Sponsored

Got stuck in some water the other day. Looking for input on what to keep an eye on/change.

EazyCheezy

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Hey all, apologies if this is the wrong thread as this is my first post.

I need some advice on what to lookout for/what fluids I should preemptively change as I'm trying to avoid a potentially devastating repair. I'm driving a stock Black Diamond and accidentally veered off-course, getting it stuck in some sand/clay/water and part of the vehicle was submerged no deeper than 24" at the most and I was on an incline/angle (see pictures). I was stuck for about an hour and learned a valuable lesson about having recovery gear in the process. My Bronco is driving fine and nothing broke.

Luckily, the alternator seems fine (no sign of the water level getting that high). I thoroughly washed out ALL the sand from the underside. My rear diff was not submerged, but I think the 10 Speed Auto transmission was to an extent. Take a look at the pics and let me know. I just wanna know if I need to spend a few hundred on all oil changes instead of waiting for something to happen and spending a few thousand. Feel free to ask me any questions, thanks!

Ford Bronco Got stuck in some water the other day. Looking for input on what to keep an eye on/change. IMG_1004
Ford Bronco Got stuck in some water the other day. Looking for input on what to keep an eye on/change. IMG_1002
Ford Bronco Got stuck in some water the other day. Looking for input on what to keep an eye on/change. IMG_5618
Ford Bronco Got stuck in some water the other day. Looking for input on what to keep an eye on/change. IMG_1009
Sponsored

flip

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ruxerparts.com
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Pull your air filter and check for water/mud intrusion into the air box. It's probably going to have a bunch of crap in it so make sure you've got a replacement handy. Clean box out with damp rags.

Vents are above where you were stuck so I wouldn't be real concerned about water intrusion there. I would invest in a pressure washer with something like this.

https://www.amazon.com/Tool-Daily-D...9Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

E. Davis

Big Bend
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Velocity Blue
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Is this coastal / salt / brackish water? If so I would be immediately and thoroughly washing everything down with fresh water.

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Like flip said it looks like your gear case vents are higher than the water But you should check differential and transfer case lube through their plugs. Oil is lighter than water so it will float to the top, but if driven a while with water in it it will turn milky. As new as Broncos are the lube should look nice and oily or at worst black, if milky change it out

Sponsored

defiant2

Badlands
First Name
S
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 2-door Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
As others have mentioned, if salt water involved, rinse^3! Drive through some fresh water puddles at enough of a speed to splash off the underside good (but not enough to hydroplane or veer off the road (again, in your case!)!

If just fresh water? Rinse it off and enjoy. At least from the photos you posted, I've seen them go through far worse, including at the Off Rodeos.

Best!

OP
OP
EazyCheezy

EazyCheezy

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
check your front/rear diff fluids and t/case fluids as the vehicle was sitting until cooled off and may have pulled water in
Do you have any recommended guides for the front diff? I can't seem to find anything online.

OP
OP
EazyCheezy

EazyCheezy

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Is this coastal / salt / brackish water? If so I would be immediately and thoroughly washing everything down with fresh water.
Fresh water and yeah, already did that haha

OP
OP
EazyCheezy

EazyCheezy

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
As others have mentioned, if salt water involved, rinse^3! Drive through some fresh water puddles at enough of a speed to splash off the underside good (but not enough to hydroplane or veer off the road (again, in your case!)!

If just fresh water? Rinse it off and enjoy. At least from the photos you posted, I've seen them go through far worse, including at the Off Rodeos.

Best!
That's relieving to hear, thanks!

E. Davis

Big Bend
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Velocity Blue
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Fresh water and yeah, already did that haha
Sounds good. I can't tell you how many people I see at the boat launch dipping the back end of their vehicles into the salt water up to the top of their rear brake rotors. Makes me cringe, they will regret doing that, after a few months of corrosion binds up the brakes and causes all kinds of other havoc.

Sponsored

Rednek

Black Diamond
First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco BD/2023 Maverick XLT/02 F150/68 Torino
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Do you have any recommended guides for the front diff? I can't seem to find anything online.
do you have shift on fly t/c or advanced(auto)?

Rednek

Black Diamond
First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

1. Remove the engine rear undershield.
    Refer to: Engine Rear Undershield (501-02 Front End Body Panels, Removal and Installation).
  1. If equipped.
    Remove the retainers and the front fender splash shield.
Ford Bronco {thread} {filename}
  1. Remove and discard the front differential fill plug.
  1. Check and top off the differential with clean differential gear lubricant.
    Material: Motorcraft® SAE 80W-90 Premium Axle Lubricant / Lubrifiant pour essieux de très haute qualité SAE 80W-90 Motorcraft® / CXY-80W90-1L (WSP-M2C197-A)
  1. Make sure the front differential lubricant level should be to the bottom of fluid fill plug opening.

OP
OP
EazyCheezy

EazyCheezy

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Awesome thank you so much. Is the diff plug an OEM part or can I just get a replacement? I'm familiar with working on vehicles just not well-equipped off-roaders.

Rednek

Black Diamond
First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

wouldn't worry too much about the plug on a low millage unit,just use a little blue locktite on threads
Sponsored