Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F150 Lariat Fx4, 2012 BMW X3, 2011 Escape
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Your install job is right on target, so professional looking, almost factory!
Sponsored

BulldogBear

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Badlands, 2000 Mercedes-Benz G500
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Power is directly to the battery, through the available grommet above the main harness.
IMG_8454.JPG
About to run some power for my GMRS - before I poke around, where's this grommet located?

Sponsored

JakeC

Badlands
First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Website
michiganbroncos.club
Vehicle(s)
2022 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Great install! Very nice.

This article is deeper and wider than my personal knowledge and understanding go.
https://k0bg.com/bonding.html
This is *very* interesting. I have a Midland MTX-275 GMRS with a hood mounted antenna (Aux6 per). Whenever the parking break is *off*, the squelch no longer works. Makes me wonder if it’s a groundin-plane vs. a grounding issue.

OP
OP
LA Pick

LA Pick

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands, Mustang, Explorer, S2000, Cobra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
is that setup bothersome being in the field of view of driving?
I'm tall enough that the seat is all the way back, and I have to lean forward and peer around the A pillar to see the antenna.

OP
OP
LA Pick

LA Pick

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Just an fyi, those braided straps have proven to be noise makers/not ideal grounds. The industry as switched to fine multi strand wire, tinned preferably in an automotive environment.

What antenna analyzer? I love my Bird Sitehawk
Well, I'm not in the industry so I do what I can. So far, they must not be adding much noise, since my contacts report a perfectly clear signal. Certainly no noise on the receive side, even on fringe areas.

I'm using a NanoVNA. Just fine for my purposes.

OP
OP
LA Pick

LA Pick

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Why ground the hood?
This article is deeper and wider than my personal knowledge and understanding go.
https://k0bg.com/bonding.html
An excellent article. It's to create the best possible ground plane for any given body configuration. Since we don't have a metal roof, the hood and chassis floor are the ground plane, but Ford doesn't bond the hood to the chassis. Will it work without? Probably. There is a lot of metal below the antenna. But $10 and a half hour of work to get a good RF bond is worth it. Note that Ford bonds the appropriate panels on the F150 to make rooftop antennas work better.

Sponsored

WheelMe

Badlands
First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Badlands Sasquatch 2.7L
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

An excellent article. It's to create the best possible ground plane for any given body configuration. Since we don't have a metal roof, the hood and chassis floor are the ground plane, but Ford doesn't bond the hood to the chassis. Will it work without? Probably. There is a lot of metal below the antenna. But $10 and a half hour of work to get a good RF bond is worth it. Note that Ford bonds the appropriate panels on the F150 to make rooftop antennas work better.
Does the Larson antenna come with a base (that attaches below your bracket) and coax cable? I'd guess that a 10-ft. long coax would be plenty to go through the firewall and to the radio.

OP
OP
LA Pick

LA Pick

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Does the Larson antenna come with a base (that attaches below your bracket) and coax cable? I'd guess that a 10-ft. long coax would be plenty to go through the firewall and to the radio.
The larson antenna doesn't come with anything. I purchased an NMO base with coax
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00M255NL2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I liked this one because the PL259 was not soldered on - trimming the coax to my need was trivial. I doubt mine is 4 ft long...

I bought this stainless bracket for the NMO mount
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00LMHGW8O/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I fabricated the lower half of the bracket from scrap stainless. Never mix metal types...

C1 Ret

Wildtrak
First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I have an ICOM 5100 that I removed from my truck when I sold it. I want to install it in my 2022 Wildtrak. How did you remove the molding under the steering wheel? Does it pop off with regular trim tools? That looks like the perfect spot so I can still access the SD card easily. Any issues with that location that you ran into?

Thanks, Dennis

OP
OP
LA Pick

LA Pick

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have an ICOM 5100 that I removed from my truck when I sold it. I want to install it in my 2022 Wildtrak. How did you remove the molding under the steering wheel? Does it pop off with regular trim tools? That looks like the perfect spot so I can still access the SD card easily. Any issues with that location that you ran into?

Thanks, Dennis
Hey, Dennis. No issues in ~7 months. No tools required - it just pivots down once the clips disengage. The clips are loud, but once you've done it once, it's trivial. In this pic from the service manual, all those purple spots on the back are the clips. I grab just to the left of the column and pull sharply toward the seat (not so much pulling down).

Ford Bronco Ham Radio Install with DIY Mount 1673306788975

C1 Ret

Wildtrak
First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Thank you very much!! I will give that a go. It seems easier to mount with the molding removed than trying to slip the radio body up from underneath and properly secure it. Did you have to create a metal bracket or just drill into that existing metal plate? I saw a GMRS install on a separate thread where he bridged some existing screws with a metal plate. That spot is in the upper left void under the steering wheel and pedals.
Sponsored