First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands, Mustang, Explorer, S2000, Cobra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Here's my Ham radio installlation. Antenna and mount are both Larson NMO type. Mount is DIY from scrap stainless. Structure under the accessory mount is grounded to the chassis under the hood with the braided copper, and both sides of the hood are bonded to the chassis with two more copper braids.

Ford Bronco Ham Radio Install with DIY Mount IMG_8451.JPG
Ford Bronco Ham Radio Install with DIY Mount IMG_8456.JPG

Power is directly to the battery, through the available grommet above the main harness. Tests out with zero noise - contact said it was as quiet as a base station.

Ford Bronco Ham Radio Install with DIY Mount IMG_8454.JPG
Ford Bronco Ham Radio Install with DIY Mount IMG_8455.JPG

Control mounted to the dash accesory rail (also DIY) and the base unit under the steering column.

Ford Bronco Ham Radio Install with DIY Mount IMG_8452.JPG
Ford Bronco Ham Radio Install with DIY Mount IMG_8453.JPG

Mic panel mount extension in that pop-out panel above the console.

Ford Bronco Ham Radio Install with DIY Mount IMG_8465.JPG

Antenna SWR trace is nearly perfect.

Ford Bronco Ham Radio Install with DIY Mount IMG_8464.JPG
Sponsored

Happy

Black Diamond
First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CJ5, Wagoneer
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Bonding strap are a great idea!! Thanks for posting

Razorbak86

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, BMW R1150 GS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Here's my Ham radio installlation. Antenna and mount are both Larson NMO type. Mount is DIY from scrap stainless. Structure under the accessory mount is grounded to the chassis under the hood with the braided copper, and both sides of the hood are bonded to the chassis with two more copper braids.

IMG_8451.JPG
IMG_8456.JPG

Power is directly to the battery, through the available grommet above the main harness. Tests out with zero noise - contact said it was as quiet as a base station.

IMG_8454.JPG
IMG_8455.JPG

Control mounted to the dash accesory rail (also DIY) and the base unit under the steering column.

IMG_8452.JPG
IMG_8453.JPG

IMG_8465.JPG

IMG_8464.JPG
Beautiful install! Love your work. Congrats! 👏 😎

Sponsored

PAULWESTSKI

Badlands
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
00 F350 PSD, 05 Excursion PSD, VW-TDI
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

IMG_8451.JPG
IMG_8456.JPG

IMG_8454.JPG
IMG_8455.JPG

IMG_8452.JPG
IMG_8453.JPG

IMG_8465.JPG

IMG_8464.JPG

Where did you find the long Picatinny rail?

Last edited:
OP
OP
LA Pick

LA Pick

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

WheelMe

Badlands
First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Badlands Sasquatch 2.7L
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I have the same exact radio (ICOM IC-2730A), and have been planning to install it - this is very helpful. I have some questions, if you don't mind responding to:

How is the control unit attached to the dash rail, how is the cable routed to the main unit, and where did you get the dash rail?

Can you show how the RJ45 plug is installed in the pop-out console panel?

Why not use one of the AUX switches for power?

Thanks.

OP
OP
LA Pick

LA Pick

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have the same exact radio (ICOM IC-2730A), and have been planning to install it - this is very helpful. I have some questions, if you don't mind responding to:

How is the control unit attached to the dash rail, how is the cable routed to the main unit, and where did you get the dash rail?

Can you show how the RJ45 plug is installed in the pop-out console panel?

Why not use one of the AUX switches for power?

Thanks.
Hey, Patrick. The control unit is attached via an aluminum bracket I made from light sheet scrap I had laying around, just wide enough to cover the threaded inserts. I attached to the dash rail with a gunsight mount: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01H3XE18S I ground off the little alignment post. The control mount requires M2.6x5mm fasteners. No local store had those, so I had to mail order, if you have trouble, ping me.

The dash rail is described in post #7 above. The cables are pressed into the gap below the windshield to the driver A pilllar. Removed the handle and trim and routed the cable under the dash to the head end.

The RJ45 plug is this one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MY04R2N
That's the best picture I have. Make sure the hole is big enough - the tabs on the plug break easily if the hole is too small.

As I was preparing for this install, I read a ton about grounding, bonding, and interference. Every source (every) said to power it directly from the battery. Now, none had a new Bronco, so it's possible that one of the circuits has sufficient isolation to work well. I didn't try it. But wires in a bundle WILL couple to their neighbors to some degree. So I kept mine away from others as much as I could, and I went directly the the battery, + and -. Overkill? Maybe. But it works. Operationaly, the only difference is that I don't have to throw the aux switch before turning it on. The radio has a setting to automatically power down after a period of non-use, although I keep forgetting to set it. I just turn off the radio...

Good luck!

Sponsored

8cam

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Corvette
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Very nice install. My last ham radio went with my Land Cruiser and I'm planning on getting a remote unit like yours. Does anyone know if the aux switches have relays to the battery? If so, that would be a good solution because you'd have direct power.

WheelMe

Badlands
First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Badlands Sasquatch 2.7L
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Thanks very much for your detailed response, Mark @LA Pick .

I was using this radio in my 2019 Ranger, where I ran the power directly to the battery - I'll do that again with the Bronco since that firewall grommet is just screaming to be used.

Two additional questions:

Where to buy the picatinny mount for the 2730A's head unit?

Also, how did you route the antenna cable down under the hood - the photo you posted above doesn't show clearly. I recently installed a Rigid A-pillar Series 360 light, and couldn't find any way to route the cable into the engine compartment except through the big gap behind the hood (not too tidy-looking, imo).

Thanks again.

chtucker

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Just an fyi, those braided straps have proven to be noise makers/not ideal grounds. The industry as switched to fine multi strand wire, tinned preferably in an automotive environment.

What antenna analyzer? I love my Bird Sitehawk

VoltageDrop

Base
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23, 69 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Very nice install. My last ham radio went with my Land Cruiser and I'm planning on getting a remote unit like yours. Does anyone know if the aux switches have relays to the battery? If so, that would be a good solution because you'd have direct power.
Yes, they each have a relay.