mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford focus st
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

At the deli at publix the lady always give you samples of the stuff they are slicing ??

Ricepuddin

Badlands
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 BMW 340i and 1998 bmw m3
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Funny I dont even know who or what that is but everyone knows the pub sub....
It's the biggest grocery store in Texas, voted one of the best places to work in the USA ( Forbes).

I have to say living in many states , HEB is a whole different experience and has some of the best store brand food I've ever had.

Publix does have good subs though.

Austin26

Base
First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Subaru Crosstrek
Your Bronco Model
Base
It's the biggest grocery store in Texas, voted one of the best places to work in the USA ( Forbes).

I have to say living in many states , HEB is a whole different experience and has some of the best store brand food I've ever had.
When I had moved to California I missed HEB the most. I'm back in Texas now but my wife likes Kroger so guess where we usually go.

Sponsored

Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Hey, not to take this too far off topic: But this was actually a viable thread on the 2.3 for people until it turned into a sandwich thread. We're all guilty of this!

Perhaps it can get a moderator wipe-down (clean up, Isle 3 in the HERB!) since we're moving closer to order time and some of the lurkers and post-B&P new members are starting to come online for content?

Ford Bronco Had to drive the 2.3 image[1]

Hoofnmouth

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford focus st
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Hey, not to take this too far off topic: But this was actually a viable thread on the 2.3 for people until it turned into a sandwich thread. We're all guilty of this!

Perhaps it can get a moderator wipe-down (clean up, Isle 3 in the HERB!) since we're moving closer to order time and some of the lurkers and post-B&P new members are starting to come online for content?
Good call but i sure got a hankering for a whataburger (texas that is)

Ricepuddin

Badlands
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

When I had moved to California I missed HEB the most. I'm back in Texas now but my wife likes Kroger so guess where we usually go.
We lived in hawaii before being stationed in texas again. Everytime we had to go to the commissary or the local grocery store (Food land) I would tell my wife how much I miss HEB and how much I hated either store.

I am not even a native texan, I've just been inducted into the Cult of HEB

Ricepuddin

Badlands
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

image[1].gif
Before it does , don't ever do herb before heb. You'll either be broke or fat.

Okay back on topic. The 2.3 won't suck because it's a 4cly it'll suck because ford screwed it up. Exact same thing can be said about the 2.7.

I personally want the 2.7 but not more than I want a manual. Though in 2020 I am just happy there is 3 pedal option

Last edited:

Austin26

Base
First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Subaru Crosstrek
Your Bronco Model
Base
Okay back on topic. The 2.3 won't suck because it's a 4cly it'll suck because ford screwed it up. Exact same thing can be said about the 2.7.
So your beef is that it's small displacement with f forced induction? The only other issue I've learned so far is with the 2.3 and carbon buildup though I've no experience myself.

Sponsored

Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor

I personally want the 2.7 but not more than I want a manual. Though in 2020 I am just happy there is 3 pedal option
manual transmission was a requirement for my next vehicle (once current lease runs out), there were about 5 options which weren't Toyota Corolla, this will be the most fun by far! Would have accepted nearly any sports car that wasn't a Mustang (too cramped).

So your beef is that it's small displacement with f forced induction? The only other issue I've learned so far is with the 2.3 and carbon buildup though I've no experience myself.
The 2.7 having dual port injection allows fuel to act as a detergent on the top of the valves. It's essentially gen 2 high pressure fuel injection and superior to what is in the 2.3.

However, there are ways to mitigate the buildup on a direct injection engine and have it be a 100,000 mile issue (which is a non-issue IMHO once you can safely push back basic maintenance to being a 100K issue). Oil catch can will solve 80% of this issue on it's own. Then you have to do a head cleaning which the dealership can do (if you were still under warranty for some reason at 100K).

If you swap vehicles every 5 years or lease them, the carbon buildup is quite literally a non-issue for you in any way.

IMHO the biggest issue with the 2.3 is the high pressure fuel pump itself, it has proven to be a higher maintenance unit that some owners report fuel dilution in the oil. This can be found in the oil of your catch can (you read the paragraph above!), or by monitoring oil levels and seeing the oil level rise, or by sending your oil out for testing at Blackstone labs (always encouraged on the first few oil changes to get a sense for oil life). This is a fairly consistent non-germanic issue with high pressure fuel pumps that the seals aren't up to the job and a little fuel will leak into oil. On Ranger forums a minority of users (less than 20 that I have tracked so far) have continuous issues with this and regional service representatives who seem incapable of understanding this issue. The vast majority of people who have rising oil levels will get that high pressure fuel pump replaced under warranty with the first visit.

Drain/fill of oil on a direct injection engine is generally recommended to be done at 5,000 miles MAX due to the typical fuel dilution in the oil. I have pushed oil changes to over 12,000 miles in my Mitsubishi Evo track car after Blackstone labs oil analysis proved the oil to be sound until that mileage. For Bronco, i'll do my first few oil changes at 500/1,000/2,000/3,000 miles with testing on each. Then push the next change out to 7,000 miles on the clock and see what 4k miles results in from blackstone (i suggest using the same grade/brand oil for each of your first few changes if you do this so you can send in the "clean" sample with every "dirty" sample to get accurate baselines)

Now, it's important to understand that obviously forum usage represents a small fraction of vehicle owners. there are possibly a hundred or so Ranger forum users who reported fuel dilution and were serviced at the dealership. With a vehicle reporting close to 100,000 units per year, plus Mustang sales (I do not frequent mustang forums to opine on the issues from their perspective) having the volume of known issues the forum is reporting is essentially a non-issue IMHO. EVERY vehicle ever made will have some issue with ranges from annoying to catastrophic. Audi requiring about $700 in labor simply to access $20 belts/hoses is an example of something that would be a deal breaker for me. Having a $90 part which is easily accessible that could need replacement at 40K miles is not an issue for a vehicle I own.

Ricepuddin

Badlands
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

No, I honestly have no beef with small displacement forced induction car. What I mean is that if ford does it right, both options will be good. The cabin build up is annoying but there things you can do to mitigate this. For example rev it out from time to time or have it walnut blasted

Big L 65

Outer Banks
First Name
Oliver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
If your Leasing the Bronco then get the 2.3 but if you plan on keeping the Bronco long term I would go 2.7

Austin26

Base
First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Subaru Crosstrek
Your Bronco Model
Base
Thanks @Rick Astley I can't say that I'll be sending my oil off to a lab unless it's reasonable but thank you for that information.

No, I honestly have no beef with small displacement forced induction car. What I mean is that if ford does it right, both options will be good. The cabin build up is annoying but there things you can do to mitigate this. For example rev it out from time to time or have it walnut blasted
Yes but you said Ford screwed it up and I'm asking what did they screw up.