First Name
Bryant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yukon XL
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I grew up in a LR family, went to the National Rally for years, we had the NAS 110 and a few D 90s... I had a 97 Defender new and made a huge mistake selling it in 2001.

The 2021 Bronco is much more like the original Defender than the new defender is, that is why I am here and I cannot wait!
CAn you explain a little more about why you feel this way?
Sponsored

TommyBronco

Badlands
First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
For what its worth, I was talking to a friend who has been a lifelong Land Rover fan. His father owned them, he owns a Defender 90, they've owned them for a long time, restored them, etc... He interacts with others in the LR community as well. We were talking about the Bronco, and how much we liked them. He said that LR had a great opportunity to bring back the Defender and they totally dropped the ball. Then he said a lot of people that had Defenders reserved, cancelled when the Bronco was launched, and reserved a Bronco. ?
Agree. I loved the defender and it could have been great if they brought it back like the original. Given the high demand and cost for a used one, I am surprised they went the way they did and not stick with the original formula. Same for Jeep Grand Wagoneer. It could have been a alternate solution for someone looking for a full-size modern-retro SUV. Again, missed opportunity for Jeep.

Last edited:

AleYeah

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Wrangler Unlimited, 1976 VW poptop Bus
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
The 6G Bronco 2-door basically looks like how I was hoping the new Defender would look. Current Jeep owner. Bronco is definitely in the running for my next vehicle purchase. Defender is definitely not.

tomdaniel

Badlands
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

For as much as I love her, I cannot wait to get rid of my leaky, dash lit up, Discovery. As for the new Defender... how did they turn a utilitarian farm truck into... that? Land Rover does not have a single vehicle marketed to anyone other than posh, Chelsea footballer girlfriends.

Sponsored

xmod

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350, Toyo 4Runner TRD, Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I've owned two 1997 D90's (regret selling one of them), and I would at some point still like to own one again but right now it is out of my budget. I still have a set of XZL's, shipps mechanical bumper, and new in box NRP exhaust for whenever I can get another one. But for me, with the new Bronco, it embodies everything I loved about the old defender just in an updated configuration.

Last edited:

Lab00Rat

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 BL 2-Door, 2021 Ford Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
They are getting the message...

Ford Bronco Grumblings from the Land Rover "Defender" community, they want a Bronco 1602886990720

ColoradoGuy

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 4DR Badlands and a couple of Acuras
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Not a huge TFL fan but they do put out some good stuff. This just came through on my feed and made me chuckle a bit. I love LR styling and how they drive (when running) but can't get over the reliability issues.

Sgt Beavis

Badlands
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Raptor, 2018 Jeep Wrangler Sport S.
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
So I test drive a new Defender today. It was a well equipped S trim. It’s an excellent family vehicle with some decent off road ability.

As Richard Hammond has said, it’s an outstanding Discovery. I may actually buy one as a family car, but I’m under no illusions, this is no Defender.

drive21bronco

Black Diamond
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Yea I have mixed feeling on the new Defender, I have always loved the previous generation. One of the best trips of my life was a road trip through Iceland in a rented Defender 110 (see avatar) So freaking awesome driving that thing around that country. I see where LR was going with it and I think the did pay decent homage to the old Defender while trying to stay current with there luxurious status but dam would it have totally kicked ass if was like the new Bronco. And yea they would have sold a crap ton of them, taking a slice of market share from Jeep and Ford. Not so sure this one really will.

Sponsored

BTomorama

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Nissan Rogue
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Yea I have mixed feeling on the new Defender, I have always loved the previous generation. One of the best trips of my life was a road trip through Iceland in a rented Defender 110 (see avatar) So freaking awesome driving that thing around that country. I see where LR was going with it and I think the did pay decent homage to the old Defender while trying to stay current with there luxurious status but dam would it have totally kicked ass if was like the new Bronco. And yea they would have sold a crap ton of them, taking a slice of market share from Jeep and Ford. Not so sure this one really will.
It will sell, but not to the market corner that is focused on the outdoors and offroading.

North7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Ther are not a crap ton of people that want to spend that much money for such low reliability. Maybe one day LR will wake up and smell the coffee.

mcdoogs

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
13 Ford Focus ST, 21 Mercedes Benz E350
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I don’t have the same emotional attachment to the defender name as most the people in this thread, but from all the reviews I’ve seen it’s a very capable off-roader while being much more refined on road than wranglers and broncos.

I personally like it, blue or green with the white top and steelies, but a true cross-shop would be with stuff like the Grand Cherokee. Not the Wrangler or Bronco (even tho the top trims of those overlap a bit with the defender in price)

Last edited:

bluesun68

Wildtrak
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
raptor, velar, f-type
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
The serious hard core people want solid axles or twenty year old rigs so they can weld crazy axles on them. The true facts are that it's 8 hours to the trail, and 95% of the off road portion a subaru could do. Always exceptions of course. The interior color in the bronco is horrible and if they don't make me one by next summer I'll have to get something else. The Defender has a cloth roof that opens with a touch of a button, and was quiet at 85 mph. But anyway, everyone should buy what they want.
Sponsored