Sponsored

Guys, I think my wife just talked me out of my Badlands build... And into a Wildtrak

To switch or not to switch? That is the question.

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Streetbob08

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150, Harley.
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Don't do it man! So you don't plan on doing "extreme" rock crawling. But if you are going to go places you have never been before you may have to do some things you weren't planning on doing, i.e. rock crawling, creeks, etc. If you are planning on going to Utah I have news for ya, it's a lot of rock! I live in southern Utah and I am going with the Badlands for the front sway bar disconnect and the fact that it has Baja mode for haulin ass in the desert. I humbly suggest going with the most capable off roader first than you can make a more informed decision on what you need in the second Bronco, after a year or two of seeing what is out there.
Sponsored

Hard Learner

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford F150 XL Supercab
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I mean.... if you can get 2 Bronco's out of this deal the why the heck not? If Wildtrack don't work out and she keeps it and you can have a Badlands next to it, best of both worlds.

LSU Jonno

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So, wife and I sat down side by side and measured my ideal Badlands build against a Wildtrak build. She then, being the smarter of us, pointed out that an equally equipped Wildtrak comes in $100 cheaper than my ideal Badlands build.

Then she raised a couple of valid points:

1.a - You're getting older. Are you really going to be doing extreme rock crawling? The answer was, "No, probably not."
1.b - Then you really don't need the front axle disconnect. "Hmm, I suppose you have a point there."
2.a - You want to take the Bronco to Utah. What will we encounter there, mostly? The answer, "Sand. Mostly."
2.b - Right, and we really just want a vehicle that's capable enough to get us where we can WATCH people doing the extreme stuff. "That's true."
3. - And East Texas? "Oh, dirt, brush, cows... I see your point."
4.a - You drove me to my high-school graduation in an A-Frame Dunebuggy. "That's right. I did do that."
4.b - So, I'm looking for that kind of experience again. You plan to deliver? "Hell, yes!"
5 - We're getting a second Bronco in a few years. Sport, Truck, or Badlands. You decide. "Hurrrrrrr....."

Then she showed me this picture:

vehicle.jpg

She pointed out, "It'll be a finished project. No need to paint, no need for aftermarket upgrades. Take all that extra you'd spend and save it for upgrades on the next Bronco. And if that doesn't get here fast enough, instead of buying me the Bronco Sport, I'll just drive this and we'll get you the biggest baddest Badlands you can find."

I feel like I've been outfoxed here.

I'm still very into the idea of customizing a year one Badlands just the way I like it. But, she makes some valid points.

What do you guys think?
I actually switched from a Wildtrak to a Badlands due to the B&P.

Basically I don't want a gloss black grill with gloss black mirrors and a carbonized grey top.

If they'd give us a carbonized grey option for our grill and mirrors to match the top, then I'd get a Wildtrak.

Bernatos

Badlands
First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

What i looked at was what I couldn't change. And for me thats the floors with drain plugs. I love running with a bikini top all summer and if it rains, it rains. In all my past jeeps, carpets came out and stayed out and drain plugs pulled all year round. That was what made the decision for BL over Wildtrack for me.

VictoryLights

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Pilot
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

They’re essentially the same price. Wildtrak makes no sense.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Cappy

Cappy

Badlands
First Name
Cappy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Don't do it man! So you don't plan on doing "extreme" rock crawling. But if you are going to go places you have never been before you may have to do some things you weren't planning on doing, i.e. rock crawling, creeks, etc. If you are planning on going to Utah I have news for ya, it's a lot of rock! I live in southern Utah and I am going with the Badlands for the front sway bar disconnect and the fact that it has Baja mode for haulin ass in the desert. I humbly suggest going with the most capable off roader first than you can make a more informed decision on what you need in the second Bronco, after a year or two of seeing what is out there.
Say, wuuuuuuuuuuuuut? I thought Baja mode was only available on the Wildtrak. This might be a game changer.

stampede1

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
f150
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I have. That's really one of the sticking points for me. I really want the MGV. But realistically, I'm okay with the Leather upgrades.
How about considering getting the bast interior and then doing an AM upholstery with what you would have spent on the factory leather but it will be your specs?

lsustang05

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Raptor SuperCab
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Yeah, the $100 is neither here nor there. If I go with the Badlands, I'm having it painted. That's gonna cost me $6350, I'm also going to have to get a painted hard top later on down the road. Who knows what that's gonna cost.

I'm wondering if that's really going to be the case on resale. I can see a lot of people (sales people) being like, "The Wildtrak is really close to the Raptor, it's like the Bronco Raptor." I've seen that opinion floated around these forums quite a bit.

You and I know the difference, but will the general public?
At best, yes, and it will be something that matters. At worst, no, but I don’t think it will matter. Having the capability and not needing it is better than needing it and not having it.

If the price difference were $2-5k I’d say go Wildtrak, but since you’ll be getting the hardtop and painting it, I honestly can’t see a reason to purchase a Wildtrak.

Also, with the mods you are planning, you won’t be selling to any Tom, Dick, or Harry. You’ll be selling to somebody who knows what they want and somebody in that kind of market will want the Badlands IMO.

OP
OP
Cappy

Cappy

Badlands
First Name
Cappy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Wildtrak, badlands, and FE have baja mode.

Wildtrak has "sport mode", which is subbed in place of "rock crawl mode" on badlands and FE.

though I think I read somewhere that sport may be very similar to baja mode as far as shift calibration, maybe just added to fill the 7th spot to make people feel like wildtrak does not have "less".
That's good to know. My wife just came up to me in the kitchen and said, "You know, I was thinking about it. You get whatever's in your heart. If it makes you happy, it makes me happy."

Sponsored

Sub_Sonarman

Badlands
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Focus SE, 2018 F-250 Lariat
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Wildtrak, badlands, and FE have baja mode.

Wildtrak has "sport mode", which is subbed in place of "rock crawl mode" on badlands and FE.

though I think I read somewhere that sport may be very similar to baja mode as far as shift calibration, maybe just added to fill the 7th spot to make people feel like wildtrak does not have "less".
Yeah there's a thread on here about the goat modes and several people indicated Baja and Sport modes are basically the same except 4WD for Baja, but you can turn on Baja and then go back to 2WD and then you're in Sport mode.

Hoofnmouth

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford focus st
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Wow you took her in a dune buggy lol buddy we got the last two good ones ?
Dont sweat the 100 bucks get whatever makes you both happy ,i bet a base no squatch will go anywhere your planning if not call me and i pull you out with my jeep?

OP
OP
Cappy

Cappy

Badlands
First Name
Cappy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I mean.... if you can get 2 Bronco's out of this deal the why the heck not? If Wildtrack don't work out and she keeps it and you can have a Badlands next to it, best of both worlds.
You know, this is the argument that's really swaying me the most. I mean, I could really get into driving the WT around for a couple of years. Right up until that Truck comes out in 2024.

GaryB2220

Badlands
First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'99 4runner, '10 Town & Country
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

ColoradoGuy