First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'67 Camaro
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I wouldn't use the photo from a prototype vehicle and get worked up over it.... In July, Ford's preliminary specs for payload were 1170 and 1370 lbs. I don't think it would have dropped by 300 pounds since then.

https://media.ford.com/content/dam/fordmedia/North America/US/product/2021/bronco/pdf/2021-Bronco-2dr-4dr-Prelim-Tech-Specs.pdf
If the formula for max payload is GVWR - Curb weight, and assuming 6000 is our limit for GVWR, then the curb weight of a 4-door must be 4,630 lbs. Which is the projected weight of a base 4-door with a 2.7L. But the projected weight goes all the way up to 5,320, giving you a max payload of only 680 lbs.

I think the reason we can't find all the cup holders is that they removed them in case you order a 4-door Sasquatch. The 4 extra Mocha Grande lattes you could carry would push it over the GVWR limit.
Sponsored

Willwork4bronco

Badlands
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Yeah, I think you are right with respect to the sticker being on a 2 dr 2.7 BD.

How much more weight would the 4 dr add? If the GVWR is the same for the two, you could potentially have a 500 or 600 lb payload on a 4 dr vehicle! That cannot possibly be right. Even assuming Ford calculated the weight of each person as a miniscule 150 lbs, 600lbs of payload is just barely enough to carry 5 people.
All I really have to go by is this
Ford Bronco GVWR and general weight concerns 3CAF1C2C-6612-4635-A3B2-F5C47D5B58FA
so assuming that is a Sasquatch Bad Lands it’s going to be right around 5129 because I can’t think of a heavier configuration. So if 6 it is yeah a BL SQ and FE 680ish Wild tack not far behind. But who knows it’s all up to ford maybe it’s 5800 for 2 door and 6000 for 4 door.

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Are insurance companies typically aware of the modifications you make to your vehicle? Or are supposed to make them aware of that? How would they know you’re over by 20lbs? Serious question
I doubt it, but some people (not me) worry about that sort of thing. My CJ5 had a 2" lift and floors made of stainless steel (got the sheets free) pop riveted with some angle iron. (Admittedly unorthodox but very sturdy.) I never checked with or worried about insurance etc. Drove that thing all over the place over a decade no problem. But I don't tend to worry about stuff like that.

Skeletor

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My Whip
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
All I really have to go by is this
Ford Bronco GVWR and general weight concerns 3CAF1C2C-6612-4635-A3B2-F5C47D5B58FA
so assuming that is a Sasquatch Bad Lands it’s going to be right around 5129 because I can’t think of a heavier configuration. So if 6 it is yeah a BL SQ and FE 680ish Wild tack not far behind. But who knows it’s all up to ford maybe it’s 5800 for 2 door and 6000 for 4 door.
Yeah, I hear ya. I think that spec listing is all any of us have to go off atm. It's definitely a concern for me. I'm definitely all in on getting a Bronco, and I can look past a lot of the stuff other people have raised concerns about. This weight issue, though, could be a big issue for me.

I HAVE to be able to haul the family on trips.

WCP-82

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I have been following this thread and trying to digest all of it. People have commented on Ford trying to keep it under 6000. There has been some reasoning but nothing definite. I tried to look up that threshold and came up with mostly a Georgia tax benefit if it is less. Couldn't find too much more.

I still don't get the concern. An accident where you maybe were 100 lbs over? Okay you were 300 lbs over. State Farm prove what everyone in my family weighed at the time of the accident considering it is over a year later you are taking me to court. I started really packing on the pounds lately. Yes I actually only had a twelve pack in the cooler. That kayak? I forget the brand, you prove how much it weighed. So 500 lbs over puts us into liability range? At 1000 maybe we can start talking about what was on top and packed in back.

This is still a body over frame, truck based vehicle. Built to handle the toughest terrain. This isn't a mini van filled with kegs. I have worried if my truck could pull something but never worried about weighing how much ass I had in the seats and what the luggage weighed.

Maybe I'm negligent but I can't see the reason anyone is concerned if they go over. Hell if me and my 2 brothers go anywhere in the same vehicle that damn thing is already at 790lbs. We never look at the sticker and ask what passenger #4 weighs.

Sponsored

WCP-82

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I just went out and checked my Passat. I can carry 1014lbs. Granted it is better than the Bronco but I have taken it to a Browns' game with me 225, my brother 240, my brother 330 and his son 250. That's 1045. Are you saying I shouldn't have stocked the trunk with chairs and a cooler for the tailgate?

U725Bronco

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Nobody knows for sure until Ford publishes exact GVWR for each model, but I would be very surprised if a fully loaded 4 door Badlands or FE wasn't over 6k. I'm guessing they will be in the 6300 range. This would make it more competitive with the Rubicon, 4Runner etc.

Lakelife36

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Kia Borrego, 2012 Chevy Cruze, 2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Also it is a 5 seater. (4 door) Ford adds 150 per passenger that is 750 pounds plus a 350 tongue weight to give a tow rating of 3500 pounds which puts you at 1100 pounds payload. This is why they did not put a bigger hitch/rating. It would not fit the class. That leaves you a small margin for accessories/cargo. Everyone is not going to have max occupants while towing (if at all) and can transfer that weight to accessories/cargo. This vehicle will handle the weight fine but it is a heavy beast. The raptor is going to be a pig. Hence the name warthog.
I thought I saw that the tow ratings were based on GCWR and 150lbs for a driver and one passenger, so 300lbs not 750lbs.

