I do not see why you cannot wait several months for the 2.7.

I am completely with you in regards to concerns about buying a vehicle I have never seen. The rational thing is to wait as dealers and Ford are going to try to capitalize on the demand and emotions that go along with it. I personally will not hand over any non refundable money until I can drive the actual Bronco.

TheFuzzyBunny

Black Diamond
First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acadia
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Delays be dammed. I am at 43 of 95 allocated at my dealer. I went with a BD 2 door, 2.7, Sasquatch, Mid package. My dealer obviously doesn't KNOW but did indicate that I should still be in 2021 with those choices. Even if I wasn't, I want to get what I want. A Bronco isn't cheap, don't settle.

Sponsored

Duke460

Outer Banks
First Name
Earle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Hi everyone,

Thanks!
Ed
I have the 2.2 in an escape, good engine. Also the 2.7 in a f150. It is a torque monster for its size. Tow 7k pounds with ease. I ordered my bronco with the 2.7.

Mattwings

Badlands
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

If you arenā€™t passionate about the Bronco, maybe you wait? Donā€™t think of the 2.3 compared to any of the past naturally aspirated 4cyl of Jeep past. The 2.3 has 15 more HP and 45lbft more torque than the Jeep 6cyl. It is likely a bit heavier than a comparable Jeep, but still should match or exceed the Jeep performance wise and towing. The Ranger, with the same 4cyl and 10sp rates up to 7500lbs towing, so the engine is capable of anything the Bronco should tow. I did order the 6cyl, because the 2.7 I have now is just such a sweet motor, but having a 2020 Ranger in our household, I would not hesitate to pull the 4cyl trigger, if the 2.7 has huge delays.

BroncoNext

Heritage
First Name
Jill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Rubicon daily driver, ā€˜78 CJ for fun
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
If you have any doubts, go for the 2.7. Iā€™ve had several Jeeps and the first MY of the four door in 2007, the V6 had a measly 202 hp. It dogged at times. When I got my rubicon in 2015 I was so glad about the power upgrade.

270 seems decent for the Bronco 4 cyl but itā€™s HEAVY, think the 6 is definitely the way to go and you certainly wonā€™t kick yourself for your decision later on... even if you have to wait a few extra months.

ZackDanger

Badlands
First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I would order what you want and not worry about the potential delay items but you have until March to finalize your '21 order and still keep your spot in line. If you get pushed to '22 then you'll just get more options and colors to choose from so not a loss.
Also, if you order what you want, in April/May Ford will give you an estimate on delivery time frame and what options are causing a delay.

You can choose at that time to remove the offending options to get your Bronco sooner if you donā€™t like the delivery estimate.

EvlNvrDys

Banned
Big Bend
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'84 Bronco, '93 Bronco, '94 Bronco, 2012 Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Thanks!
Ed
You my friend are exactly who Ford is gunning for in the beginning... The previous Jeep owners who are NOT Jeep Fanboys. The Fanboys will probably never come over, same as Bronco Fanboys will probably never switch to Jeep. It's those inbetweeners that will try something new that they want.

With that said, you'll find all kinds of opinions in the 2.3l vs 2.7l camp. Me personally, I say go V8, BUT we can't have that. Therefor I choose the V6. There is LESS of a chance of the V6 not being able to tow than their is of the 4 cyl.

Your next question, do you wait? That's up to you. Yes there is the good possibility that 1st year model runs will have issues. But do I expect to see 100% of the run to have issues? No. In my opinion it's a crapshoot whether it's 1st year run or 5th year run. All vehicles have issues, the only question is, will it be the one that you are driving.

And don't expect to hold off for the 1st run and see any year end deals this year. Every Bronco being built this year is going to a customer, no dealer stock. Next years run will probably be mostly customer with possibly limited dealer stock. So you'd be looking at year #3 for any type of extra inventory that dealers will be looking move and incentivize.

Brings you up to the final question, do you need a Jeep right now? If so, save the money and go for it. Do I think the Bronco will ride better? Have more power? Less issues in the long run? Absolutely I do. But I'm one of those Ford Fanboys that won't drive a Jeep. Unless my wife asks me to fill up her tank, or I need to use our trailer ? But hopefully soon enough I'll have my Bronco in my driveway!
Sponsored