First Name
Oliver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Based upon........ Please expand beyond blanket and vague statements.

The 2.3 will be good in the beginning but the Bronco is a heavy vehicle add the Sasquatch package that’s more stress on the motor. How well you think it’s gonna run with 100k on it ??

Ricepuddin

Badlands
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 BMW 340i and 1998 bmw m3
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

manual transmission was a requirement for my next vehicle (once current lease runs out), there were about 5 options which weren't Toyota Corolla, this will be the most fun by far! Would have accepted nearly any sports car that wasn't a Mustang (too cramped).

The 2.7 having dual port injection allows fuel to act as a detergent on the top of the valves. It's essentially gen 2 high pressure fuel injection and superior to what is in the 2.3.

However, there are ways to mitigate the buildup on a direct injection engine and have it be a 100,000 mile issue (which is a non-issue IMHO once you can safely push back basic maintenance to being a 100K issue). Oil catch can will solve 80% of this issue on it's own. Then you have to do a head cleaning which the dealership can do (if you were still under warranty for some reason at 100K).

If you swap vehicles every 5 years or lease them, the carbon buildup is quite literally a non-issue for you in any way.

IMHO the biggest issue with the 2.3 is the high pressure fuel pump itself, it has proven to be a higher maintenance unit that some owners report fuel dilution in the oil. This can be found in the oil of your catch can (you read the paragraph above!), or by monitoring oil levels and seeing the oil level rise, or by sending your oil out for testing at Blackstone labs (always encouraged on the first few oil changes to get a sense for oil life). This is a fairly consistent non-germanic issue with high pressure fuel pumps that the seals aren't up to the job and a little fuel will leak into oil. On Ranger forums a minority of users (less than 20 that I have tracked so far) have continuous issues with this and regional service representatives who seem incapable of understanding this issue. The vast majority of people who have rising oil levels will get that high pressure fuel pump replaced under warranty with the first visit.

Drain/fill of oil on a direct injection engine is generally recommended to be done at 5,000 miles MAX due to the typical fuel dilution in the oil. I have pushed oil changes to over 12,000 miles in my Mitsubishi Evo track car after Blackstone labs oil analysis proved the oil to be sound until that mileage. For Bronco, i'll do my first few oil changes at 500/1,000/2,000/3,000 miles with testing on each. Then push the next change out to 7,000 miles on the clock and see what 4k miles results in from blackstone (i suggest using the same grade/brand oil for each of your first few changes if you do this so you can send in the "clean" sample with every "dirty" sample to get accurate baselines)

Now, it's important to understand that obviously forum usage represents a small fraction of vehicle owners. there are possibly a hundred or so Ranger forum users who reported fuel dilution and were serviced at the dealership. With a vehicle reporting close to 100,000 units per year, plus Mustang sales (I do not frequent mustang forums to opine on the issues from their perspective) having the volume of known issues the forum is reporting is essentially a non-issue IMHO. EVERY vehicle ever made will have some issue with ranges from annoying to catastrophic. Audi requiring about $700 in labor simply to access $20 belts/hoses is an example of something that would be a deal breaker for me. Having a $90 part which is easily accessible that could need replacement at 40K miles is not an issue for a vehicle I own.
Screams in BMW ownership

Ford Bronco Had to drive the 2.3 4ccvb8-1

Thanks @Rick Astley I can't say that I'll be sending my oil off to a lab unless it's reasonable but thank you for that information.

Yes but you said Ford screwed it up and I'm asking what did they screw up.
No I mean if it ends up sucking it will have been because of ford. Sorry I am sleep deprived

noahr

Black Diamond
First Name
Noah @ Mullinax
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

It's the biggest grocery store in Texas, voted one of the best places to work in the USA ( Forbes).

I have to say living in many states , HEB is a whole different experience and has some of the best store brand food I've ever had.

Publix does have good subs though.
Yeah i used to work at publix back in the day and they are also voted one of the best places to work lol. Ill have to try it out, I like me some good food

Bobthebuilder

Badlands
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Challenger SRT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Did you take a look at the MSRP on that Ranger? Look at a fully loaded Ranger and it starts becoming real clear how over priced the Bronco is. 60K and we get the base engine from an F-150 and we can’t even option a painted roof.

