Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma Pro
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

So, at this point. I will either get the 2.3 with the manual or the 2.7 auto. No longer am i torn about performance. If the 2.3 is plenty enough, the 2.7 is just icing.

This is my thoughts as well. I still want the 2.3 manual but if it truly can't be had with a mid-package BD I'll have no issues going to the 2.7 auto. A BD with the 2.7 is still cheaper than a BL with a 2.3 and a stick.

The 2.3 has more power than any truck or SUV I've ever owned so the thoughts that the 2.3 is "underpowered" are unfounded.

If it came down to budget I'd have no issues with a 2.3 and auto. But if I'm forced into the auto I'm gonna say eff it and spring a bit more for the 2.7.
Sponsored

jehines3

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lexus RX350L, Chevrolet Silverado, Lincoln MKC
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
My wife has the 2.0T in her Lincoln and it too is surprisingly fast. These Ford boosted 4 pots are amazing. A 4 door badlands, Lux, will become my Daily Driver and I'm already stepping back in towing capability from my Toyota highlander 5000lb rating. I have a performance sailboat that going down the road is 3400lbs with all the gear, and we tow it to regattas. I'm only selecting the big motor for that reason. If I can ever swing a second Bronco, it will be a 2 door ManSquatch dream build. I can't build that now anyway, so I sleep well with my decision. Thanks Ford for not offering it now, I'd be having some hard talks with the CFO.

GaryB2220

Badlands
First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'99 4runner, '10 Town & Country
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The 4 cylinder can be tuned to produce more power than the stock v6 for under a grand. Just a heads up

noahr

Black Diamond
First Name
Noah @ Mullinax
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

With ordering just over a month away I decided to try the 2.3. So, headed to damerow ford today which is where my reservation is and met with Kyushu. He handed me the keys to a new ranger to take for a spin to help me decide on powertrain.

My conclusion is now inconclusive.

First of all, the 2.3 exceeded my expectations with a quick ramp up to 75mph on the highway. Overall it was not sluggish in any way. At first I thought there was hesitation from a dead stop but it turned out to be the stupid auto engine stop. I disabled that and no more hesitation.

Here is why I am now more confused than before ....

I want the BL with sasqauatch. Love the manual option. However, after driving the ranger with the 10 speed auto, i have to say it has me thinking twice about the manual. I already had a Jaguar F type with a 6 speed which I adored. But driving the F is a different experience than driving an off road vehicle.

So, at this point. I will either get the 2.3 with the manual or the 2.7 auto. No longer am i torn about performance. If the 2.3 is plenty enough, the 2.7 is just icing.

Lastly, I saw a gt500 in iconic silver at the dealer. Wow! It has some dark flakes which really darkens it just perfectly. That with black accents is tops. Needless to say my color choice has been made.

BTW, awesome team at Damerow ford.
You make a lot of great points, I have driven my share of these engines and I gotta say even the difference between a 2.7 with the 6 speed vs the 10 speed is mind boggling. When I first drove the 2.7 it was with the 6 speed and I was frankly underwhelmed but by god that 10 speed is incredible, the transmission is what makes it for me and the 2.7 with the 10 speed even on a loaded out heavy f150 is not only quick it is fast not only off the line but at speed, drops gears instantly and the front end lifts because of how hard that thing punches. The 2.3 is fantastic and it is a well tested and tried and true engine but a lot of the points about long term wear are valid, also it doesn't shoot you into hyperspace like that 2.7 so I am going with the big boy myself.

noahr

Black Diamond
First Name
Noah @ Mullinax
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

The 4 cylinder can be tuned to produce more power than the stock v6 for under a grand. Just a heads up
Even if it is a ford performance tune that keeps your warranty you will have a lot more wear and problems down the line. Forced induction is already harder on engines than NA and if u take that to the nth degree it can be problematic very quickly

Sponsored

GaryB2220

Badlands
First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Even if it is a ford performance tune that keeps your warranty you will have a lot more wear and problems down the line. Forced induction is already harder on engines than NA and if u take that to the nth degree it can be problematic very quickly
The Ford performance and Roush pacs have a 3 year 36k Mile warranty with them. Also, you are pretty much forced to use the higher octane gas, which will do more for keeping the valves and nozzles cleaner than cheap 87gas. There is always a compromise when it comes to power/performance vs efficiency/longevity

noahr

Black Diamond
First Name
Noah @ Mullinax
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

The Ford performance and Roush pacs have a 3 year 36k Mile warranty with them. Also, you are pretty much forced to use the higher octane gas, which will do more for keeping the valves and nozzles cleaner than cheap 87gas. There is always a compromise when it comes to power/performance vs efficiency/longevity
So you pay more long term since u need to use premium vs having better performance us 87 also wawa gas is the move

_2020_

Badlands
First Name
Sylvain
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Mini Countryman S , 2015 JKU, 2017 X5 3.5i
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Mine is the 4-cylinder versus the 6... I’m currently driving a SUV rental w/a 4 while our 6 is sidelined and I noticed it lacked that explosiveness on the highway.

Example: if Im on the highway and traffic sort of slows, but then picks back up, I find I can’t get it to accelerate at an appreciable rate without trying to really “Gun” the pedal. If I don’t, it leads to a big enough gap that someone inevitably changing lanes in front of me; which annoys the piss out of me.

My assumption is the Terrain SLT we’re in is just the 170 HP 9-Speed; which is fine except that detail. So, I recognize that’s 100 HP below the Bronco, but I think the $2K bump is an easy upgrade for my piece of mind. I like knowing I’ll get more and possibly better trade in IF that Warthog or Bronco Raptor is too much to not get.

