First Name
Kendall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Touareg TDI
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Part 2: Why the SMOG test on a new vehicle and what the hell are monitors?

All automotive dealerships in California are governed by California Law and expressly forbidden from installing any non-CARB compliant device or modification - or risk facing SEVERE penalties. However smog laws in different states vary - and none of them are governed by California law. For example, let's say a dealership in Texas will install headers on your new Mustang and include that cost in the financing of the vehicle. (Lets assume that legal in Texas.) Well, although the Mustang may be new and 50-state SMOG compliant, it is no longer compliant with the laws of California. Therefore, CA requires that ANY new car brought in from out of state must first pass a CA smog test by a certified station (which also, of course includes a visual inspection.)

As part of the Federal OBD2 standard, the ECU of modern day vehicles is responsible to insure that the vehicle is in compliance with emissions laws and STAYS in compliance throughout its intended life cycle. As such, the ECU will periodically run tests to make sure everything is hunky-dory. These tests include but are not limited to Catalyst, EGR, and EVAP - these are the ones that CARB cares about. As a car ages, one day maybe the cats are no longer effective and the ECU's responsibility (Federal requirement) is to detect this and turn on the check engine light - telling the owner to get it fixed. Another example is the fuel or EVAP system. Ever hear of a CEL because the fuel cap is off or not tight? This is because the EVAP test fails, thinking there's a massive hole in the fuel system releasing deadly toxins into the air and killing the last of the unicorns. I digress.

So, the ECU has something called monitors. Each of "big 3" that I mentioned, CAT, EGR and EVAP will have an associated monitor. The monitor simply states that the internal ECU test has run. As a brand new car, none of the monitors will be set (none of the internal tests have run). The ECU needs to "see" certain conditions before it will decide to run the test. Sometimes it can be frustrating for owners trying to get their monitors to "set". The most common occurrence is after changing the battery. Changing the battery will cause all of the monitors to un-set. Ford has openly published their recommended drive cycle for setting the monitors. It can be found HERE.

When you take your new Bronco or any other car to a CA Smog Test station, the first check is to see if the monitors have been set. If any(*) of them are not set, you will be sent on your way. But if the monitors are all set AND there is no check engine light - then the smog station knows that the test MUST have passed. That's literally all of what the CA smog stations are doing. They connect to your OBD2 port and their machine is connected to Sacramento and they read your ECU. They are looking to insure that all of the monitors are set and that there is no active or pending check engines lights.

Hope all of that helps - likely more than you wanted to know.

(*) - subject to change, but CA will currently allow a vehicle to pass smog if the EVAP monitor is not set - as long as all of the others are good.
Sponsored

SasquashJP

Badlands
First Name
John-Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yukon Denali
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I too am in the Los Angeles and will be purchasing through Granger. I have purchased many - both new and used vehicles out of state and the registered them here in SoCal.

1. Yes, the new vehicle must be 50-state smog compliant. (The Bronco will be.) This will be checked when you complete the Verification of Vehicle process - see (3) below.
2. You will need to complete a SMOG test. Simply take the Bronco to a SMOG test station and they will scan the VIN and then connect to the OBD2 port. Important note: If you drive the Bronco from Granger back to SoCal, your SMOG monitors in the ECU will already be set. However, if you ship the Bronco to SoCal, you may need to drive it approximately 20-50 miles to get the monitors to set. The monitors MUST be set before the SMOG station can perform the test. (More about this in a second post.) Anyway, complete the SMOG test and this will be recorder in the Sacramento database.
3. Finally, you will need a completed Verification of Vehicle form. You can find it HERE. Note that the form itself is Attachment A and you should NOT fill it out by yourself. The DMV will complete this form for you.

Make an appt with the DMV or choose to wait in line forever - your choice. But, if an appointment, plan to show up 45 minutes or so BEFORE your appointment. Take the Bronco to the line where the DMV is administering Driver's test and wait there and look as pitiful as possible. One of the DMV persons will eventually ask yo why you are there and you tell them you need a Verification of Vehicle. They will then inspect the Bronco and complete the form.

Finally, you are now ready to go inside. When it is your turn, present your purchase contract from Granger as well as your Verification of Vehicle form. Also confirm that you have completed the SMOG test. Be prepared to write a check for both the sales tax and the registration costs. They will check their computer for the presence of the SMOG test and they will take your money and hand you a set of license plates and the tags.

All in all, it is an easy process.
So will I be taxed twice?

