Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

There has been much speculation on the forum on why certain accessories are not available on Bronco trims: like a Badlands with 4Doors, 2,7L, and Sasquatch - mostly pointing to GVWR being the issue. Accessories like PPF, roof racks, brush bar, sound dampening, etc. are not able to be added via the Build and Price tool (even though you can add a winch which surely weighs more then PPF).

For the purposes of this thread I don't want to dive into the lack of those various accessories, rather the general weight limits of the Bronco configured as mentioned. My primary goal with my future Bronco is to go camping high in the mountains, places I can't currently get to. I am concerned that as a larger guy I won't be able to load up my Bronco with my wife and I and our camping gear without being concerned about safety and warranty issues, let alone these various accessories that are seemingly not available.

Is GVWR even a concern once the vehicle has been sold to the customer? Does it affect warranty status or present legal issues for the owner down the road if over the GVWR?
Sponsored

Dlerojo

Badlands
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Outback
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
It has to do with competing with the wrangler in the same weight class <6000 GVWR. The Bronco is heavier than a comparable Wrangler by a significant amount.

A 4 dr Rubicon has a GVWR of 5800 and a curb weight of 4500. It puts its payload around 1300.

a 4 dr Bronco at the max posted curb weight is 5320. If Ford wants to stay under 6000 GVWR and be in the same category they have to limit what gets added on. The bad news is in this situation your payload is less than 700. No one is forcing you to not go over this amount but it is the official safe weight rating for the vehicle. If an accident occurs due to being over the GVWR you could be liable.

deejay08

Badlands
First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

There has been much speculation on the forum on why certain accessories are not available on Bronco trims: like a Badlands with 4Doors, 2,7L, and Sasquatch - mostly pointing to GVWR being the issue. Accessories like PPF, roof racks, brush bar, sound dampening, etc. are not able to be added via the Build and Price tool (even though you can add a winch which surely weighs more then PPF).

For the purposes of this thread I don't want to dive into the lack of those various accessories, rather the general weight limits of the Bronco configured as mentioned. My primary goal with my future Bronco is to go camping high in the mountains, places I can't currently get to. I am concerned that as a larger guy I won't be able to load up my Bronco with my wife and I and our camping gear without being concerned about safety and warranty issues, let alone these various accessories that are seemingly not available.

Is GVWR even a concern once the vehicle has been sold to the customer? Does it affect warranty status or present legal issues for the owner down the road if over the GVWR?
Here's what i am thinking of doing.. loading up bronco full of gear + aftermarket add ons (ill be adding an exterior rear/top roof rack and armor, bumpers, winch (all aftermarket at about 1-2k miles), then go have it weighed and also check what the axle weight limit is as that is more structural than gvwr. I am going 2dr squatch and might beef up the suspension for some added load. I don't know if it's going to void the warranty but weighing your vehicle with everything loaded in and letting a pro take a look is the best way to ensure you get what you need. Suspensions are best if they are custom for what you need them for.

Mattwings

Badlands
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I am sure there are instances of being held liable because a vehicle exceeded the GVWR, but I have never personally been involved, seen or heard of an issue. Any time you modify something, there is a chance you could increase your level of liability, so I know it's possible, just don't know the actual chance of it coming into play. Lots of other factors weigh much more heavily, like distracted driving, speed, not driving for conditions, maintenance etc. Unless I was exceeding the weight capacity of my tires or creating a handling or braking issue related to load, I wouldn't lose much sleep. I don't think many others do, even when care is warranted o_O watching what rolls down the road when I am out and about. Every time I drive to my cabin in Northern MI I pass a Jeep or two, usually with headlights pointed to the sky, sagging deep into its long and lifted suspension, towing a way to big trailer with a roof rack and a bunch of gear strapped, bolted or thrown on top.
Ford Bronco GVWR and general weight concerns 1605207521305

Sponsored

NPBronco91

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Ford Bronco - Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm glad you brought this up. I was literally thinking if anyone else was still concerned or let it brush off. Still aiming to get a 4dr 2.7 BL. I'll probably go aftermarket with the roof rack, sound deadening, and rtt. Not looking to add much of anything else. Maybe a brush bar in the far future.

Primary reason to have a 4dr is for future kids, dog, camping equipment, etc. I really don't want to drop down to the BD because I want the High package. Still nervous about the gvwr being an issue.

Johnny Mo

Raptor
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
teachu2shoot.com
Vehicle(s)
Ford Fusion Energi, Ducati XDiavel
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

That's not the only reason - it could also put the Bronco into a different registration and thus insurance bracket.

Lcubed

Badlands
First Name
l
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW golf r, 2023 ManBadSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

i don't get the reasoning to chase the 6000# gvwr.

the 7000# gvwr of the f-150 or land rover defender seem
more reasonable for the things i expect the bronco to be used for.

i have yet to see an f-150 banned from local streets or be required to go through the commercial vehicle weigh-in on the highway.

Nickp

Base
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 WRANGLER THAT GEICO SPENT $14K FIXING
Your Bronco Model
Base
Please note that I am not speaking from any amount of authority or outside knowledge from this.

