Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'73 Bronco (sold), '99 Ram, '08 Explorer, '16 CMax
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I know a couple folks here are handicapped. I'm struggling with choosing the right model for me. I originally wanted the BL, but that might be too high for me to get into. I also need to figure out where to store my walker and or scooter. My CMax has perfect storage space.. I've been hell-bent on a 2 door, but it may not have enough room. I'm looking at BD. It's a little lower than BL, but is it low enough? OBX has a step, but I'm not sure I could use it. My legs are shot... This would suck if I end up with a Sport.

What are you folks getting?
Sponsored

Aman

Badlands
First Name
Aman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 M3, 2008 Armada, and 2022 Badlands ManSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I know a couple folks here are handicapped. I'm struggling with choosing the right model for me. I originally wanted the BL, but that might be too high for me to get into. I also need to figure out where to store my walker and or scooter. My CMax has perfect storage space.. I've been hell-bent on a 2 door, but it may not have enough room. I'm looking at BD. It's a little lower than BL, but is it low enough? OBX has a step, but I'm not sure I could use it. My legs are shot... This would suck if I end up with a Sport.

What are you folks getting?
I'm getting a badlands, but as you stated, it may be too high for you.

In your case, I think you need to figure out what amenities you want. I believe you can only go as high as the Mid package on the BD, so that may not appeal to you. The OBX model I saw looked great! The body colored door handles and fender flares really pull the entire vehicle together and give it a higher-end finished look. I would be very happy with the OBX.

OP
OP
MrJoe

MrJoe

Black Diamond
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I'm getting a badlands, but as you stated, it may be too high for you.

In your case, I think you need to figure out what amenities you want. I believe you can only go as high as the Mid package on the BD, so that may not appeal to you. The OBX model I saw looked great! The body colored door handles and fender flares really pull the entire vehicle together and gives it a higher-end finished look. I would be very happy with the OBX.
How much lower did the OBX seem compared to BL?

OP
OP
MrJoe

MrJoe

Black Diamond
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

The 2-door has a longer door than the 4-door, it may make it easier to get in but I'm just guessing.
Yes, that's a plus for the 2 door.

Sponsored

Headsong

Black Diamond
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Black Diamond non squatch 4 door softtop v6
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

First off, sorry for your troubles. I think you're only solution is going to be a wait until you can at least see the mannequins as they're calling them. You'll have to check with your dealer to see if and when they'll have them. Mine said November but I'm not believing that anymore. I think only then will you be able to have some idea of what you can handle.

DeMag1969

Outer Banks
First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Ecoboost Convertible Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I'm in the same boat and have been going back and forth on what to get. There is a picture of the OBX with running boards. Step up to the boards are about 16 inches off the ground. If you can navigate that then you could do any of the lower trims (BB, BD or OBX). If you were going BL, WT or going sasquatch, then I would get some sort of power step. the step in height of a sasquatch is 27 inches from a few pictures I have seen. I most likely will start with the base and keep the 16 inch steel wheels and see how that works. Ground clearance is 8.4, which is the same as a Rav4. I can always add bigger tires, wheels and a power step later. I don't really need the off road stuff since this will be my daily and will only be driven on paved roads.

OP
OP
MrJoe

MrJoe

Black Diamond
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

First off, sorry for your troubles. I think you're only solution is going to be a wait until you can at least see the mannequins as they're calling them. You'll have to check with your dealer to see if and when they'll have them. Mine said November but I'm not believing that anymore. I think only then will you be able to have some idea of what you can handle.
That's the logical solution. The B&P being up drives me crazy...lol

Aman

Badlands
First Name
Aman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 M3, 2008 Armada, and 2022 Badlands ManSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

How much lower did the OBX seem compared to BL?
Probably an inch or two, but I'm just spitballing. I posted the tire diameters below, but you have to take into consideration that the BL has a lift that is ~1.5"

Black Diamond
265/70R17
Diameter : 31.6"

Outer Banks
255/70R18
Diameter : 32.1"

Badlands
285/70R17
Diameter : 32.7"

OP
OP
MrJoe

MrJoe

Black Diamond
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

From measurements gathered, the BL seat height is 35-36" I know I can do 33", maybe 34". That's why I'm leaning BD... It'll be close.

Sponsored

Atomicdog

Base
First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I'm in the same boat and have been going back and forth on what to get. There is a picture of the OBX with running boards. Step up to the boards are about 16 inches off the ground. If you can navigate that then you could do any of the lower trims (BB, BD or OBX). If you were going BL, WT or going sasquatch, then I would get some sort of power step. the step in height of a sasquatch is 27 inches from a few pictures I have seen. I most likely will start with the base and keep the 16 inch steel wheels and see how that works. Ground clearance is 8.4, which is the same as a Rav4. I can always add bigger tires, wheels and a power step later. I don't really need the off road stuff since this will be my daily and will only be driven on paved roads.
Even though the ground clearance is the same the step-in height could be very different. The RAV4 is unibody construction the Bronco is body on frame.

Stitches1974

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Dodge Challenger Scat Pack
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Knees are shot, back is shot and a bunch of other service connected disabilities, but I only require a cane, for now. I had no issues getting into my Willys with 32" tires and I'll be going with a BD.

OP
OP
MrJoe

MrJoe

Black Diamond
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Knees are shot, back is shot and a bunch of other service connected disabilities, but I only require a cane, for now. I had no issues getting into my Willys with 32" tires and I'll be going with a BD.
How does your Willys compare to BD in seat height?

Stitches1974

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Dodge Challenger Scat Pack
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
How does your Willys compare to BD in seat height?
Not 100% sure, but this is with stock 32" tires and 8.8 inches of ground clearance. Needless to say I didn't have to climb up into it. I just slid right into the seat, with me being 5'9.

9MyKiDG.jpg

OP
OP
MrJoe

MrJoe

Black Diamond
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Not 100% sure, but this is with stock 32" tires and 8.8 inches of ground clearance. Needless to say I didn't have to climb up into it. I just slid right into the seat, with me being 5'9.

Ford Bronco Handicapped? Which Model? 9MyKiDG
I was hoping you were going to say that. BD is supposedly close to Willys. Now I'm excited! Thanks a ton.
Sponsored