Thed

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 GX460 '16 Miata '67 F-100 '21 Streetfighter V4
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I'm REALLY considering going in on this even in NC. Curious how much shipping to 27615 would be...

CoolTech

Wildtrak
First Name
Kendall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Touareg TDI
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
No, you will NOT be taxed twice. Granger will NOT collect the taxes for the transaction from you. Instead, you will have to pay the CA tax (based on your registration zip code) when you go to the DMV to register the Bronco.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Granger Ford

Granger Ford

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.grangerford.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Hey Granger. A coworker went thru the reservation process with Tesla. After two years on the list he gets a call and is told his ride is here and ready for pick up. He was given 3 days to pick it up or it was going to the next customer. Luckily he was in town and not away on vacation when the call came in.

What kind of pick up time window do you see Granger giving? I live 1400 miles away and will trade in my Jeep. I want the trade in to lower the tax on the Bronco price and that why I am not going to simply sell my trade in here.

I need two days to drive there after told to pick it up. I am not sure but I don’t think riding in a car hauler is allowed so even if I shipped it early I still need to fly there. So I am left with driving it myself.

Is Granger going to have a max # days to show up and get the Bronco? I imagine your going to need every bit of parking space for new Broncos and don’t want Broncos on your lot for extended periods of time.

We will not put a 3 day limit on customers....

There is not going to be a set number of days as we have some active duty soldiers that will have to do the process differently and will requires much more time...

We will not sell your rides out from under you....

OP
OP
Granger Ford

Granger Ford

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.grangerford.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

What is that Order Guide thing?
You will see, the F-150 and Bronco Sport side of the forum has them already posted...

The Bronco one has not come out...

We cannot publicly release them per our dealer agreement...

The admin seems to have an inside source for them...

OP
OP
Granger Ford

Granger Ford

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.grangerford.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm REALLY considering going in on this even in NC. Curious how much shipping to 27615 would be...
I would recommend Stephens Automotive they are closer and great people as well...

You can PM them at @StephensAutoCenter

OP
OP
Granger Ford

Granger Ford

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.grangerford.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Although I'm intrigued but the possibility of group shipments to Colorado, I still think I might fly out drive it back since. Hopefully my build will happen before snow/road "sanding" but even if it's' late summer or fall before taking it on the highway I would prefer to have some brand of clear bra applied to the front facing surfaces (around the grill and windshield). @Granger Ford do you that work in house or have an installer you work with? If so it would be great to have that price included when I place my order. And would it be possible to get an estimate before then?
We have a local company that does that for us, I do not have a quote on it yet but I will have Jay look into it for me...

Used2jeep

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Crown Vic P71
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

You will see, the F-150 and Bronco Sport side of the forum has them already posted...

The Bronco one has not come out...

We cannot publicly release them per our dealer agreement...

The admin seems to have an inside source for them...
Thank you Sir. I would never intend to ask for something that would jeopardize someones employment.

Sponsored

5280Bronco

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
02 Mustang GT, 05 Volvo V70R, 17 Mazda 6
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

We have a local company that does that for us, I do not have a quote on it yet but I will have Jay look into it for me...
I agree, i would be interested in this as well.

Thed

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 GX460 '16 Miata '67 F-100 '21 Streetfighter V4
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I would recommend Stephens Automotive they are closer and great people as well...

You can PM them at @StephensAutoCenter
Now that is some good-ol'-boy southern business right there. Doing right by the customer and helping out a peer. Hats off.

djteotancolis

Badlands
First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Genesis G80 3.8
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
A couple of questions, sorry if they have been asked already.

1: Since I am in GA and would like to drive it back myself? Do we get a temporary tag to drive it off the lot?

2: Are you going to offer PPF in house if I would like to have something done before leaving the dealership?

I have not decided where I am going to order from, I am in Atlanta (Any recommendations that is not going to do ADM)

OP
OP
Granger Ford

Granger Ford

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.grangerford.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Great questions...

1: Since I am in GA and would like to drive it back myself? Do we get a temporary tag to drive it off the lot?

Yes you will get a transit tag to drive the Bronco...

2: Are you going to offer PPF in house if I would like to have something done before leaving the dealership?

We have a vendor that does that but I have not gotten the quote back from them yet as to price...

They are not onsite and the Bronco would need to be driven to them for the process...

dejones64

Black Diamond
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco 2-dr Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

When B&P comes out and we're picking and choosing, the prices listed I imagine are MSRP. For those with Granger and other dealers offering below invoice, how do we budget pick and choose not knowing what invoice is on the options. I realize nobody probably has an answer but just throwing this out there.
Sponsored