Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep XJ, BMW Z4, Mini Clubman JCW
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Don't see what you want...Fab it up!

I started this last fall and finally got to welding the pieces together and drilling holes this past weekend. 1/8"plate with 3/8" legs. It fits up nicely with the tire carrier and although I only used 4 of those 8 holes in the center, I drilled them anyway for flexibility. I'm going to use a press-fit fastener in the Hammerbuilt plate that has female threads and is low profile to not damage the tailgate underneath. Here's how far I got before the rain came. Other plans are using some rubber isolators between the metal to limit paint/metal wear when the compressor runs.

I've got a box with 2x ARB couplers that will be mounted in the front bumper and on the tire carrier for air access front and back. That'll make airing up tires and my wife's SUP super easy. The SUP was kind of the driving factor for this mod, that and My Viair portable doesn't fit on the Sasquatch wheels to air up.

I'm also going to use the Expedition Essentials ARB Extension harness to run power. It was all buttoned up and loomed for not much more than making my own. I might have to trim a few things up but it's a pretty sweet kit. It's meant for running electrical to a Tacoma truck bed so there might be some extra length that needs to be dealt with.

For now, it'll have to wait until next weekend.

Ford Bronco Hammerbuilt brace AND ARB twin install in the tire carrier - custom fabricated BFA6894D-6496-40ED-92C1-67A3A8396307
Ford Bronco Hammerbuilt brace AND ARB twin install in the tire carrier - custom fabricated D6F328AE-374A-40CA-BCFE-CF92187644FD
Ford Bronco Hammerbuilt brace AND ARB twin install in the tire carrier - custom fabricated D6C15A11-6CE8-4673-AF22-6AD255C36B02
Ford Bronco Hammerbuilt brace AND ARB twin install in the tire carrier - custom fabricated 35F7456D-010A-4FE1-89B0-A041F2B7E12E
Sponsored

Last edited:

Jo8n

Badlands
First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ Cruiser [sold]
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
OP
OP

JohnnyBoots

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Jo8n

Badlands
First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ Cruiser [sold]
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I saw the ags mount and just watched the video. I thought I was being crafty finding that harness! I thought it was odd last year they showed their Mount and seemed to Dodge wiring issues. I’ll have to finish the video later today
Yeah. I pre-ordered the AGS and didn't realize there were so many wires on the ARB compressor since I only just ordered that. I don't have lockers so I'll probably extend only the 2 hots and 2 grounds and wire the purple switch wire to the passenger rear aux wire and tie that to an aux switch under the hood.

OP
OP

JohnnyBoots

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'll report back on the wiring this weekend, weather permitting I was going to tackle that Sunday. I'm also not running this back to an Aux switch but going to use the ARB switch (part of all those wires!) mounted on the tailgate. My wife wants to use the compressor to air up her SUP at the lake and it's just easier to control from the back. Plus it opens up a switch for more stuff.

Sponsored

Jo8n

Badlands
First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ Cruiser [sold]
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I'll report back on the wiring this weekend, weather permitting I was going to tackle that Sunday. I'm also not running this back to an Aux switch but going to use the ARB switch (part of all those wires!) mounted on the tailgate. My wife wants to use the compressor to air up her SUP at the lake and it's just easier to control from the back. Plus it opens up a switch for more stuff.
I went back and forth on this. I figured, while I was running a bundle, I'd just go ahead and wire it up to the aux (and didn't use the aux wires to glove box nor rear quarter panel). I also, thought it was good that that required the vehicle running.

Do you think the Bronco's battery can handle running the ARB for that long when not on? Was also wondering if the additional voltage of the running system (15V?) might be taken advantage of by the ARB since it can handle 24V though I take it the wiring's normally different so maybe they just pipe 12V to each compressor now that I think about the fact that it has two separate power wires...

OP
OP

JohnnyBoots

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I went back and forth on this. I figured, while I was running a bundle, I'd just go ahead and wire it up to the aux (and didn't use the aux wires to glove box nor rear quarter panel). I also, thought it was good that that required the vehicle running.

Do you think the Bronco's battery can handle running the ARB for that long when not on? Was also wondering if the additional voltage of the running system (15V?) might be taken advantage of by the ARB since it can handle 24V though I take it the wiring's normally different so maybe they just pipe 12V to each compressor now that I think about the fact that it has two separate power wires...
ooooh man, saw your install pics. Congrats on getting that banged out. I did not get to my wiring. My wife took the Bronco yesterday and that was the only good day of weather we had.

I don't think I'd run the compressor without the engine running, it's too much of a draw amperage wise. I'd actually prefer ours to be run off a dual battery but thats not in the card right now.

