Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch of Jeeps
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

After seeing these pics of @ChrisD taking his Bronco on a rock crawling trail, and having another conversation about the four different basic Bronco chassis, I thought I'd post and see if we can get some undercarriage pics of 2.3L and 2.7L chassis. My understanding is there are 4 chassis, 2.3 2dr and 4dr, and 2.7 2dr and 4dr. The 2.7 has a K element in the chassis. Can some of you lucky folks who already have your Broncos show some undercarriage pics and tell us what you have?

Here is a pic of the undercarriage after a trail run. This really shouldn't be hard to modify in advance to improve the design, and to protect, but it sure appears that it's something to pay attention to. I think the 2.3's don't have these pieces.

Ford Bronco Ground Clearance Difference 2.3L and 2.7L Chassis IMG_1840
Ford Bronco Ground Clearance Difference 2.3L and 2.7L Chassis IMG_1841
Sponsored

telenerd

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Can’t tell from photo but it just looks like the black paint is chipped and cracking

MaverickMan

Black Diamond
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 bronco sport 91 comanche eliminator 93 v8 zj
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Can’t tell from photo but it just looks like the black paint is chipped and cracking
Thats because it was dragged across rocks and when the metal flexed the paint released. I would take em off. Hammer and reweld everything then put many coats of paint on them.

ChrisD

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Badlands, 2021 Lincoln Corsair
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Thats because it was dragged across rocks and when the metal flexed the paint released. I would take em off. Hammer and reweld everything then put many coats of paint on them.
Frankly, I'm probably going to get with some fabrication guys in the area and try to come up with a better solution. This whole assembly should be tucked up a lot closer so it doesn't extend below the frame nearly as much.

For the short term, your solution is exactly correct. :)

Sponsored

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 88 Bronco II, 03 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Frankly, I'm probably going to get with some fabrication guys in the area and try to come up with a better solution. This whole assembly should be tucked up a lot closer so it doesn't extend below the frame nearly as much.

For the short term, your solution is exactly correct. :)
I see plenty of room for improvement and it can function as another skid if built strong.

MoabRox

Black Diamond
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Two Jeep XJs, Dodge M880, Suburban 2500
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
confirmed in my pdi video that the 2.3 4dr BD does not have these supports
This great news to me, as some day (assuming the Dirt Mountain doesn't fall on it or the field mice eat it) I'll have a 2 door, 2.3L.

OP
OP
goatman

goatman

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch of Jeeps
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

I see plenty of room for improvement and it can function as another skid if built strong.
I agree. A case of the right hand not knowing what the left hand was doing...for the various engineers involved in the design. Someone decided the 2.7, based on it's torque curve, needed some additional bracing, and without consulting the other engineers who were trying to keep it a very capable off road vehicle, just added on some low hanging braces.

Easy to see how the design can be improved. Those of us with fabrication ability could easily make an improvement. Let's see what the aftermarket comes up with. And, if a good improved piece is made, it would be an option to add to the 2.3's if desired.

Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
I agree. A case of the right hand not knowing what the left hand was doing...for the various engineers involved in the design. Someone decided the 2.7, based on it's torque curve, needed some additional bracing, and without consulting the other engineers who were trying to keep it a very capable off road vehicle, just added on some low hanging braces.

Easy to see how the design can be improved. Those of us with fabrication ability could easily make an improvement. Let's see what the aftermarket comes up with. And, if a good improved piece is made, it would be an option to add to the 2.3's if desired.
There are only 2 chassis, regardless of engine.

FWIW, the development cost, per chassis, these days is about $4-9 billion dollars depending on who you ask. https://www.autoblog.com/2010/07/27/why-does-it-cost-so-much-for-automakers-to-develop-new-models/

Now, onto the bracing: OEM's have been adding chassis bracing for higher specific output engines since the end of WWII. This is nothing new. There are also chassis bracing improvements for vehicles with specific use needs in excess of the engineered average.

The former Ford Engineer, P. A. Schilke accidentally started the racing truck division of the SCCA with the factory-backed Saleen program. He has some amazing stories about the additional modifications they learned they needed (plus great info on what type of pigtails to use, and why you never solder an electrical crimp/splice on a motor vehicle). Great reading in here.

https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/threads/the-history-of-the-saleen-race-trucks.5344/

Sorry that was all tangentially on topic, but directly on topic: Making bracing to take a beating, then having that bracing take a beating is not exactly marketing wizardry and lies. Eventually they need replacing or simply upgrading with stouter aftermarket solutions.

Sponsored
OP
OP
goatman

goatman

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch of Jeeps
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Sorry that was all tangentially on topic, but directly on topic: Making bracing to take a beating, then having that bracing take a beating is not exactly marketing wizardry and lies. Eventually they need replacing or simply upgrading with stouter aftermarket solutions.
Only point was to verify those braces aren't on a 2.3, and so 2.7 owners can be aware and take measures to improve it...if they want to rock crawl with their Bronco. Be aware that there is a difference, whatever we want to call it. Interesting that I heard there was a difference, right at the same time that this particular trip report was posted showing the banged up braces.

ChrisD

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Hey, so I got under the Bronco this morning with a tape measure. Those K braces sit at about 10". The skid plates sit up about 11".

My skid plates look almost new. Those brackets took a beating. What a difference 1 inch makes.

Also, there's no point having stuff that hangs down lower than the skid plates - I mean, seriously. What's the point of skid plates if you're going to stick a bunch of stuff lower down under the frame?

OP
OP
goatman

goatman

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch of Jeeps
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Hey, so I got under the Bronco this morning with a tape measure. Those K braces sit at about 10". The skid plates sit up about 11".

My skid plates look almost new. Those brackets took a beating. What a difference 1 inch makes.

Also, there's no point having stuff that hangs down lower than the skid plates - I mean, seriously. What's the point of skid plates if you're going to stick a bunch of stuff lower down under the frame?
Exactly. To the point I made (speculating) above about different engineers.

BTW, part of the reason there are no marks on the skid plate is the K braces held the load so the rocks didn't get to the skid plate. Might have been different without them there. But, hey, it's a skid plate.

I do have a question. What is covered by the skid plates that come on the BD and BL? Any pics underneath of those skid plates, that would not come on a Basesquatch, for example?

ChrisD

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Exactly. To the point I made (speculating) above about different engineers.

BTW, part of the reason there are no marks on the skid plate is the K braces held the load so the rocks didn't get to the skid plate. Might have been different without them there. But, hey, it's a skid plate.

I do have a question. What is covered by the skid plates that come on the BD and BL? Any pics underneath of those skid plates, that would not come on a Basesquatch, for example?
Anywhere under there where there is anything fairly close to the bottom of the frame is covered with the notable exception of those K supports. It's actually almost comical.

I'll try to remember to pull it out this afternoon after work and get some photos outside - it's pretty dark in the garage...

ChrisD

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Pardon the dirt! I didn't spray underneath it! :)

1. From the front
2. From the center looking toward the front
3. From the center looking toward the rear
4. From the rear (the blue must be a reflection from the flash - there's nothing blue under there)

Ford Bronco Ground Clearance Difference 2.3L and 2.7L Chassis UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_b15

Ford Bronco Ground Clearance Difference 2.3L and 2.7L Chassis UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_b16

Ford Bronco Ground Clearance Difference 2.3L and 2.7L Chassis UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_b17

Ford Bronco Ground Clearance Difference 2.3L and 2.7L Chassis UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_b14
Sponsored