Reaction score
Website
www.mikedelninno.com
Vehicle(s)
2005 Ford Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Definitely would love to get rid of my old carry-on compressor and go to on-board. I'm looking at either a single or dual ARB Compressor and bowling it down to GRIMM or KR mounts.

Anyone have any opinions on mounting either vertically or horizontally? I plan on wiring to AUX switches.

GRIMM PROS/CONS:

+Vertical mount seems to provide more head space with hood.
+Easier access to the PCM module in case you have to remove or work on it.
+Wiring harness is easy (but that's only if you plan on using provided switch connection, not AUX switches). If not, you still have to wire to AUX.
- Only works with Twin and not singular compressor.

KR OFF ROAD PROS/CONS:

+(-)Mounts horizontally (not sure it matters), although I saw a few posts on problems with the filter cap hitting hood. I'm thinking they didn't adjust angle enough.
+(-)Don't need to move PCM module but may be more difficult to access later.
+Works with both Twin and Singular compressor. This is a plus since I'm leaning towards a Singular and not Twin ARB Compressor.
(-)Wiring harness not as easy as GRIMM but still have to wire to AUX switches.

Price and quality about the same.

Any tips on either one is appreciated.
Sponsored

contented

Badlands
First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW M2 Competition
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Here's what I did, horizontal. Vertical or horizontal, doesn't seem to make much difference IMHO. There is only so much room. Dropped several tools and fasteners behind fender liners, which I had to take out to get the dropped stuff. I wired a switch next to the chuck. Just my preference.

Hope this helps.

Ford Bronco GRIMM vs KR Off Road ARB Mount IMG_0915

Ford Bronco GRIMM vs KR Off Road ARB Mount IMG_0916

Ford Bronco GRIMM vs KR Off Road ARB Mount IMG_0919

Ford Bronco GRIMM vs KR Off Road ARB Mount IMG_0920

Gtrekker

Wildtrak
First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Braptor, Audi, M1102 Overland Trailer 2-B
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Here's what I did, horizontal. Vertical or horizontal, doesn't seem to make much difference IMHO. There is only so much room. Dropped several tools and fasteners behind fender liners, which I had to take out to get the dropped stuff. I wired a switch next to the chuck. Just my preference.

Hope this helps.

LIke it... Did the switch/chuck mounting plate come with the kit? I don't see it. Thx!

Dadsquatch

Outer Banks
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I went KR for not having to touch the PCM. Plus I kind of like seeing the ARB when you pop the hood. The vertical mount hides how pretty it is IMO, lol. I have yet to install mine though since it just showed up.

OP
OP
Mikey D

Mikey D

Outer Banks
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.mikedelninno.com
Vehicle(s)
2005 Ford Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Hope this helps.

Nice. Maybe I'll reconsider the twin vs. single.

Sponsored

contented

Badlands
First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW M2 Competition
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
LIke it... Did the switch/chuck mounting plate come with the kit? I don't see it. Thx!
The switch bracket, flexible hose from compressor to chuck, and dust cover for the chuck I bought somewhere else, don't remember where. I also had to teach myself about fuse taps and their different sizes to bring power to the switch. It's easy once you know how.

Gtrekker

Wildtrak
First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Braptor, Audi, M1102 Overland Trailer 2-B
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

The switch bracket, flexible hose from compressor to chuck, and dust cover for the chuck I bought somewhere else, don't remember where. I also had to teach myself about fuse taps and their different sizes to bring power to the switch. It's easy once you know how.
Thanks, you did good! Looks clean that way you mounted the bracket.

Havanajoe

Badlands
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi S5 coupe. Tesla Model Y
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I did the Grimm mount it wasn’t terrible to install just 1 bolt was a pain
the wiring was straight forward and I used the supplied switch.
Ford Bronco GRIMM vs KR Off Road ARB Mount CD019D02-AC21-47CB-AC78-DD5FF4AE00B6
Ford Bronco GRIMM vs KR Off Road ARB Mount 0A9F7F0E-17E9-477D-AC32-A359F7F93325

Merc4x4

Badlands
First Name
steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I have the kr and one thing I don’t like is it fastens to both the body and frame. The jcr mount looks like it is attached to just the body.

Ford Bronco GRIMM vs KR Off Road ARB Mount 029B5A88-0A9C-4BE9-A30E-97215B7F0F4D

Sponsored
OP
OP
Mikey D

Mikey D

Outer Banks
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.mikedelninno.com
Vehicle(s)
2005 Ford Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I did the Grimm mount it wasn’t terrible to install just 1 bolt was a pain
the wiring was straight forward and I used the supplied switch.
If I go Twin, the GRIMM is probably the one. The install looks pretty easy, and I may even just use the switch provided instead of AUX. The harness looks super simple, and wiring isn't one of my strong points.

RC Bronco

Black Diamond
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Ford Bronco, '97 Geo Tracker
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I’m leaning the GRIMM route for ease of install and included switch; only catch is if I want to relocate control box for a winch, such as Apex Badlands, compressor is in about the only spot the box will fit

4x4TruckLEDs.com

Outer Banks
Squatch Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.4x4TruckLEDs.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Raptor & 2021 Bronco Outer Banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Definitely would love to get rid of my old carry-on compressor and go to on-board. I'm looking at either a single or dual ARB Compressor and bowling it down to GRIMM or KR mounts.

Anyone have any opinions on mounting either vertically or horizontally? I plan on wiring to AUX switches.