Jo8n

Badlands
First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ Cruiser [sold]
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
ooooh man, saw your install pics. Congrats on getting that banged out. I did not get to my wiring. My wife took the Bronco yesterday and that was the only good day of weather we had.

I don't think I'd run the compressor without the engine running, it's too much of a draw amperage wise. I'd actually prefer ours to be run off a dual battery but thats not in the card right now.
Thanks.

That answers my next question about where you were at with this. It's tough getting a chance to work on them when everyone wants to drive it especially with the weather and all. My wife was out of town so I was pushing to get everything done.

I look forward to your next installment!

Ryan at ARB

Outer Banks
Squatch Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
arbusa.com
Vehicle(s)
Jeep LJ, Ford Ranger, Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks

The vehicle must be on when using our compressor. It'll drain the battery in minutes if it's not.

Jo8n

Badlands
First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ Cruiser [sold]
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The vehicle must be on when using our compressor. It'll drain the battery in minutes if it's not.
Ok. That's what I figured. Thanks for the response!

Sponsored
OP
OP

JohnnyBoots

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Got all the wiring done aft of the drivers seat. It was getting dark and more rain was coming but overall everything went well. Only broke 2 clips for the interior panels and most everything came off fairly easy. On the plus side I was able to vacuum out all the sand and dirt (and dog puke) that's accumulated under the panels. Seeing all of it, I would never hose the interior out. Hell the rear cargo floor had a decent amount of moisture under it from driving in the rain with no rear curtains on.

A couple of notes; Expedition Essentials harness might be about a 1' short. Will see tomorrow. In hindsight I think I'd rather use bare wire. It'd be easier to conform and tie down and the wire loom running along the doors is pretty light on extra space.

Ford Bronco Hammerbuilt brace AND ARB twin install in the tire carrier - custom fabricated 64038488-70CA-430F-975A-14F8006A0622

Ford Bronco Hammerbuilt brace AND ARB twin install in the tire carrier - custom fabricated F740E5E5-BA37-4097-BE4A-7EE061D811E7

Ford Bronco Hammerbuilt brace AND ARB twin install in the tire carrier - custom fabricated F6FEFA54-FE8F-4D58-8C09-E5E86639355B

Last edited:
OP
OP

JohnnyBoots

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Ford Bronco Hammerbuilt brace AND ARB twin install in the tire carrier - custom fabricated 38773655-5E01-4571-81B7-8312FDD2BF8D

So... lots of progress. All the wiring is complete using the Expedition Essentials Harness ( I would either make my own next time or have ExEss modify it). While I had the interior torn apart I ran 2 systems; one for the ARB harness and another 4awg for a dual battery set-up (coming later). Here are the details/tips I found.

Driver side Routing: I ran the 4awg for the dual battery set-up here. Access to the firewall and grommet is easy and you'll have plenty of room. I figured while I had it apart just add the cable for the dual battery. I almost gave up on the ExEss harness and just used the 4awg but I already had it routed so...

Passenger Side Routing: Really tight spaces behind the glove box and in the engine bay make this less than ideal. I went this way thinking the ExEss harness would be long enough...it wasn't BUT it terminated right at the glove box so it was perfect to disassemble the connection and extend 30". The 30" of extension makes the connection point to the ARB harness right in the middle of the engine bay so you have enough room to conform to the existing wire management by Ford.

For passing through the firewall, remove the coolant expansion tank. I cut a square size hole. BE CAREFUL!!! There is nothing protecting the factory wiring harness. After feeding my cables through I filled the gap with some clear silicon.

Next Steps: I've got a final bit of fab work on the Hammerbuilt brace to accept the bracket I fabbed up. So the brace will need to come off again. I also need to reinstall the JCR Table. Hoping there is no hang-ups with the wiring harness out back.

While I have this apart, on the passenger side I'm adding a Blue Sea Dual Buss for power out back (cargo lights, inverter, etc.). I'm tucking that and a Victron inverter back there. So the passenger side panel will have a 12v (from ford), USB outlet, 120v outlet and the switches to control the compressor, inverter and cargo lights. On the driver side panel I'm adding a 12v outlet to plug the fridge into.

More to come shortly!

Last edited:

jsmilanic

Badlands
First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Hey Johnny! How did this set up end up working for you? It looks like I may need to install and inverter for my Bronco.

OP
OP

JohnnyBoots

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Works great, I need to update the rest of the install as it's fully finished.

I used it this weekend at Dolly Sods doing some backpacking and had a dometic fridge running off it to keep my beer and gross bbq I grabbed at some roadside shack.
Sponsored