Grumblings from the Land Rover "Defender" community, they want a Bronco

First Name
Bryant
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yukon XL
I grew up in a LR family, went to the National Rally for years, we had the NAS 110 and a few D 90s... I had a 97 Defender new and made a huge mistake selling it in 2001.

The 2021 Bronco is much more like the original Defender than the new defender is, that is why I am here and I cannot wait!
CAn you explain a little more about why you feel this way?

Advertisement

TommyBronco

Black Diamond
First Name
Thomas
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F-150
Clubs

For what its worth, I was talking to a friend who has been a lifelong Land Rover fan. His father owned them, he owns a Defender 90, they've owned them for a long time, restored them, etc... He interacts with others in the LR community as well. We were talking about the Bronco, and how much we liked them. He said that LR had a great opportunity to bring back the Defender and they totally dropped the ball. Then he said a lot of people that had Defenders reserved, cancelled when the Bronco was launched, and reserved a Bronco. 😎
Agree. I loved the defender and it could have been great if they brought it back like the original. Given the high demand and cost for a used one, I am surprised they went the way they did and not stick with the original formula. Same for Jeep Grand Wagoneer. It could have been a alternate solution for someone looking for a full-size modern-retro SUV. Again, missed opportunity for Jeep.

Last edited:

AleYeah

First Name
Jeff
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Wrangler Unlimited, 1976 VW poptop Bus
The 6G Bronco 2-door basically looks like how I was hoping the new Defender would look. Current Jeep owner. Bronco is definitely in the running for my next vehicle purchase. Defender is definitely not.

tomdaniel

Badlands
First Name
Tom
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Land Rover Discovery II
Clubs

For as much as I love her, I cannot wait to get rid of my leaky, dash lit up, Discovery. As for the new Defender... how did they turn a utilitarian farm truck into... that? Land Rover does not have a single vehicle marketed to anyone other than posh, Chelsea footballer girlfriends.

xmod

Badlands
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350, Toyo 4Runner TRD
Clubs

I've owned two 1997 D90's (regret selling one of them), and I would at some point still like to own one again but right now it is out of my budget. I still have a set of XZL's, shipps mechanical bumper, and new in box NRP exhaust for whenever I can get another one. But for me, with the new Bronco, it embodies everything I loved about the old defender just in an updated configuration.

Last edited:

Advertisement

Advertisement