GRIMM PROS/CONS:

+Vertical mount seems to provide more head space with hood.
+Easier access to the PCM module in case you have to remove or work on it.
+Wiring harness is easy (but that's only if you plan on using provided switch connection, not AUX switches). If not, you still have to wire to AUX.
- Only works with Twin and not singular compressor.

KR OFF ROAD PROS/CONS:

+(-)Mounts horizontally (not sure it matters), although I saw a few posts on problems with the filter cap hitting hood. I'm thinking they didn't adjust angle enough.
+(-)Don't need to move PCM module but may be more difficult to access later.
+Works with both Twin and Singular compressor. This is a plus since I'm leaning towards a Singular and not Twin ARB Compressor.
(-)Wiring harness not as easy as GRIMM but still have to wire to AUX switches.

Price and quality about the same.

Any tips on either one is appreciated.
The ARB Compressor w/coupler does not hit the hood if you angle it 45 degrees (reay easy to do). If you don't angle it, yes it'll possibly hit, which is why the ARB Twin lets you rotate the outlet port for this reason.

The wiring harness is plug and play with our kit... you basically just attach the positive and negative wires off the ARB Compressor (which plugs right into the compressor) and then crimp on 1 single wire off the arb compressor to your factory upfitter switch. REAL easy.

Not sure why you'd need to access the PCM module ever... but it's still accessible it's in the exact same location since it doesn't move.

Our KR Off-Road mount is by far the easiest mount out there. There's a few videos of all the compressor kits on the market and you'll see ours is the easiest to install. You also save 10% on the entire kit when you use coupon code BRONCO6G and it's in stock, shipping right away.

BTW I see your from Ormond Beach... I used to live there for 5-6 years (my dad still lives there actually). I was in the Trails, but my dad lives out in the county now just past 95.

I’m leaning the GRIMM route for ease of install and included switch; only catch is if I want to relocate control box for a winch, such as Apex Badlands, compressor is in about the only spot the box will fit
Our KR Off-Road mount actually installs a LOT easier. A switch is included with the ARB Compressors BTW, but it's not needed if you have a truck with overhead upfitters (you'll use the overhead upfitters to turn it on and off).

We also make a mounting kit that lets you put a switch AND a coupler next to the compressor if you want go to that route.

OP
OP
Mikey D

Mikey D

Outer Banks
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.mikedelninno.com
Vehicle(s)
2005 Ford Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

The ARB Compressor w/coupler does not hit the hood if you angle it 45 degrees (reay easy to do). If you don't angle it, yes it'll possibly hit, which is why the ARB Twin lets you rotate the outlet port for this reason.

The wiring harness is plug and play with our kit... you basically just attach the positive and negative wires off the ARB Compressor (which plugs right into the compressor) and then crimp on 1 single wire off the arb compressor to your factory upfitter switch. REAL easy.

Not sure why you'd need to access the PCM module ever... but it's still accessible it's in the exact same location since it doesn't move.

Our KR Off-Road mount is by far the easiest mount out there. There's a few videos of all the compressor kits on the market and you'll see ours is the easiest to install. You also save 10% on the entire kit when you use coupon code BRONCO6G and it's in stock, shipping right away.

BTW I see your from Ormond Beach... I used to live there for 5-6 years (my dad still lives there actually). I was in the Trails, but my dad lives out in the county now just past 95.

Our KR Off-Road mount actually installs a LOT easier. A switch is included with the ARB Compressors BTW, but it's not needed if you have a truck with overhead upfitters (you'll use the overhead upfitters to turn it on and off).

We also make a mounting kit that lets you put a switch AND a coupler next to the compressor if you want go to that route.
Thanks Guys for the info, and definitely appreciate the 6G discount!!!

Does the single also let you rotate the outlet 45 degrees? Although based on everyone's input, it looks like the Twin is the way to go.

Plug and play for me is really helpful, and I would like to use the AUX switch since I have them.

I checked out install vids, and both GRIMM and KR look pretty easy.

Once I install, I'll drive out to your DAD's place and he can help me wire it up, lol (unless your in town).

Thanks again for all the help and support.

4x4TruckLEDs.com

Outer Banks
Squatch Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.4x4TruckLEDs.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Raptor & 2021 Bronco Outer Banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Thanks Guys for the info, and definitely appreciate the 6G discount!!!

Does the single also let you rotate the outlet 45 degrees? Although based on everyone's input, it looks like the Twin is the way to go.

Plug and play for me is really helpful, and I would like to use the AUX switch since I have them.

I checked out install vids, and both GRIMM and KR look pretty easy.

Once I install, I'll drive out to your DAD's place and he can help me wire it up, lol (unless your in town).

Thanks again for all the help and support.
Yes the single can be installed in a variety of ways to suit your needs. You WILL need a T-adapter though if you are installing the single, as you need an extra port for the pressure switch. The T-adapter is included with the pump up kit though. Otherwise if you opt not to get the pump up kit AND plant to use the twist-in coupler from ARB, you want these

Coupler: https://www.4x4truckleds.com/arb-air-hose-coupler-1-4-npt-screw-on-fitting/

Tee: https://www.4x4truckleds.com/arb-adapter-1-4-npt-m-f-f-tee-2pk/

But again if you get the pump up kit those are in the pump up kit already. The Tee is only needed on the SINGLE and IF you plan to have the coupler attached right to the compressor. Otherwise you can use a manifold on the single but it's not really required.

The pump up kit is the way to go since you get your coupler, tee and a hose

I dunno bout him installing anything. If you go there you'll just end up sitting in the garage drinking beer.

If you are on any of the swip swap FB pages you've seen my dads posts. He fixes generators for people.
Sponsored