Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Have multiple people confirmed with their dealer that Ford will not let us complete our order with things that are locked out of B&P due to GVWR (such as roof rack or sound deadening)? I was hoping they would just put the parts inside the car as some loophole, but it sounds like they wont be doing that.

If the parts wont be delivered with the car, I would assume that early reservation holders may need to wait 6+ months to have separately ordered sound deadening to be fulfilled as Ford sprints through the other orders.
Right? Planning on getting the roof rack. I have a 7/14 reservation, so I should be fine, but I'd hate for that to delay my build. I could order the rack later but it might be a long wait since they will be using them for builds...Catch 22.
Sponsored

Skeletor

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My Whip
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
This is what I've been wanting to do. Cross country trip in a 4dr BL with a 2.7. But looks like I'll either need to drop down to a 2dr or a BD 4dr if the payload is this low. I'm doubting that the payload is only going to be 900lbs. Crossing my fingers that it's higher and really anxious to hear more from Ford abut this.
I'm right there with you and your concenrs, though I'm aiming for a BD right out of the gate. As near as I can tell, it should be ae to handle well above 6k weight if you are on mostly flat roads or off road at lower speeds. It might not do so if you are bashing it hard off rocks fully loaded though.

Skeletor

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My Whip
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I'm more concern about the high curb weight. With all the aluminum and modern design efficiencies you would think they could have kept a 2 dr at or under 4K. But as they say, it is what it is. My 2002 F250 weighed around 6K, my 2015 weighs over 7K empty, same basic vehicle. I don't understand why everything is getting so heavy. I will be using my Bronco as a toad behind my RV, weight has me second guessing Squatching.
I bet they probably stayed away from aluminum to give the Bronco more structural integrity for off reading. Alluminum would probably bend a lot easier.

NPBronco91

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Ford Bronco - Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm right there with you and your concenrs, though I'm aiming for a BD right out of the gate. As near as I can tell, it should be ae to handle well above 6k weight if you are on mostly flat roads or off road at lower speeds. It might not do so if you are bashing it hard off rocks fully loaded though.
I think it'll handle the back off road trails just fine. Not looking to do the rock crawls or crazy off roads. What I'm most concerned about is in like 1-2 years of adding the roof rack, rtt, and equipment and going on the trails. Then another 7-8 years and getting an off road teardrop trailer, that's well under the tow limit, but still having the roof rack, rtt, equipment and even add kids in the equation. Was really eyeing the 2.7 but may have to bite the bullet on either the 2dr or 2.3 BL.

Skeletor

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My Whip
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I think it'll handle the back off road trails just fine. Not looking to do the rock crawls or crazy off roads. What I'm most concerned about is in like 1-2 years of adding the roof rack, rtt, and equipment and going on the trails. Then another 7-8 years and getting an off road teardrop trailer, that's well under the tow limit, but still having the roof rack, rtt, equipment and even add kids in the equation. Was really eyeing the 2.7 but may have to bite the bullet on either the 2dr or 2.3 BL.
Yeah, I think it will handle the rough stuff well unless you arw fully loaded at full speed.

I think the concern has to be more with some of the individual components of the suspension. The axles and wheels/tires should be more than capable of handling over 10k lbs.

After doing as much research as I can, I think the 4dr will be able to handle 1k or so payload with ease.

Sponsored

mneblett

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F-150, 2019 Mustang GT vert, 2019 Corvette
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I bet they probably stayed away from aluminum to give the Bronco more structural integrity for off reading. Alluminum would probably bend a lot easier.
All the body panels are Aluminum. Frame and floor are steel.

In other words, it's a pig, even with a large amount of Al use.

Skeletor

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My Whip
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
All the body panels are Aluminum. Frame and floor are steel.

In other words, it's a pig, even with a large amount of Al use.
Yeah, no doubt. It's really surprising how much these things weigh. I wonder how long before someone puts one through the floor on a single lane country bridge.

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

As a side note: I just went out and checked the GVWR on my 05 Wrangler LJ: 4750 lbs curb weight is listed on the web as 3750, but mine's a hardtop Rubicon so I'm sure it's over 4K. I carry two people and an incredibly heavy hunting camp over very rough terrain, no problem

Skeletor

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My Whip
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
As a side note: I just went out and checked the GVWR on my 05 Wrangler LJ: 4750 lbs curb weight is listed on the web as 3750, but mine's a hardtop Rubicon so I'm sure it's over 4K. I carry two people and an incredibly heavy hunting camp over very rough terrain, no problem
I think it will be ok as long as people use common sense. I think the biggest issue is we have all this time to wait and over analyze the heck out of everything.

jaruss01

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XC90 T6 R-Design / 2020 S60 T6 AWD
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Can we cut to the chase here?

After sifting through the data is sounds like -

Ford is setting the GVWR down to 6000 or less to be in a specific weight class. But it’s kind of a somewhat fake number. While it could cause some nuances with delivering specific parts, the Bronco could reallly take on more payload with minimal problems. In the real world, a 2.7L badlands loaded with gear, while exceeding a 6000 GVWR, will probably be totally fine, and we’re overreacting.

Sponsored

BackcountryBirds

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ram Power Wagon
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Can we cut to the chase here?

After sifting through the data is sounds like -

Ford is setting the GVWR down to 6000 or less to be in a specific weight class. But it’s kind of a somewhat fake number. While it could cause some nuances with delivering specific parts, the Bronco could reallly take on more payload with minimal problems. In the real world, a 2.7L badlands loaded with gear, while exceeding a 6000 GVWR, will probably be totally fine, and we’re overreacting.

We all hope your are right, but I'm unconvinced. Ford could surely find a way to sell a roof rack or at least a sound deadening headliner if it was just an artificial number and not a real safety concern.

Take it from someone that has an off-road vehicle with a soft suspension that lowers payload (power wagon). It's not a great idea to exceed the payload. I've done it on road a time or two and it degrades the handling significantly and the rear sags. If I took it offroad weighed down like that it would significantly degrade capability and may even get dangerous or break something. My payload for a full size HD truck is only 1200 pounds.

Now add in the shorter wheel base and higher center of gravity on a sasquatch bronco and I can absolutely believe we may be looking at payloads well under 1000 pounds. I just hope folks are paying attention to this. Even simple things like loading up a family of four with a bunch of camping gear might be too much for it's listed payload. I think in Ford's quest to out Jeep a Jeep off-road while still having all the latest tech, they overlooked some practicality in payload and towing. I guess only time will tell.

DGTUX20

Badlands
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 TDI Sportwagen
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Been reading threads on GVWR and want to know if I should have any concerns.

Ordering a 2dr badlands w/Sasquatch. Hoping by then they will offer the color matched modular hard top. I do not plan on towing(not sure I’ll even get the hitch) Will be removing the backseats. I weigh 150lb and will rarely have a passenger.

That said...

If I were to add a Gobi rack(2dr Wrangler ranger rack weighs 88lb for reference), maxtrax, high lift jack and some other gear. Oh and possibly a winch down the road.

Am I good? Will I be risking too top heavy of a vehicle?
Sponsored