Sponsored

Gamecock

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands / Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Did you take a look at the MSRP on that Ranger? Look at a fully loaded Ranger and it starts becoming real clear how over priced the Bronco is. 60K and we get the base engine from an F-150 and we can’t even option a painted roof.
I guess we’ll see how overpriced it is real soon...if it doesn’t sell, it’s overpriced. If it sells like crazy, they priced it correctly or too low. By the way, it is not competing with Ranger...it is competing with Jeep and pricing is almost exact for like trims, with the Bronco better in many ways....and the Wrangler sells amazingly well. That would seem to indicate pretty good pricing strategy.

if you still think it’s overpriced, price out a $56k Badlands with 35s and compare it to a $56k Rubicon with 33s, a much worse engine and tranny, and let me know how the two compare on paper. Sales would indicate Rubi is priced correctly.

_2020_

Badlands
First Name
Sylvain
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Mini Countryman S , 2015 JKU, 2017 X5 3.5i
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The 2.3 will be good in the beginning but the Bronco is a heavy vehicle add the Sasquatch package that’s more stress on the motor. How well you think it’s gonna run with 100k on it ??
It’s gonna be just fine.
How many commercial vans running 2-2.5 4cyl engines in Europe? They have plenty of miles on them!

Bobthebuilder

Badlands
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Challenger SRT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I guess we’ll see how overpriced it is real soon...if it doesn’t sell, it’s overpriced. If it sells like crazy, they priced it correctly or too low. By the way, it is not competing with Ranger...it is competing with Jeep and pricing is almost exact for like trims, with the Bronco better in many ways....and the Wrangler sells amazingly well. That would seem to indicate pretty good pricing strategy.

if you still think it’s overpriced, price out a $56k Badlands with 35s and compare it to a $56k Rubicon with 33s, a much worse engine and tranny, and let me know how the two compare on paper. Sales would indicate Rubi is priced correctly.
Obviously never configured a Rubicon... 51K for a Bronco with Leather without the Sasquatch. A compatible optioned rubicon can be had for 45K. I have no love for a 56K Bronco with a plastic top.

04FC60A3-726A-4620-854A-2D700E34F4C5.png

C5CD596B-4027-4A00-BEDC-5B01F7DB2A61.png

Gquag

Badlands
First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1936 Ford Pickup
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
With ordering just over a month away I decided to try the 2.3. So, headed to damerow ford today which is where my reservation is and met with Kyushu. He handed me the keys to a new ranger to take for a spin to help me decide on powertrain.

My conclusion is now inconclusive.

First of all, the 2.3 exceeded my expectations with a quick ramp up to 75mph on the highway. Overall it was not sluggish in any way. At first I thought there was hesitation from a dead stop but it turned out to be the stupid auto engine stop. I disabled that and no more hesitation.

Here is why I am now more confused than before ....

I want the BL with sasqauatch. Love the manual option. However, after driving the ranger with the 10 speed auto, i have to say it has me thinking twice about the manual. I already had a Jaguar F type with a 6 speed which I adored. But driving the F is a different experience than driving an off road vehicle.

So, at this point. I will either get the 2.3 with the manual or the 2.7 auto. No longer am i torn about performance. If the 2.3 is plenty enough, the 2.7 is just icing.

Lastly, I saw a gt500 in iconic silver at the dealer. Wow! It has some dark flakes which really darkens it just perfectly. That with black accents is tops. Needless to say my color choice has been made.

BTW, awesome team at Damerow ford.
Funny, yesterday I just drove a 2.7l F150 xcab i was ok with it. I clearly need to keep in mind its a truck. Not Gwagon

Gamecock

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands / Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Obviously never configured a Rubicon... 51K for a Bronco with Leather without the Sasquatch. A compatible optioned rubicon can be had for 45K. I have no love for a 56K Bronco with a plastic top.

Ford Bronco Had to drive the 2.3 C5CD596B-4027-4A00-BEDC-5B01F7DB2A61

Ford Bronco Had to drive the 2.3 C5CD596B-4027-4A00-BEDC-5B01F7DB2A61
Then buy it if it’s a better value. You and I both know it’s a lie though...you posted a completely stripped one, more like a Black Diamond with std package at best. I ran it today, apples to apples and the Bronco is clearly a better value....but the market will speak to that and make that decision, and you have the choice too...and for some reason you’re here, which kind of makes my point.

