Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.grangerford.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I've heard it said by a dealer an OEM (sometimes) will offer incentives targeting drivers of competing vehicles as a challenge to brand loyalty. Jeep Wrangler seems like it would fit that bill for Bronco.

I have to believe somewhere at Ford, they have a KPI which informs leadership as to the make and model of trade-ins, and the leadership probably cares much about how many Jeep Wranglers were traded in on Bronco.

Does someone trading in a Jeep Wrangler for a Bronco get any benefit?
Not really..

Conquest vehicles (your definition is what I was thinking) some times get an additional rebate on them if you are trading the competing (make/Model) in...

As for this the buzz is high enough that I would doubt Ford will incentivize it right away in that manner...

As for dealers giving more for a trade because of the cross selling, I cannot imagine the upside ii putting more in the trade than it is worth..
Sponsored

Realtor

Wildtrak
First Name
chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, GT350
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Not really..

Conquest vehicles (your definition is what I was thinking) some times get an additional rebate on them if you are trading the competing (make/Model) in...

As for this the buzz is high enough that I would doubt Ford will incentivize it right away in that manner...

As for dealers giving more for a trade because of the cross selling, I cannot imagine the upside ii putting more in the trade than it is worth..
Thank you for your patience and clarity. I'm looking forward to paying for and getting a nice vehicle at a more than fair price. Albert has cut through the 'magic' of car sales.
Incentives have a cost, and the revenue comes from somewhere that is less emotional. Ford is not likely to pay to gather old Jeeps. They will end up on the used car lot, or sent to the wholesaler. If we get more in trade, we will pay more for the product. I'm thinking about adding True Coat to my Bronco!

PulltheLeverBronc

Wildtrak
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 F-150 Platinum 2014 Flex Limited w/Ecoboost
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I have seen worse...had a customer trade a conversion van in that smelled awful, found that they had left some "groceries" under the rear seat and around 5 mice ran out when it was lifted up...:sick:

Yup I was scared, as a much younger man had those furry critters run up my pant legs while cleaning out a grain bin, did not want relive that lovely experience again..?
I see you and I are both men of culture...grain bin mice experiences growing up on a farm in Iowa are not soon forgotten!!

Bimmerxi

Black Diamond
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger, BMW R1200GSA
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I have been asked this question numerous times, so I decided to make a post all its own, so it does not get lost in the thread jungle.

I will be using 3 scenarios as they have played out here on the Forum.

For the base line I will be using a trade in that has:
  • KBB retail value of $12,500
  • KBB trade value of $10,000
  • a wholesale (ACV) of $8,500
For the baseline vehicle I will use the Ranger: attached invoice.
  • $45,115 - MSRP – window sticker
  • $43,304 - Invoice
  • $43,406 - X-Plan

• Dealer A - Full retail MSRP no discounts
  • Dealer B - X Plan pricing
  • Dealer C - Granger Ford example
    • $1000 under invoice
    • $1300 under invoice with x plan
Dealer A
Dealer C
Dealer B
Dealer C
* $1,000 under invoice
* $1,300 under invoice
Sale Price​
45,115​
42,304​
43,406​
42,004​
Trade "value"
10,500​
8,500​
8,500​
8,500​
Trade Difference
34,615​
33,804​
34,906​
33,504​

As you can see in the example (simplistic for sure) that your main concern should not be the trade in “value” but the trade difference as that is what you pay for the vehicle less your trade in..

To equal Dealer C’s price:
  • Dealer A would need to “show” a trade value of $11,311 for the same deal as Dealer C $1000 under
  • Dealer B would need to “show” a trade value of $ 9,902 for the same deal as Dealer C $1,300 under.

Dealer A
Dealer C
Dealer B
Dealer C
* $1,000 under invoice
* $1,300 under invoice
Sale Price
45,115​
42,304​
43,406​
42,004​
Trade "value"
8,500​
8,500​
Trade Difference
33,804​
33,804​
33,504​
33,504​

Therefore, I say that there are 2 transaction when trading in a vehicle and buying another.

We are selling you one and you are selling us one...
Great explanation and honesty but based on my experience most dealers will not be giving KBB trade in values, but wholesale only.

Sponsored

Razorbak86

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, BMW R1150 GS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm thinking about adding True Coat to my Bronco!
That TruCoat, you don't get it and you get oxidization problems. It'll cost you a heck of lot more'n five hundred!

