Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021...Nope. 2022...still no. 2023? Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Hey everyone happy New Year!

I wanted to solicit some advice and see if I'm on the right track...

For a tiny bit of background: I live in the Denver area and hail is a real issue here. Additionally, I'm an airline pilot so my Bronco is going to be parked uncovered at the airport for 4-6 days at a time. Obviously not an ideal situation.

I'm not *really* worried about the hard top (I figure plastic will at least be able to withstand a bit of hail) but I'm really worried about the hood.

So here's what I'm thinking: Limb risers (I have a BadSquatch on order so will just but the roof rack aftermarket) and then some kind of good/padded car cover (any suggestions for covers - appreciated). Then I'm going to have a cut a hole in the cover so the parking folks can see my parking tag hung on my rearview mirror.

I'm hoping by throwing the cover over limb risers that'll create enough of a barrier that the hood should be mostly protected from hail.

I guess if the cover won't fit perfectly I can always add some cable and rig up some kind of mechanism to anchor it to the bumpers.

Thoughts? Am I on the right track or are there much better/simpler solutions?

Thanks for any/all advice!
Sponsored

RJames

Base
First Name
Raymond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco on order, 4x4 HD 2500 Dodge Ram , Jeep JKU
Your Bronco Model
Base
Any places nearby to park it and just take a taxi or a shuttle to get to the Bronco not as convenient for sure . But perhaps in the worst weather periods. Some kind of self storage unit ?

I used to travel a bit and could get a spot in a covered hotel garage then have the hotel shuttle take me to the airport and back. The shuttle driver was a friend, I never paid to park and never staid at hotel. Sweet for me.

They sell car covers . I would use one of those and a couple moving quilts to cover hood . A board or a foam board would work better but I don't know how you get something big enough to cover yet small enough to fit in the back when driving.

iamchewby

Badlands
First Name
Chewby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Would it be possible to leave the Bronco in the garage at home and catch an uber/taxi to the airport?

Kind of a bummer that the airport doesn't have covered parking for the pilots.

OP
OP
Maximus3311

Maximus3311

Badlands
First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Any places nearby to park it and just take a taxi or a shuttle to get to the Bronco not as convenient for sure . But perhaps in the worst weather periods. Some kind of self storage unit ?

I used to travel a bit and could get a spot in a covered hotel garage then have the hotel shuttle take me to the airport and back. The shuttle driver was a friend, I never paid to park and never staid at hotel. Sweet for me.

They sell car covers . I would use one of those and a couple moving quilts to cover hood . A board or a foam board would work better but I don't know how you get something big enough to cover yet small enough to fit in the back when driving.
Quilt might not be a bad idea but I figure the impact from a decent sized hailstone would probably go right through it. Some kind of styrofoam (or even a couple layers of cardboard) might work under a cover.

I’m planning on buying limb risers anyway so I figure if there’s a padded bronco cover that *might* work.
Hotel garage might be an option but I already pay for parking at the airport - and having to park at a hotel then go to the airport would add a good amount of time (and a potential delay) into my commute.
Not a bad idea though for the summer months…might have to look into it.

or I guess I could just pressgang my wife into driving me

OP
OP
Maximus3311

Maximus3311

Badlands
First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Would it be possible to leave the Bronco in the garage at home and catch an uber/taxi to the airport?

Kind of a bummer that the airport doesn't have covered parking for the pilots.
if I’m leaving the bronco at home I’ll have to have my wife drive me. An Uber to/from the airport is pretty expensive.
Yeah it’s too bad we don’t get covered parking but honestly the airport management doesn’t seem to care all that much. They provide a place to park and I suppose that’s all I can really ask for 🤷🏻‍♂️

Sponsored

JohnnyBronco

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
X4
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

The kind of hail a few years back that destroyed thousands of vehicles in North Denver area that shut down Colorado Mills outlet mall due to roof collapse and caused every car dealer along US 6 to install carports over their new vehicles won't be stopped by just a car cover on risers, but

A heavy canvas, padded cover would be better than a purely soft cotton or poly cover. It won't fold as small as other covers but would be your best bet.

Or rent a hanger spot at the private area, there must be someplace the corporate Lears, Gulfstream, and ranchers' Cessnas and choppers are stored.

Or is there a covered garage for premium parking at the airport? I don't recall seeing such, similar to what we have back in Cleveland. Double the fees, at least, but guaranteed protection unless building collapses

OP
OP
Maximus3311

Maximus3311

Badlands
First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Great suggestions - will look into it

OP
OP
Maximus3311

Maximus3311

Badlands
First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The kind of hail a few years back that destroyed thousands of vehicles in North Denver area that shut down Colorado Mills outlet mall due to roof collapse and caused every car dealer along US 6 to install carports over their new vehicles won't be stopped by just a car cover on risers, but

A heavy canvas, padded cover would be better than a purely soft cotton or poly cover. It won't fold as small as other covers but would be your best bet.

Or rent a hanger spot at the private area, there must be someplace the corporate Lears, Gulfstream, and ranchers' Cessnas and choppers are stored.

