SeventyOne

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1971 Bronco, 2014 Grand Cherokee
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
How does sales tax work on new cars now? If I live in CA and say I bought in Iowa, do I pay sales tax here or there? Or do I end up paying no sales tax ( I know this was possible 15-20 years ago but not sure if you can get away with that now lol)
Sponsored

Jmcc

Wildtrak
First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mini
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I purchased a vehicle in Oklahoma not long ago and paid no tax there because I did not register the vehicle there. I paid in Texas when I registered the vehicle there. I would think California would be the same.

jasminekd

Big Bend
First Name
Jasmine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Camry
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

So glad I made my second reservation with Granger! It's about a 1000 mile drive for me, but don't mind a road trip to break the new bronco in!

I wonder if there will be any delay going with Granger due to the sheer volume they have to process, probably worth the wait for the price though...
I wonder this too! I’ve made two reservations. One local and one at Granger!

GreenWaveBronco

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Accord
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I wonder this too! I’ve made two reservations. One local and one at Granger!
And just to clarify, I'm not directing this at Granger Motors at all! Honestly, it's more on Ford and the logistics of getting so many orders through the same dealership. Will be interesting to see.

MJJ

Wildtrak
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler Rubicon, Jeep Wagoneer, Colorado ZR2
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
How does sales tax work on new cars now? If I live in CA and say I bought in Iowa, do I pay sales tax here or there? Or do I end up paying no sales tax ( I know this was possible 15-20 years ago but not sure if you can get away with that now lol)
You do not pay tax in Iowa if you do not register the car there.

Sponsored

GotWake

Badlands
First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

If my dealership tries to do a markup, I will switch my reservation. My buddy just got his C8 corvette and the local dealer posted an ad for one that they are charging 131k for. It just pisses me off when dealerships do that stuff. I don’t mind them making money, but I would rather it not be all from me.

you4x4

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Type R
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

You will pay the pay the sales tax either way, and the rate will be based on which city/county you plan to register the car. The car dealership can process the sale as a "California" purchase, and tax you at the time of purchase, or sell it to you tax-free and you'll pay the sales tax at the time of registration at the California DMV. Whatever ends up happening, CA DMV will check and make sure the proper sales tax is paid, and go from there.

Source: I financed a car out of state a few years ago, and used my CA address.

P.S. I had to do a CA smog test before going to the DMV and finalizing the registration process. They also did an inspection on the car before they signed me off.

DBOZ

Black Diamond
First Name
Daren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Genesis, Acura
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Can Granger also do X plan pricing on top of this? ROAD TRIP!

Sponsored

DBOZ

Black Diamond
First Name
Daren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Genesis, Acura
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Thanks , did not know how it works!

AllNamesInUse

Black Diamond
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 F250HD, 13 Golf TDI, 91 240sx
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I was gonna ship to Georgia but now im thinking ill fly in and enjoy a nice 13 hour trip split into 2 days in the new Bronco. Maybe find some places to get it dirty on the way.
Thinking about taking the same approach. Also in GA.

SouthernBronco6g

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
I was gonna ship to Georgia but now im thinking ill fly in and enjoy a nice 13 hour trip split into 2 days in the new Bronco. Maybe find some places to get it dirty on the way.
Talking with the wife, we might do something similar if we can’t find a comparable dealer in our area that values their customers.

Laserdoc

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram dually
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Both of my reservations are through Granger. The last vehicle I bought through Granger I had a driver bring it back to PA. for the bronco, I'm definitely going to hit some off-road areas. One of my favorite is Saint Anthony dunes in Rexburg Idaho.

Jamzoii

Badlands
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 f250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
How does shipping work? Can I buy at out of state dealership but have it shipped to me?
Sponsored