Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BD Green Machine
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

welcome to the team. get 0 deductible and i'm trying the deflector. i got a chip in the first month..

buck_6G

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma TRD Pro
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
If you get a chip that's the size of a quarter or smaller, you can usually have that filled in by a company like Safelite - but I learned the hard way not to park in a garage in Texas afterwards, because the heat caused the chip to turn into a massive spider crack when the temperature caused the glass to expand.

Really looking forward to the mid-cycle refresh in 2024 when Ford hopefully fixes all of these ridiculous design flaws that cause:
  1. Frequently chipped windshield (due to upright angle)
  2. Immediate body chips (due to Sasquatch tire treat pattern)
  3. Easily snapped tie rods (cheap design/materials)
  4. Near-unavoidable roll bar scratches from normal operation of the soft top (how did this design ever leave the factory floor?!)
  5. 2.7L engine blowouts
And adds...
  1. PHEV drivetrain
  2. MGV option on all trims (wish list)
  3. Fender flares that work
  4. USB/12V power on the dash (wish list - the fact that this is part of the Lux package is ridiculous)
Don't get me wrong - I'm really looking forward to taking mine home, whenever that will be (ordered June 2021 & July 2021), but if they need more time for shakedown to produce a better product, I can wait.

The frequency of windshield chips/replacements should have been anticipated. Sure, it looks great in the showroom, but we're talking about a vehicle that people are going to use in the snow, rain, desert conditions. Ford owes customers more thoughtful design.

BulldogBear

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Badlands, 2000 Mercedes-Benz G500
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Sponsored

Hudman316

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
If you get a chip that's the size of a quarter or smaller, you can usually have that filled in by a company like Safelite - but I learned the hard way not to park in a garage in Texas afterwards, because the heat caused the chip to turn into a massive spider crack when the temperature caused the glass to expand.

Really looking forward to the mid-cycle refresh in 2024 when Ford hopefully fixes all of these ridiculous design flaws that cause:
  1. Frequently chipped windshield (due to upright angle)
  2. Immediate body chips (due to Sasquatch tire treat pattern)
  3. Easily snapped tie rods (cheap design/materials)
  4. Near-unavoidable roll bar scratches from normal operation of the soft top (how did this design ever leave the factory floor?!)
  5. 2.7L engine blowouts
And adds...
  1. PHEV drivetrain
  2. MGV option on all trims (wish list)
  3. Fender flares that work
  4. USB/12V power on the dash (wish list - the fact that this is part of the Lux package is ridiculous)
Don't get me wrong - I'm really looking forward to taking mine home, whenever that will be (ordered June 2021 & July 2021), but if they need more time for shakedown to produce a better product, I can wait.

The frequency of windshield chips/replacements should have been anticipated. Sure, it looks great in the showroom, but we're talking about a vehicle that people are going to use in the snow, rain, desert conditions. Ford owes customers more thoughtful design.

There is nothing they can do about the windshield. Welcome to owning a truck. The upright window angle will always result in chips and cracks from stones. Physics. Been a truck owner for 20+ years.

Last edited:

Pdshepherd

Wildtrak
First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None. Wife's Kia is my part time wheels
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Bronco was delivered Tuesday. Picked up on Wednesday evening. Not even through a quarter tank of gas and I got my first windshield chip.
Unreal. Sounds like my luck. 4 days old rearended. Broken windshield a few weeks ago. Replaced and chipped again within 2 days. 😡

buck_6G

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma TRD Pro
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
There is noting they can do about the windshield. Welcome to owning a truck. The upright window angle will always result in chips and cracks from stones. Physics. Been a truck owner for 20+ years.
They could always adjust the angle of the windshield! Personally, I wouldn't enjoy a Bronco with an exaggerated windshield rake angle, but small degrees of adjustment might make a meaningful difference.

By comparison, my Tacoma has a very raked back windshield, and rocks have mostly bounced off of it - even fairly large masses I'd have expected to crack it, because they're deflected sooner.

Maybe Ford will roll out PPF for windshields, and then we'll all get our Broncos in 2030!

GroovyGhost

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I drove different Wranglers for the last 25 years. I had to replace the windshield on all of them every 2-3 years. I personally doubt that can be adjusted in any helpful way without it looking completely different.

BulldogBear

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Badlands, 2000 Mercedes-Benz G500
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

By comparison, my Tacoma has a very raked back windshield, and rocks have mostly bounced off of it - even fairly large masses I'd have expected to crack it, because they're deflected sooner.

Maybe Ford will roll out PPF for windshields, and then we'll all get our Broncos in 2030!
I use Tacomas for my company's fleet vehicles. All 8 of them need a new windshield at least once a year, and that's even after we repair chips on our own in a timely fashion. (granted, they put on ~2x's the miles of an average driver).

My older G-Wagen and a friend's new iteration G are the same - frequent chips, and the newer G has a windshield with more rake, and unlike my G's flat front glass, his is curved.

I learned early on in my G-Wagen to leave lots of space between myself & the vehicle in front of me, and get in the lane with no one even remotely close in front of me as often as possible.

Sponsored

604Bronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bronco6g.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Space between vehicles can help immensely. I also highly recommend the hood deflector, for rocks and bugs.

jbellousux

Badlands
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘13 Land Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
On the way from Austin to Telluride, I hit a medium-sized bird at 70mph. Massive thud, but no crack.

After overnighting in Santa Fe, I wasn’t as lucky in northern New Mexico. On a recently graveled stretch, I purposely kept my distance from anybody in front of me. It didn’t matter as a rock tossed up in the air from a car headed the other way hit the windshield and starred it.

Just finished driving Ophir Pass from Silverton to Telluride. Lots of fun. I hope to hit Imogene Pass while here. Probably gonna pass on Black Bear.
Ford Bronco Got windshield chip not even 1/4 tank of gas in 4F24D8C4-2218-4502-9652-D6283E0D1A67

Headsong

Black Diamond
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Black Diamond non squatch 4 door softtop v6
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Had just had clear plex installed the day before.. First road trip at 70 mph caught a rock... Just a dying in the plastic. Yeah.

Derbystud

Outer Banks
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 F250 6.7
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
They could always adjust the angle of the windshield! Personally, I wouldn't enjoy a Bronco with an exaggerated windshield rake angle, but small degrees of adjustment might make a meaningful difference.

If you want a Chevy Blazer you should buy one instead of hoping they change what the rest of us want into what you want to buy.

buck_6G

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma TRD Pro
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
If you want a Chevy Blazer you should buy one instead of hoping they change what the rest of us want into what you want to buy.
If you feel minute adjustment of the windshield angle would make the current gen Bronco into a Chevy Blazer, you're really going to have the mid-cycle refresh in 2024.

Hey, bud, another thing - be respectful, or just keep it to yourself. It's a vehicle, not a religion.
Sponsored