Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Ford Bronco - Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Yeah, but some people are very, very risk averse. Count on it, someone is worrying about loading the roof rack, having a mishap, and getting denial of coverage ... because the insurance company assembles everything back on a scale and says it was 20lbs over GVWR, lol.
Are insurance companies typically aware of the modifications you make to your vehicle? Or are supposed to make them aware of that? How would they know youā€™re over by 20lbs? Serious question
Sponsored

Willwork4bronco

Badlands
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
So how would a 4 door have more payload with the same suspension and as a heavier vehicle and still stay under 6,000 pounds GVWR? I assume it would have to have a higher GVWR.

I also am not buying that the payload is artificially low. Your payload is what the vehicle says. Every vehicle can probably exceed payload by a bit, but it's the potential issues that can occur when you do. That may be insurance, warranty, liability, parts breaking etc. It's simply not a good idea to run a vehicle above listed payload and towing specs.

Also, it sounds like a roof top tent/roof rack is going to cause some major stability issues if the suspension is already so soft that its payload is under 1000 pounds. Probably another reason the rack is not offered on sasquatch and has such a low weight rating.

This is frustrating, as I do a lot of backcountry camping with quite a bit of gear/weight. Payload and towing are my two biggest concerns on this thing. Sucks, because it has so much potential. Ford, just build a full size bronco already!
When I say I think they are artificially low Iā€™m trying to say that maybe if it was tested to the max maybe it would be 6.8k or something not like 8.5k. I think ford is keeping it at 6k and below for class, tax, DOT, and CAFE reasons among a bunch more that I donā€™t even know about. Like in a F150, 250, 350 etc. canā€™t go over a certain weight. Not because it canā€™t necessarily handle it. Hell I towed a 12k tractor with a F150 but it was short and sweet and not on a freeway. Liability also comes in to play if ford says that the payload is 1500lbs or it can tow 7500lbs and a bunch flip there is no avoiding a class action. The other part comes in from a warranty aspect but thatā€™s a whole different can of worms. I think it all revolves around a Jeep Wrangler, Ford is trying to compete/beat them but if all Jeep has to say is yeah but youā€™re in a different class or small vs large SUV itā€™s kind of a wash. Just my take

Last edited:

Willwork4bronco

Badlands
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Are insurance companies typically aware of the modifications you make to your vehicle? Or are supposed to make them aware of that? How would they know youā€™re over by 20lbs? Serious question
No probably not, but I have heard stories from people- but just stories. But trying to sue ford because you are towing a 7K trailer and get in an accident or the manufacturer of a lift that gave you a bunch of fancy hunter orange stickers saying the vehicle was modified and donā€™t perform the way it used to. All they have to say is we told you...

Willwork4bronco

Badlands
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I wouldn't use the photo from a prototype vehicle and get worked up over it.... In July, Ford's preliminary specs for payload were 1170 and 1370 lbs. I don't think it would have dropped by 300 pounds since then.

https://media.ford.com/content/dam/fordmedia/North America/US/product/2021/bronco/pdf/2021-Bronco-2dr-4dr-Prelim-Tech-Specs.pdf
Those specs are max payload likely calculated from a base with zero options. The sticker as far as I know is a legal requirement (I get it itā€™s a prototype) but probably a lot closer t a Sasquatch badlandsā€™ true payload. Add a heavier engine, transmission, and other options it goes away pretty quick. I donā€™t have any proof but I bet there is about a 200lb difference between a 2.3 and a 2.7.

Sponsored

BackcountryBirds

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ram Power Wagon
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Yeah, but some people are very, very risk averse. Count on it, someone is worrying about loading the roof rack, having a mishap, and getting denial of coverage ... because the insurance company assembles everything back on a scale and says it was 20lbs over GVWR, lol.
And some people have lived through situations that make them cautious. We got sued by some jackass in New Orleans a few years back. My wife literally bumped into him at less than 5 mph and it was an 18 month nightmare. Literally, no damage to either vehicle or to his health, but he claimed he had neck problems. The insurance company finally settled with the guy for like low 6 figures, but it was fight and they literally were looking for reasons why we were at fault so they could disqualify us from coverage.

Not payload related, but all that to say that governments, lawyers, insurance companies and people are more crooked now than ever. Why give them a reason as to why you are at fault and potentially liable? People love to sue these days. I'll take my chances with a vehicle towing/hauling the appropriate amount as one less thing to worry about.

