First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
...and thank you for the amazing graphics.....very helpful.
Sponsored

OP
OP
LA Pick

LA Pick

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands, Mustang, Explorer, S2000, Cobra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Thank you very much!! I will give that a go. It seems easier to mount with the molding removed than trying to slip the radio body up from underneath and properly secure it. Did you have to create a metal bracket or just drill into that existing metal plate? I saw a GMRS install on a separate thread where he bridged some existing screws with a metal plate. That spot is in the upper left void under the steering wheel and pedals.
I looped some metal strap over the top of the column. I made a bracket for the radio then secured the bracket to the strap. Zero drilling, but that's not the only way.

OP
OP
LA Pick

LA Pick

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
...and thank you for the amazing graphics.....very helpful.
Thanks to the guy that annonimously posted a link to a zip file of the entire service manual! (you can search for it in this forum)

C1 Ret

Wildtrak
First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Thank you very much!! I will give that a go. It seems easier to mount with the molding removed than trying to slip the radio body up from underneath and properly secure it. Did you have to create a metal bracket or just drill into that existing metal plate? I saw a GMRS install on a separate thread where he bridged some existing screws with a metal plate. That spot is in the upper left void under the steering wheel and pedals.
I tapped two holes in the metal plate and used metal cabinet L brackets from Home Depot to secure it. Put the L brackets on the radio, position it in the space to make sure you have some room, than mark and tap your holes.

The lip on the plate kinda gets in the way of putting the SD card in and out of the radio body, but the lips also creates a nice air space under the radio.

SPITmadFIRE

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Love your install! Looks super clean.

I'm wondering about the wire routing for how you setup the head unit and speaker below:
Looks like you ran the cables along the bottom of the windshield, over to the a-pillar and went down from there towards the door trim -- is that correct?

Sponsored
OP
OP
LA Pick

LA Pick

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Love your install! Looks super clean.

I'm wondering about the wire routing for how you setup the head unit and speaker below:

Looks like you ran the cables along the bottom of the windshield, over to the a-pillar and went down from there towards the door trim -- is that correct?
Thanks! Yes, along the base of the windshield (simply push it under the foam that fills the gap to the dashboard). I couldn't find a passage from there to under the dash, so just ran it around the base of the A pillar. From there I removed the handle and side trim and that gives access under the dash.

When my windshield was replaced (the 1st of 2...) I was able to evaluate the cable run, and I saw nothing that suggested a better way.
Ford Bronco Ham Radio Install with DIY Mount IMG_9025.JPG

Last edited:

Sea Monkey

Black Diamond
First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon JLU, Roush 2 Mustang, Triumph T-Bird
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Very nice rig, and thanks for sharing. Particularly nice work on the grounding straps. Agreed, I originally wanted to use one of the aux switches to power the Yaesu but, like you said, they are bundled pretty tightly. And since I plan on mounting other powered accessories I was afraid they might start talking to each other. (Yes, powering directly off the battery is overkill, but I've ridden enough BMW motorcycles to appreciate the peace of mind that over-engineering can bring.) Going to try the BulletPoint rail/mount system for the Yaesu's head, but I do like your picatinny solution. Thanks again for sharing your detailed setup.

ND1C

Outer Banks
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2dr Outerbanks Sasquatch & 2024 Everglades
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Here's my Ham radio installlation. Antenna and mount are both Larson NMO type. Mount is DIY from scrap stainless. Structure under the accessory mount is grounded to the chassis under the hood with the braided copper, and both sides of the hood are bonded to the chassis with two more copper braids.

Power is directly to the battery, through the available grommet above the main harness. Tests out with zero noise - contact said it was as quiet as a base station.

Control mounted to the dash accesory rail (also DIY) and the base unit under the steering column.

Mic panel mount extension in that pop-out panel above the console.

Antenna SWR trace is nearly perfect.

Love the Install 73 ND1C

OP
OP
LA Pick

LA Pick

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Very nice rig, and thanks for sharing. Particularly nice work on the grounding straps. Agreed, I originally wanted to use one of the aux switches to power the Yaesu but, like you said, they are bundled pretty tightly. And since I plan on mounting other powered accessories I was afraid they might start talking to each other. (Yes, powering directly off the battery is overkill, but I've ridden enough BMW motorcycles to appreciate the peace of mind that over-engineering can bring.) Going to try the BulletPoint rail/mount system for the Yaesu's head, but I do like your picatinny solution. Thanks again for sharing your detailed setup.
Thanks!

BeerRunner

Badlands
First Name
LUKE
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Thanks! Yes, along the base of the windshield (simply push it under the foam that fills the gap to the dashboard). I couldn't find a passage from there to under the dash, so just ran it around the base of the A pillar. From there I removed the handle and side trim and that gives access under the dash.

When my windshield was replaced (the 1st of 2...) I was able to evaluate the cable run, and I saw nothing that suggested a better way.
IMG_9025.JPG

just a thought, but I think you can route your cables through here if you don’t mind cutting a notch for pass through in this little trim that would be hidden by your accessory rail

Ford Bronco Ham Radio Install with DIY Mount IMG_5575
Ford Bronco Ham Radio Install with DIY Mount IMG_5569

Sponsored

Dr. Squatch

Wildtrak
First Name
Rosemarie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Bronco, 2019 Mustang GT PPL2
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Hey, Dennis. No issues in ~7 months. No tools required - it just pivots down once the clips disengage. The clips are loud, but once you've done it once, it's trivial. In this pic from the service manual, all those purple spots on the back are the clips. I grab just to the left of the column and pull sharply toward the seat (not so much pulling down).

Ford Bronco Ham Radio Install with DIY Mount IMG_5569
I know I am late to this but we just got our Bronco. How much steering wheel up/down adjustment range is lost? I normally have it full up but my bride typically has it lowered as far as it will go. Thank you for your time.

OP
OP
LA Pick

LA Pick

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I know I am late to this but we just got our Bronco. How much steering wheel up/down adjustment range is lost? I normally have it full up but my bride typically has it lowered as far as it will go. Thank you for your time.
Zero change. The close edge is behind that rubber strip and the panel falls away from the radio from there, leaving plenty of room.