Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
LR4, 2020 110
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

So I test drive a new Defender today. It was a well equipped S trim. It’s an excellent family vehicle with some decent off road ability.

As Richard Hammond has said, it’s an outstanding Discovery. I may actually buy one as a family car, but I’m under no illusions, this is no Defender.
I agree. I have owned the new 110 for almost a year now and it’s had zero issues. I also owned 2 LR4’s. This is a great upgrade for that vehicle. There is a reason I’m now buying a Bronco but definitely keeping my 110. The Grenedier is a very real option in 2022.
Sponsored

mcdoogs

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
13 Ford Focus ST, 21 Mercedes Benz E350
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I agree. I have owned the new 110 for almost a year now and it’s had zero issues. I also owned 2 LR4’s. This is a great upgrade for that vehicle. There is a reason I’m now buying a Bronco but definitely keeping my 110. The Grenedier is a very real option in 2022.
How are you going to import the Grenadier? Also, P300 or P400 in your 110?

DryYourTears

Badlands
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Defender, 51 Ford F1, motorcycles
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
This thread funny - now I see people on Land Rover forums complaining about their missing Bronco orders. How times change. At this point, it's sort of a race; Bronco's delayed on hard tops (among other things, depending on model), and Defenders delayed by the chip shortage (well, some other issues if you want a high-end trim or the v8, as well).

I technically had a build date of yesterday for my Defender, but no idea if that happened. I'll reach out to my dealer next week for an update. If things really go sideways I'll probably wait until '22's get going and un-99 my Bronco order, though now I'm sort of set on the Defender so I'll have to get myself excited for the Bronco again. :ROFLMAO: If I go back to the Bronco, in a perfect world, they'd up the available tech and release a hybrid, or at least get the average MPG to 20.

Bronc-itis

Base
First Name
E
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Q50 (bronco soon)
Your Bronco Model
Base
I’ve always wanted to restore an old D90. Definitely a holy grail of 4x4s.
I can see Rover owners making the switch. The Bronco is what the new D90 should have been.
Their problem is the demographic. The majority of Rover owners these days are wealthy soccer moms. An old D90 is the last thing you’d see Karen driving to soccer practice.

Sponsored

Sgt Beavis

Badlands
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Raptor, 2018 Jeep Wrangler Sport S.
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
How are you going to import the Grenadier? Also, P300 or P400 in your 110?
P400. The Grenedier will be sold in the US. Current rumors are through the BMW dealerships.
Ya know, I drove a P300. While is certainly wasn’t going like a bat out of hell, it was better than acceptable power. Plus, I can get it with the white steelies, which look oh soooo awesome. Also, those wheels are 18” instead of the 19 or 20” wheels on the P400. So a lot more tire for real off roading.

My dealer told me they have one coming in October, that hasn’t been claimed yet. It ticks most boxes for me except it doesn’t have the steelies and has the 3rd row seating (which I don’t care for). Not sure what I’m going to do on that yet. This dealer isn’t marking them up either. They just want a $1000 refundable deposit. Another dealer is marking them up and requires a $2500 non-refundable deposit.

Of course, I probably should just not buy anything this year. If I wait until next summer I could have my pick of vehicles and perhaps get one under MSRP. Of course, I think Bronco’s will also have much higher availability at that point so I may still get one.

Waiting for 4th Bronco

Base
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-250, Mercedes C350
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

my Bronco build is unintentionally going to look like a Defender. Base, 2dr, 2.3L manual, MIC, front bumper, brush bar, roof rack, mud flaps. I'll even probably keep the smaller tires for awhile.

mcdoogs

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
13 Ford Focus ST, 21 Mercedes Benz E350
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Ya know, I drove a P300. While is certainly wasn’t going like a bat out of hell, it was better than acceptable power. Plus, I can get it with the white steelies, which look oh soooo awesome. Also, those wheels are 18” instead of the 19 or 20” wheels on the P400. So a lot more tire for real off roading.

My dealer told me they have one coming in October, that hasn’t been claimed yet. It ticks most boxes for me except it doesn’t have the steelies and has the 3rd row seating (which I don’t care for). Not sure what I’m going to do on that yet. This dealer isn’t marking them up either. They just want a $1000 refundable deposit. Another dealer is marking them up and requires a $2500 non-refundable deposit.

Of course, I probably should just not buy anything this year. If I wait until next summer I could have my pick of vehicles and perhaps get one under MSRP. Of course, I think Bronco’s will also have much higher availability at that point so I may still get one.
I think it’s probably the best time in my memory to buy a new car actually. The supply of new cars, especially for desirable models, has been strangled for over a year now. On cargurus used defenders are selling for msrp+ right now and that is going to persist for a quite a while because it might take years for manufacturers to get back to meeting/exceeding demand (which naturally negatively affects used car supply). If you get your hands on a new Defender or Bronco right now it's like risk free because you can turn around and sell it if you want to for around what you bought it for.

I havent been able to test drive a defender of any spec, but my local JLR dealer requires no deposit at all. They are smarter than many because they are reducing friction for retail orders since they cant get any dealer stock made. Its a win-win for them, they actually make more money if the customer pulls out of the deal lol.

I’m probably going to go base S p300, steelies, offroad, tow, air suspension and some accessories. Then 99 my bronco badlands 4dr, sas, tow, lux, 2.7 order since i wont need it for a DD/road trip truck and change it to a ‘22 2dr manual weekend fun truck (probably as it should be)

Last edited:

siddious33

Badlands
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee; 2016 Dodge Challenger Hellcat
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I'm considering a Defender. If the right one comes along. I cancelled my Bronco order last fall because Ford kept moving the goalposts and I figured I'd check back in 2-3 years down the road to see where they were then. Looking more and more like that's going to be a 4-5 year window for me now. Had a 2 door Badlands reserved and was planning on speccing it out pretty heavily so honestly, by the time I was done with it, price-wise, you were into LR Defender territory anyway.

I cancelled it and bought a Jaguar F-Type R. Drastic change I know, but I love sports cars too and figured I'd have that for a while to play with and used ones last fall were not so pricey. Got my 2017 Type R loaded for about 57k. Fast forward to a year later and I can now trade that car in for about 57k or sell it for more than I paid for it. It's wild.

Thought about going after a 2022 Defender 90 S that was here in Charlotte this week but it got scooped up before I had time to go drive it. Had pretty much everything I wanted on it, off-road pack, towing pack, etc. Just wasn't sure about the 4 cylinder engine. I'd want to drive it first of course, so no go on the Defender yet, but I'd certainly consider one. I like them and I don't rock crawl. For me it would be perfect for camping, heading up some fire roads, etc. And the towing rating is phenomenal, even with the 4 cylinder.

To the point above, I'm also pretty confident you could get a Defender now, if you can find one, drive it for 3-4 years and trade or sell it and certainly not be upside down on it at least. If I wanted to pursue the Bronco then, that might be my route.

Adding in here, I am NOT in any way knocking people for hanging in and waiting on the Bronco. I think the Bronco is amazing. I just wasn't willing to order off the reservation I had and not be able to get exactly what I wanted (painted hard top for instance).
Sponsored