I expect having this Bronco for +10-years like my current car, but I also know my current car is undervalued on the market, so I’m not motivated to trade it in or sell it for under what I’m currently appreciating it at.
I have a JKU, believe me imthe is nothing explosive in having that v6.
On the other hand a 1.6l-4l mini cooper S is explosive...
Engine size doesn’t really matter on explosiveness of the engine. I exoect the 2.3 turbo to react much better than the jeep v6. And probably the 2.7 will have a little less lag in low RPMs thanks to the dual turbo

my 2¢

noahr

Black Diamond
First Name
Noah @ Mullinax
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I have a JKU, believe me imthe is nothing explosive in having that v6.
On the other hand a 1.6l-4l mini cooper S is explosive...
Engine size doesn’t really matter on explosiveness of the engine. I exoect the 2.3 turbo to react much better than the jeep v6. And probably the 2.7 will have a little less lag in low RPMs thanks to the dual turbo

my 2¢
The transmission is also hugely important. The 10 speed is fantastic and having driven both engines a lot I can wholeheartedly say that the 2.7 goes hard not only off the line but at speed.

GaryB2220

Badlands
First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I did the math already. I have a 0.75mile commute and average 7-10k miles per year. Premium is about 25¢ more per gallon. It's only like a hundred fifty more... Per year. I saved more money than that back in April when I quit smoing,chewing, and vaping. That's like saying "fuck going to Wendy's for $1.19 burgers, I'll just get the $1.00 dollar ones from McDonald's". Maybe a poor analogy. But am extra 50hp and 60lb two for $895 and an extra $4 per full tank every 2 weeks is worth it to me.
So you pay more long term since u need to use premium vs having better performance us 87 also wawa gas is the move

Sponsored

noahr

Black Diamond
First Name
Noah @ Mullinax
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I did the math already. I have a 0.75mile commute and average 7-10k miles per year. Premium is about 25¢ more per gallon. It's only like a hundred fifty more... Per year. I saved more money than that back in April when I quit smoing,chewing, and vaping. That's like saying "fuck going to Wendy's for $1.19 burgers, I'll just get the $1.00 dollar ones from McDonald's". Maybe a poor analogy. But am extra 50hp and 60lb two for $895 and an extra $4 per full tank every 2 weeks is worth it to me.
I envy your commute mine is like 30 miles each way lol. Also good shit on losing the tobacco and for burgers five guys is the only move.

EvlNvrDys

Banned
Big Bend
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'84 Bronco, '93 Bronco, '94 Bronco, 2012 Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I keep telling people, the 2.3 is putting out same/better numbers than the 351w’s that were in the 95 FSB’s. It will push the Bronco around fine. The 2.7 is going to be a rocket.
A lot of people keep saying that.. but... the 5.8's also were towing 7k pounds with ease. Had out 3 speed + overdrive, didn't matter what gears were in the rear.. It did it well. And if you put the 2 engines against each other.. with same suspension (to rule that factor out). I'd guess the 5.8 wins all day long towing. But I'm sure people will come in here to prove me wrong.

The Bronco isn't a sports car. Though I hope the 2.7 will get me moving. All these posts about the 2.3.... It's going to come down to whether or not people want the extra speed/power from the 2.7 or not. I drove a 2.3 Ranger, didn't like it. But plenty have been surprised by it.

_2020_

Badlands
First Name
Sylvain
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Mini Countryman S , 2015 JKU, 2017 X5 3.5i
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The transmission is also hugely important. The 10 speed is fantastic and having driven both engines a lot I can wholeheartedly say that the 2.7 goes hard not only off the line but at speed.
I moved to the US 8 years ago. I didn’t know what an automatic transmission was at that time ?...
My first experience was a Buick Enclave (OMG what a sloth...).... Then a Durango R/T engine sounded great but it felt like 200hp got lost in the transmission... Wrangler is a Manual at least When engine revs up it goes to the wheels... Mini is automatic but “older” model (2015) its reacting fine but not perfect... we had an X2 M35i for a few months awesome automatic transmission on it but that an advanced BMW transmission...

So far I am a little reluctant with automatic transmissions especially by US manufacturers as people are used to their behavior. European manufacturers seem to try to give more of a manual feeling to the way transmission reacts.

I heard/read a lot of good things on the 10 speed auto from Ford. I hope it’s tgat good!

GaryB2220

Badlands
First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I envy your commute mine is like 30 miles each way lol. Also good shit on losing the tobacco and for burgers five guys is the only move.
I do like 5 guys. The last one I ate at tho had soggy yet still burnt fries. Moved out to the middle of nowhere where the best burgers are from the local non chain restaurants. No wawa's up here either. Although Rutter's has aggressively moved in to battle Sheetz. Filled up the other day outside state college for $2.05 a gallon. Love competition

Tonka1

Badlands
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Willys
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I put new tires on my daily driver yesterday which is a 2014 Ford Expedition. Same tire size but an LT rating instead of the P rating, so a heavier tire. It made a very noticeable difference acceleration wise with my 5.4l V8. I tow boats and an ATV around. I also plan to order the sasquatch package because it will be used off road a lot, not necessarily rock crawling but unimproved 2 track trails and forest roads. Ive never heard anyone complain about having too much HP or performance. Im going with the 2.7l because you can't go back and change the engine easily.
Sponsored