Willwork4bronco

Badlands
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have been following this thread and trying to digest all of it. People have commented on Ford trying to keep it under 6000. There has been some reasoning but nothing definite. I tried to look up that threshold and came up with mostly a Georgia tax benefit if it is less. Couldn't find too much more.

I still don't get the concern. An accident where you maybe were 100 lbs over? Okay you were 300 lbs over. State Farm prove what everyone in my family weighed at the time of the accident considering it is over a year later you are taking me to court. I started really packing on the pounds lately. Yes I actually only had a twelve pack in the cooler. That kayak? I forget the brand, you prove how much it weighed. So 500 lbs over puts us into liability range? At 1000 maybe we can start talking about what was on top and packed in back.

This is still a body over frame, truck based vehicle. Built to handle the toughest terrain. This isn't a mini van filled with kegs. I have worried if my truck could pull something but never worried about weighing how much ass I had in the seats and what the luggage weighed.

Maybe I'm negligent but I can't see the reason anyone is concerned if they go over. Hell if me and my 2 brothers go anywhere in the same vehicle that damn thing is already at 790lbs. We never look at the sticker and ask what passenger #4 weighs.
The specs are set by ford for class and segment as far as I know. It’s not really about going over a little. I’m not concerned about going over if I get in that situation I will drive appropriately. It’s not going to be a high payload vehicle by nature of its off road design. Compare a raptor to a regular f150 that’s probably the best example. These types of vehicles are already prone to roll over, we don’t know the broncos numbers yet but Jeep is about as bad as it gets and I’m sure the bronco won’t be much better. A mini van full of kegs is a terrible comparison with an off road type vehicle way low cg vs way high cg plus bouncy suspension. I personally don’t care about the limits it’s just me and the old lady. I’m just trying to help others understand the why. Ford already posted the max payloads, those are the absolute max probably a base 2.3 manual no options.

Skeletor

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My Whip
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond

My concern is safety and longevity of the vehicle. I dont know of anyone ever being held criminally or civilly liable for being over weight outside of commercial vehicles.

My concern is more about the suspension, axles, tires, etc. They are only designed to be able to support a certain amount of weight.

The only thing I can find for the Bronco is thr load rating for the tires which is E. That roughly puts each tire able to support around 3k to 4k. So, that probably isn't where the concern is.

I cannot find any other figures or ratings for anything else right now. Though, I'd guess the 6k GVWR, if that is the limiting factor, is probably several hundred lbs below the actual failure point, so going over 50 to 100lbs might not do much.

Sponsored

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
I just went out and checked my Passat. I can carry 1014lbs. Granted it is better than the Bronco but I have taken it to a Browns' game with me 225, my brother 240, my brother 330 and his son 250. That's 1045. Are you saying I shouldn't have stocked the trunk with chairs and a cooler for the tailgate?
You are fortunate to have made it home in one piece. :)

jaruss01

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XC90 T6 R-Design / 2020 S60 T6 AWD
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
This could be a problem / safety concern for families. Myself as a prime example.
Badlands 2.7L lux non sasquatch MIC top with sound deadening (for family trips / camping trips). Could I really have a family of four, a loaded cargo hold, roof rack, packed cargo box? Thats got to really tip the scales.

NPBronco91

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Ford Bronco - Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

This could be a problem / safety concern for families. Myself as a prime example.
Badlands 2.7L lux non sasquatch MIC top with sound deadening (for family trips / camping trips). Could I really have a family of four, a loaded cargo hold, roof rack, packed cargo box? Thats got to really tip the scales.
This is what I've been wanting to do. Cross country trip in a 4dr BL with a 2.7. But looks like I'll either need to drop down to a 2dr or a BD 4dr if the payload is this low. I'm doubting that the payload is only going to be 900lbs. Crossing my fingers that it's higher and really anxious to hear more from Ford abut this.

jaruss01

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XC90 T6 R-Design / 2020 S60 T6 AWD
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Have multiple people confirmed with their dealer that Ford will not let us complete our order with things that are locked out of B&P due to GVWR (such as roof rack or sound deadening)? I was hoping they would just put the parts inside the car as some loophole, but it sounds like they wont be doing that.

If the parts wont be delivered with the car, I would assume that early reservation holders may need to wait 6+ months to have separately ordered sound deadening to be fulfilled as Ford sprints through the other orders.

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I'm sure a 2 dr Bronco will handle 4 people and the cargo area full of stuff nicely, and the 4 dr 5 and stuff. I agree Ford is staying under 6K GVWR to remain in the Wrangler small SUV class. Actual capability is higher I'd bet. Add a roof rack heavily loaded or tow a large trailer and bets are off. That's why Ford has limited roof rack availability and towing capacity.

I'm more concern about the high curb weight. With all the aluminum and modern design efficiencies you would think they could have kept a 2 dr at or under 4K. But as they say, it is what it is. My 2002 F250 weighed around 6K, my 2015 weighs over 7K empty, same basic vehicle. I don't understand why everything is getting so heavy. I will be using my Bronco as a toad behind my RV, weight has me second guessing Squatching.
Sponsored