Sponsored

Grumblings from the Land Rover "Defender" community, they want a Bronco

stickshifter

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Tacoma (1975 FJ-40, 1978 CJ-7, 2008 JKU)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I'm starting to want the Grenadier more than the Bronco. It does seem like it will be a more risky and more expensive purchase though.
I know, I'm there with you. Ineos says it is going to be really simple - relatively few electronics, and a lot of mechanical systems. That's sort of my jam. If I hear that they have a plan for service, it might be my first ever automatic transmission...

MtnRanger

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I know, I'm there with you. Ineos says it is going to be really simple - relatively few electronics, and a lot of mechanical systems. That's sort of my jam. If I hear that they have a plan for service, it might be my first ever automatic transmission...
Sa
I'm starting to want the Grenadier more than the Bronco. It does seem like it will be a more risky and more expensive purchase though.
Same but i dont want to wait 2-3 more years

JaxGtc

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1975 EB Sport; 2021 Outer Banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I have had at least 3 Xterra 4x4 as Company owned sleds. Those are great vehicles and I should have bought one. If Nissan does a correct redo of the Xterra that would be a vehicle to check out.
I liked the look of the xterra. Their marketing was amazing with the first aid kit baby bump and all. That thing was the REI suv for suburbia (before the current wrangler). I was checking what a re-do might look like and unfortunately it is going the direction of the highlander apparently.

centra28

Badlands
First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The problem with Land Rover on this defender is complacency. Complacency in the work place is a bad rust. Ford rolled up their sleeves, did their homework, and put a lot of elbow grease into their product. They didn't take for granted that the name "Bronco" was going to sell the vehicle on it's own. They actually did the hard trench work to put out a GOOD PRODUCT. Unlike GMC and Land Rover, who just sat on their arses and rolled out some mainstream trash that they thought could ride the curtails of their own legacy. Instead of continuing their own legacy they soiled it and paved the way for other auto makers to fill the gap.

*edit: Ok "mainstream trash" is probably over the top - I got a little excited as I was typing :p. I am sure they are nice vehicles, but they did not do the name justice IMO*

Last edited:

Sponsored

DetailsMatter

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 340IX M-Sport
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

For what its worth, I was talking to a friend who has been a lifelong Land Rover fan. His father owned them, he owns a Defender 90, they've owned them for a long time, restored them, etc... He interacts with others in the LR community as well. We were talking about the Bronco, and how much we liked them. He said that LR had a great opportunity to bring back the Defender and they totally dropped the ball. Then he said a lot of people that had Defenders reserved, cancelled when the Bronco was launched, and reserved a Bronco. ?
The Land Rover Defender has some nice features.
Refrigerated center console
Push-button adjustable suspension
Lots and lots of charging ports

However, it all comes at a very premium price. The Bronco seems to hit the sweet spot between price and capability.

OP
OP
Studawg

Studawg

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
02 Excursion, 96 Land Cruiser, 18 Land Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I will have to disagree on the Range Rover, I can’t say I’ve seen a new one of those in several years and I see more bentleys than I see old Range Rovers.
Really?? I live in SC south of Charlotte and I see new RRs everywhere.

OP
OP
Studawg

Studawg

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
02 Excursion, 96 Land Cruiser, 18 Land Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
The Land Rover Defender has some nice features.
Refrigerated center console
Push-button adjustable suspension
Lots and lots of charging ports

However, it all comes at a very premium price. The Bronco seems to hit the sweet spot between price and capability.
"Features"?? I call those liabilities. Those are literally the last things Id want in a vehicle I planned to take into the wilderness. Ill take a cooler, coil springs and a solar panel thank you very much. All disconnected from the vehicle that's got to take me back to civilization.

thenewjs

Raptor
First Name
Archie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Braptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

I liked the look of the xterra. Their marketing was amazing with the first aid kit baby bump and all. That thing was the REI suv for suburbia (before the current wrangler). I was checking what a re-do might look like and unfortunately it is going the direction of the highlander apparently.
I thought it was Suburu.

Sponsored

twobigstacksoflowsociety

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
shitmobile
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
LOL at people talking abouy LR. This is the Grenadier thread.

Maybe these will make it into production around the holiday time, and not next spring.

please make my decision harder for me. If it's an additional 2/3 year wait I don't think I can make it that long

SafariJeff

Wildtrak
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1994 Defender / 2000 Discovery / 2023 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I love defenders and a new frame up rebuilt on donor VIN number Defender 110 with a new LS4 corvette 600 HP motor was running $140K (maybe after 6 months of Covid $75K used). Mean looking and all the bells and whistles so I was waiting for the 2020 Defender to come out. Go through the options there and the X package was $80K (same as a loaded Discovery and even the RR Sport, all about $80K). I always joked this would be a mall crawler and I would buy a $20K jeep to tip on its side so I could get a picture...
Then along come the Bronco... I had 20 things I wanted on my list, it hit ALL 20 and mentioned 20 more I didn't even know I needed, like that trail turn assist (can't wait!!!). Now throw in $52K for the WT (wanted dessert washboard road travel and that sport mode forget the 35's out of the box) and even another $5K of bumpers and lights and I put the $100 down in 15 minutes. Will wait for April/June unless the I find the 2020 Defender at the auctions for defaulting loans for $40K...

jtzako

Badlands
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Xterra Pro4x
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm not here to defend Nissan but we luckily have never had any kind of problem like that. Maybe it was tranny specific ?

My son in Titan, wife Pathfinder, daughter Rogue, wife Infiniti. Over the years maybe 15 or more never had an issue. I am sorry you had that problem.
It was actually a radiator issue. In the 2005 to 2010 xterra's the radiator could fail and mix coolant+trans fluid and kill the trans. They fixed many of them over the years (my 4x4 club was 80+% xterra's so we were quite familiar with that issue).

borgnineamc

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Ford Excursion
Your Bronco Model
Base
Having owned a Range Rover, and many other lower production/obscure type vehicles, being able to find parts and service easily is a massive plus. When something goes wrong in the middle of nowhere, support is key.

DetailsMatter

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 340IX M-Sport
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

"Features"?? I call those liabilities. Those are literally the last things Id want in a vehicle I planned to take into the wilderness. Ill take a cooler, coil springs and a solar panel thank you very much. All disconnected from the vehicle that's got to take me back to civilization.
I understand, but there is an customer base for the Land Rover. For those people, those things may matter. They are not important to me. Like I said, the Bronco seems to have a good balance of value and features.
Sponsored