GaryB2220

Badlands
First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'99 4runner, '10 Town & Country
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Lol. I'm sure there are a few of us that don't have a trade in with diddly squat. My 3rd gen 4runner is so rusted and broke it's been at the garage for a month just to get the bare minimum to pass inspection. I'll get more for the competitor trade-in rebate ($500) than what I would get for trade in or the salvage yard

OP
OP
Granger Ford

Granger Ford

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.grangerford.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I see you and I are both men of culture...grain bin mice experiences growing up on a farm in Iowa are not soon forgotten!!
? yes there are thing that you never forget and some things that you just cannot unsee...

OP
OP
Granger Ford

Granger Ford

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.grangerford.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Great explanation and honesty but based on my experience most dealers will not be giving KBB trade in values, but wholesale only.
We will be at ACV because we have no Fluff to give...

If the dealer is at MSRP then they have fluff to give some love to the customer...

zconner1

Badlands
First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Agree the values I was quoted for my Rubicon and Mini were NOT KBB for sure.

Sponsored

xusarmy

Outer Banks
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Outer Banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Pretty much how NJ works...
Let's say vehicle sells for $30k- $15k (trade in) = $15k gets taxed by our wonderful guvment (yeah that's my hooked on phonics spelling for government, who we absolutely love out here in NJ because they tax the shit out of us!)
Best part is when you buy a used vehicle (which was already taxed at original sale) and get to pay full taxes on it.
Or if you buy used privately and pay 'X' amount, then NJ sends you a bill for 'Y' amount because they say your vehicle is worth more than what you 'claim' to have paid for it.

Ok, back to your original programming, I'm done with my rant now (y)

Thats how it works in Texas too, you ain't alone

zconner1

Badlands
First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

? yes there are thing that you never forget and some things that you just cannot unsee...
Lucky for me I just worked the corn (soybean, wheat, ect) fields in good old Nebraska never had to crawl into the grain cylos thank god but did have plenty of interesting rodent, animal, insect encounters none the less.

OP
OP
Granger Ford

Granger Ford

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.grangerford.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Lucky for me I just worked the corn (soybean, wheat, ect) fields in good old Nebraska never had to crawl into the grain cylos thank god but did have plenty of interesting rodent, animal, insect encounters none the less.
Yup plenty of critters in the fields and barns as well...

BigBend21

Big Bend
First Name
Xavier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Challenger
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I have been asked this question numerous times, so I decided to make a post all its own, so it does not get lost in the thread jungle.

I will be using 3 scenarios as they have played out here on the Forum.

For the base line I will be using a trade in that has:
  • KBB retail value of $12,500
  • KBB trade value of $10,000
  • a wholesale (ACV) of $8,500
For the baseline vehicle I will use the Ranger: attached invoice.
  • $45,115 - MSRP – window sticker
  • $43,304 - Invoice
  • $43,406 - X-Plan

• Dealer A - Full retail MSRP no discounts
  • Dealer B - X Plan pricing
  • Dealer C - Granger Ford example
    • $1000 under invoice
    • $1300 under invoice with x plan
Dealer A
Dealer C
Dealer B
Dealer C
* $1,000 under invoice
* $1,300 under invoice
Sale Price​
45,115​
42,304​
43,406​
42,004​
Trade "value"
10,500​
8,500​
8,500​
8,500​
Trade Difference
34,615​
33,804​
34,906​
33,504​

As you can see in the example (simplistic for sure) that your main concern should not be the trade in “value” but the trade difference as that is what you pay for the vehicle less your trade in..

To equal Dealer C’s price:
  • Dealer A would need to “show” a trade value of $11,311 for the same deal as Dealer C $1000 under
  • Dealer B would need to “show” a trade value of $ 9,902 for the same deal as Dealer C $1,300 under.

Dealer A
Dealer C
Dealer B
Dealer C
* $1,000 under invoice
* $1,300 under invoice
Sale Price
45,115​
42,304​
43,406​
42,004​
Trade "value"
8,500​
8,500​
Trade Difference
33,804​
33,804​
33,504​
33,504​

Therefore, I say that there are 2 transaction when trading in a vehicle and buying another.

We are selling you one and you are selling us one...
I bought a 2019 Dodge Challenger just last year so I’ll probably have some negative equity. I thought my Chally was a great choice at the time and I still love it but my heart is with the Bronco. Anyone else in a Neg. Equity position? :/

Hobgoblin

Badlands
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘15 Touareg, ‘10 Jetta, ‘07 Pilot
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I worked those fields as well. Was just telling my kids that we used to wear the bandanas to keep from getting cut by the corn leaves. Now we wear them to protect from a virus.
Sponsored