*Takes off metaphorical badge and gun belt*

I think Ford is super hamstrung by numerous things regarding GVWR on Bronco. Including accessories, towing capacity, payload, etc. For me personally, as long as I’m not going to do anything super dumb (I.E. not going to tow a 9,000 pound camper or load the entire back of the thing to to the brim with 80 lb bags of concrete) I would be just fine. My mom and dad are probably going to buy a camper and do a road trip across the country, I’d recommend they upgrade the hitch and keep the camper under 5k pounds for example. Is this higher than the Bronco is rated? Yes. But the FJ cruiser is “rated” at 4700 and there is zero chance it’s a better tow vehicle than a 4 door, non squatch Bronco would be. Payload is the same... I see vehicles driving around like this
Ford Bronco GVWR and general weight concerns CC18EFAB-B135-4DD0-8267-05EE4795D898

And I also saw someone driving through the middle of phoenix doing EXACTLY this (u-haul and everything. For any Phoenicians they were at baseline and 7th ave or so lol)
Ford Bronco GVWR and general weight concerns 507A4827-C749-49C9-83C9-B9C742041964

Having a roof rack with a few skis and even a kayak isn’t going to ruin your life as long as you’re not being stupid. Know your limitations, don’t drive 95 through the switchbacks, and drive defensively and a bronco loaded up will be just fine.

Jpeyer

Badlands
First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 F250 Lariat
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Please note that I am not speaking from any amount of authority or outside knowledge from this.

*Takes off metaphorical badge and gun belt*

I think Ford is super hamstrung by numerous things regarding GVWR on Bronco. Including accessories, towing capacity, payload, etc. For me personally, as long as I’m not going to do anything super dumb (I.E. not going to tow a 9,000 pound camper or load the entire back of the thing to to the brim with 80 lb bags of concrete) I would be just fine. My mom and dad are probably going to buy a camper and do a road trip across the country, I’d recommend they upgrade the hitch and keep the camper under 5k pounds for example. Is this higher than the Bronco is rated? Yes. But the FJ cruiser is “rated” at 4700 and there is zero chance it’s a better tow vehicle than a 4 door, non squatch Bronco would be. Payload is the same... I see vehicles driving around like this
CC18EFAB-B135-4DD0-8267-05EE4795D898.jpeg

And I also saw someone driving through the middle of phoenix doing EXACTLY this (u-haul and everything. For any Phoenicians they were at baseline and 7th ave or so lol)
507A4827-C749-49C9-83C9-B9C742041964.jpeg

Having a roof rack with a few skis and even a kayak isn’t going to ruin your life as long as you’re not being stupid. Know your limitations, don’t drive 95 through the switchbacks, and drive defensively and a bronco loaded up will be just fine.
Your axle limitations are well above the gvwr. I drive an overloaded Chevy 3500 drw for work at 14k and used to drive an overloaded f450 at 17k. There was nothing we could do other than go up a weight class and then we had way to much capacity. Gvwr is the margin that a manufacture wants in between structural ratings (have a margin as well) and scaleable ratings for competition and governmental limits on vehicle size and class. Do you (general) weigh your truck when you get a dump load of gravel in the bed or do you fill it to the brim so you don’t have to take two trips? Where do you fit in?

Sponsored

Nickp

Base
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 WRANGLER THAT GEICO SPENT $14K FIXING
Your Bronco Model
Base
Do you (general) weigh your truck when you get a dump load of gravel in the bed or do you fill it to the brim so you don’t have to take two trips? Where do you fit in?
I’m paying someone else to move the gravel ??.

In all seriousness, i’ll just say that I do the “one trip from the car” and grab all the grocery bags at once...

Dlerojo

Badlands
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Outback
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
i don't get the reasoning to chase the 6000# gvwr.

the 7000# gvwr of the f-150 or land rover defender seem
more reasonable for the things i expect the bronco to be used for.

i have yet to see an f-150 banned from local streets or be required to go through the commercial vehicle weigh-in on the highway.
Its because going over 6,000 gvwr puts it into a different category. It doesn't mean it cant be on the road it just means it would no longer be a competitor to a Wrangler because its in a different category and would also be subject to different legal rules and requirements.

Raskew

Badlands
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1970 Bronco, 2018 Stinger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I would speculate that it may have something to do with center of gravity. ie more weight on the roof would change the center of gravity and make the Bronco more susceptible to roll over. Just a theory though.

dragon6172

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
There is only 100 lb difference between the 2.3/2.7 4-door models depending on trim level according to Fords projected numbers. Curb weight 5226 vs. 5320 lb.

Lcubed

Badlands
First Name
l
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW golf r, 2023 ManBadSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Its because going over 6,000 gvwr puts it into a different category. It doesn't mean it cant be on the road it just means it would no longer be a competitor to a Wrangler because its in a different category and would also be subject to different legal rules and requirements.
at this point, given all the things we can't quite get (roof rack, PPF, mod top), ford would probably make many more potential customers happy by going up in GVWR.

yup, green paint weighs more
Sponsored