Sponsored

Austin26

Base
First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Subaru Crosstrek
Your Bronco Model
Base
Then buy it if it’s a better value. You and I both know it’s a lie though...you posted a completely stripped one, more like a Black Diamond with std package at best. I ran it today, apples to apples and the Bronco is clearly a better value....but the market will speak to that and make that decision, and you have the choice too...and for some reason you’re here, which kind of makes my point.
All I can figure is that since he's throwing a fit about the Bronco earlier and canceled his reservation (another thread) that he's trying to make everyone else not like it. Sounds like a personal problem, not trying to be harsh guy (not you but the guy you are talking about) but let's calm down a bit. If you're no longer wanting a Bronco why stay on this site just to be a negative Nancy?

Funkster

Base
First Name
Winstoncratus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1989 MB 190e 2.6
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

If you watched this dillhole then you get what you paid for (which was free-99). His "assessment" is pure garbage.

Man it's funny to watch how worked up you guys get over a comment.

I don't think that idiot is the one I watched. It was about the bronco some AI feed google thought i would like.

You are making assumptions and then bashing everyone for making vague comments. Needless to say YouTube has a few videos.

My logic is simple and strictly opinion I am by no means an expert. You put even a little bigger engine in a car that weighs this much the engine will most likely not get as much wear. You combine that with a auto where I'm not redlining my shifts and stressing the transmission you get more life. My comment has nothing to do with power or performance which you get plenty of from the 2.3.

Hoofnmouth

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford focus st
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

manual transmission was a requirement for my next vehicle (once current lease runs out), there were about 5 options which weren't Toyota Corolla, this will be the most fun by far! Would have accepted nearly any sports car that wasn't a Mustang (too cramped).

The 2.7 having dual port injection allows fuel to act as a detergent on the top of the valves. It's essentially gen 2 high pressure fuel injection and superior to what is in the 2.3.

However, there are ways to mitigate the buildup on a direct injection engine and have it be a 100,000 mile issue (which is a non-issue IMHO once you can safely push back basic maintenance to being a 100K issue). Oil catch can will solve 80% of this issue on it's own. Then you have to do a head cleaning which the dealership can do (if you were still under warranty for some reason at 100K).

If you swap vehicles every 5 years or lease them, the carbon buildup is quite literally a non-issue for you in any way.

IMHO the biggest issue with the 2.3 is the high pressure fuel pump itself, it has proven to be a higher maintenance unit that some owners report fuel dilution in the oil. This can be found in the oil of your catch can (you read the paragraph above!), or by monitoring oil levels and seeing the oil level rise, or by sending your oil out for testing at Blackstone labs (always encouraged on the first few oil changes to get a sense for oil life). This is a fairly consistent non-germanic issue with high pressure fuel pumps that the seals aren't up to the job and a little fuel will leak into oil. On Ranger forums a minority of users (less than 20 that I have tracked so far) have continuous issues with this and regional service representatives who seem incapable of understanding this issue. The vast majority of people who have rising oil levels will get that high pressure fuel pump replaced under warranty with the first visit.

Drain/fill of oil on a direct injection engine is generally recommended to be done at 5,000 miles MAX due to the typical fuel dilution in the oil. I have pushed oil changes to over 12,000 miles in my Mitsubishi Evo track car after Blackstone labs oil analysis proved the oil to be sound until that mileage. For Bronco, i'll do my first few oil changes at 500/1,000/2,000/3,000 miles with testing on each. Then push the next change out to 7,000 miles on the clock and see what 4k miles results in from blackstone (i suggest using the same grade/brand oil for each of your first few changes if you do this so you can send in the "clean" sample with every "dirty" sample to get accurate baselines)

Now, it's important to understand that obviously forum usage represents a small fraction of vehicle owners. there are possibly a hundred or so Ranger forum users who reported fuel dilution and were serviced at the dealership. With a vehicle reporting close to 100,000 units per year, plus Mustang sales (I do not frequent mustang forums to opine on the issues from their perspective) having the volume of known issues the forum is reporting is essentially a non-issue IMHO. EVERY vehicle ever made will have some issue with ranges from annoying to catastrophic. Audi requiring about $700 in labor simply to access $20 belts/hoses is an example of something that would be a deal breaker for me. Having a $90 part which is easily accessible that could need replacement at 40K miles is not an issue for a vehicle I own.
Rick please keep us informed of the data you collect from testing we could all do good by that?heck ill even throw in a pub sub for you and your gal.
Shoot im so picky about oil and filters i cut all mine open and fish around for stuff.?