I agree that if you are close you will be fine. However, say you take a couple friends to the lake, You load up with a pile of camping gear and a roof top tent up top and maybe even towing a boat and you will be over by a lot and may have a problem if you get in an accident. I for one don't think it's unrealistic to want to go camp/tow a boat to the lake with a few of your friends. Should be right in the bronco's wheelhouse, not some outlandish overweight scenario, which it appears to be. In fact I used my old 1982 Bronco for similar trips a couple decades ago. To each his own, but I think low payload and towing (if it indeed is as low as expected) is a major problem. Hopefully, the prototype isn't indicative of what the production vehicles will have.

jaspercasidino

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Iā€™ve been cross shopping mid-sized trucks. For the Chevy ZR2 selecting the gas or diesel engine changes the GVWR from 6000lb to 6200lb. I wonder what the ramifications for Chevy and the consumer are and why Ford (presumably) decided to not pursue different classifications for different engine/suspension/door configurations.

Jnf

Black Diamond
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mini Cooper, Cadillac XTS
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Posted this over in the towing thread but thought it might fit here for those interested door sticker says 816 for payload.
That is lousy and I fear it is why Ford is so delinquent in posting final payload specs for the Bronco. Wonā€™t be ordering before those specs are published and wonā€™t be buying if the payload is a meager 816 lbs.

Skeletor

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My Whip
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
That is lousy and I fear it is why Ford is so delinquent in posting final payload specs for the Bronco. Wonā€™t be ordering before those specs are published and wonā€™t be buying if the payload is a meager 816 lbs.
Yeah. I cannot spend 45k on a vehicle that cannot haul my family on trips. If the payload is only 800lbs, that's pretty much useless to me. I'd sadly have to bow out of getting one if it were that low.

In fairness to everyone, Ford should release these specs soon so people can make an informed decision.

Willwork4bronco

Badlands
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
It is kinda lousy but pretty much on par with a similarly equiped 2 door wrangler

Reactions: Jnf

Sponsored

Skeletor

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My Whip
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
It is kinda lousy but pretty much on par with a similarly equiped 2 door wrangler
The problem, I think, is that the suspension and everything is the same between the 2 and the 4 door. Does that mean the heavier 4dr has an even smaller payload?

pa
I think the payload for a 2 door wrangler is closer to 1k.

Last edited:

2Jeeps&PatriotX1

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 4dr Badsquatch, ā€˜05 LJ & ā€˜17 F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Artificially low payload is found on de-rated 3/4 ton trucks. GVWR is like 10300-11300 lbs on 3/4 ton, but beacuse of DOT restrictions and licensing in some states you can order a 9900 or 10000 GVWR from factory. Same everything, just the sticker.
Yep. Just paying for a GVWR sticker between the F250/350.

Willwork4bronco

Badlands
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The problem, I think, is that the suspension and everything is the same between the 2 and the 4 door. Does that mean the heavier 4dr has an even smaller payload?

pa

I think the payload for a 2 door wrangler is closer to 1k.
Donā€™t know but if the GVWR is capped at 6k yes.
And yes it is closer to 1k starting with no options but start adding things and it drops quick. https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/payload-850.13781/

that sticker was off what looked like a Sasquatch badlands 2 door so it doesnā€™t get a whole lot heavier than that unless you add a couple more doors. Probably why thereā€™s no tow package in a FE and you canā€™t get roof racks and what not on a 4 door

Skeletor

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My Whip
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Donā€™t know but if the GVWR is capped at 6k yes.
And yes it is closer to 1k starting with no options but start adding things and it drops quick. https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/payload-850.13781/

that sticker was off what looked like a Sasquatch badlands 2 door so it doesnā€™t get a whole lot heavier than that unless you add a couple more doors. Probably why thereā€™s no tow package in a FE and you canā€™t get roof racks and what not on a 4 door
Yeah, I think you are right with respect to the sticker being on a 2 dr 2.7 BD.

How much more weight would the 4 dr add? If the GVWR is the same for the two, you could potentially have a 500 or 600 lb payload on a 4 dr vehicle! That cannot possibly be right. Even assuming Ford calculated the weight of each person as a miniscule 150 lbs, 600lbs of payload is just barely enough to carry 5 people.
Sponsored