Or is there a covered garage for premium parking at the airport? I don't recall seeing such, similar to what we have back in Cleveland. Double the fees, at least, but guaranteed protection unless building collapses
Unfortunately no General Aviation at Denver International.

A person on Facebook recommended a place that charges @$100/month - covered parking and shuttles to/from the airport.

I’m already paying $36/month for employee parking…but the covered parking at the airport is pushing (around) $30/day so $100 a month doesn’t seem like such a bad deal for covered parking.

FJ 432

Badlands
First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Max,

As someone who has lived in Denver 50 years I can only say that it's in God's hands parking outside.

BuckYeah

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
N/A
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
How about draping a bullet-proof kevlar blanket over the hood and anchor it to the trail sight guides? That would offer only partial protection. You'd have to extend it up over the windshield and I don't know if it could be anchored to something up there. Do you have a roof rack? Also, is the hail threat year-round or season-specific? Further, are blankets made of Kevlar available in the size you would need? Also, having a blanket on the hood for days may have an adverse effect on the paint finish. Anything that helps absorb the energy of the impact of the hail would help. Just spitballing here. Hope it helps.

Sponsored

tjnoffy

Outer Banks
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Bronco OBX Sas, '05 Mustang GT Conv, 2 Harleys
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Hey everyone happy New Year!

I wanted to solicit some advice and see if I'm on the right track...

For a tiny bit of background: I live in the Denver area and hail is a real issue here. Additionally, I'm an airline pilot so my Bronco is going to be parked uncovered at the airport for 4-6 days at a time. Obviously not an ideal situation.

I'm not *really* worried about the hard top (I figure plastic will at least be able to withstand a bit of hail) but I'm really worried about the hood.

So here's what I'm thinking: Limb risers (I have a BadSquatch on order so will just but the roof rack aftermarket) and then some kind of good/padded car cover (any suggestions for covers - appreciated). Then I'm going to have a cut a hole in the cover so the parking folks can see my parking tag hung on my rearview mirror.

I'm hoping by throwing the cover over limb risers that'll create enough of a barrier that the hood should be mostly protected from hail.

I guess if the cover won't fit perfectly I can always add some cable and rig up some kind of mechanism to anchor it to the bumpers.

Thoughts? Am I on the right track or are there much better/simpler solutions?

Thanks for any/all advice!
Yeah, that's a tough spot to be in. I'd frankly take a less important car to leave at the airport, and not just because of hail. Even basic Denver winter weather for 4-6 days would be enough for me to leave it at home. But maybe that's not an option for you.

There are "anti-hail" car covers out there, although that market may not have caught up to the Bronco. But Google it and look around. This one requires an air pump to be running, so probably not practical for your needs.

Ford Bronco Hail Damage mitigation strategies? Screen-Shot-2019-07-25-at-4.05.13-PM

Also some creative solutions out there. Do you have a pool, per chance? 😛

Ford Bronco Hail Damage mitigation strategies? 2744dd87-5da0-4095-8c52-d28bdfbbf451_750x422

Ford Bronco Hail Damage mitigation strategies? 926c898b5d1f78f0d92a29b62f5007cf

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1970 Firebird, 2008 Highlander
Your Bronco Model
Base
Piece of pink insulation foam under the cover would do nicely. Maybe a layer of cardboard glued to the top.

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1970 Firebird, 2008 Highlander
Your Bronco Model
Base
How about draping a bullet-proof kevlar blanket over the hood and anchor it to the trail sight guides? That would offer only partial protection. You'd have to extend it up over the windshield and I don't know if it could be anchored to something up there. Do you have a roof rack? Also, is the hail threat year-round or season-specific? Further, are blankets made of Kevlar available in the size you would need? Also, having a blanket on the hood for days may have an adverse effect on the paint finish. Anything that helps absorb the energy of the impact of the hail would help. Just spitballing here. Hope it helps.
Kevlar is super overkill for hails. Just a water repellant tarp over some sort of padding will suffice.

Jabberwock

Big Bend
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Having just had some major hail damage to my Bronco a few months ago, I definitely understand your concern. 95% of the damage to mine was on the hood. There were a couple very minor dents to the doors and front fender on one side only. Fiberglass roof had zero damage and I had ping pong ball sized hail.
I've been thinking about how I can protect mine in the future as well due to my parking situation at work and what seems like a higher risk of hail as time goes on.
There are companies that make what looks like a blanket of some sort that goes over your hood and possibly the roof. I've also been considering a possible DIY solution. I do like the idea of using the limb risers. If you could attach it to a roof rack then you'd also protect the small strip of body above the windshield, as I did have a couple small dents there as well. Something made of like 1500 denier cordura nylon would work and I don't think hail would get through it. You could also double it up for extra protection. A layer of UV resistant material (sunbrella type fabric) over the cordura would def improve its strength that could otherwise be compromised by prolonged exposure to sunlight.
I will report back to the thread if I come up with something and I'll be interested to see if you do as well.
Sponsored