Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 F150, '20 F350 Powerstroke
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Most of them are, but not all, thankfully... There are even a bunch that won't keep a stable arc for shit... However, there are those rare few that work. You just don't want to be the person who has to learn the hard way. I will give you an example they aren't all shit, my Dual MIG 180 (#43026) which I purchased before 2000 for $299 and still works fine today (although I have upgraded a few things along the way).

35 amps 100% duty cycle *** 45 amps 100% duty cycle
60 amps 65% duty cycle *** 80 amps 48% duty cycle
100 amps 30% duty cycle *** 140 amps 18% duty cycle

Now, at 140 Amps, yes... it was under 20%, but I almost never used the 140 Amp setting because I wasn't welding 5/16" plate to 5/16" plate very frequently.... which it would do at 140 Amps. Mind you the Miller 175 (which was more than double the cost at the time) would only manage 25% duty cycle at 140 amps. So, yes, the Miller was "better", although it didn't have features the HF 180 did like a spot welding feature or reversible polarity. Also, the Miller 175 certainly wasn't $300 better, and the Miller 180 was $1200 at the time. Not everything Harbor Freight is junk - Just most of it! :D
I ran a Millermatic 185 for about 15 years then got the 211. I have had both shutdown and have to cool off but then again some stuff that I build isn't exactly hobby type stuff. I have built several trailers, a spray rig and a steel tornado shelter. I tend to tack them together and then start welding without stopping.

I looked at the Smittybilt Gen 3 and the manual makes no mention of duty cycle. I also see no mention of duty cycle for the Warns.

I did see some dealer post that he had four or five times of Smittybilts fail as compared to Warn.

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I ran a Millermatic 185 for about 15 years then got the 211. I have had both shutdown and have to cool off but then again some stuff that I build isn't exactly hobby type stuff. I have built several trailers, a spray rig and a steel tornado shelter. I tend to tack them together and then start welding without stopping.

I looked at the Smittybilt Gen 3 and the manual makes no mention of duty cycle. I also see no mention of duty cycle for the Warns.

I did see some dealer post that he had four or five times of Smittybilts fail as compared to Warn.
The 211 is a nice machine... My friend has a ton of really big millers (all water-cooled TIG) runs the piss out them welding aluminum intercoolers. I think the smallest one he owns is a syncrowave 250. Those have a crazy duty cycle.

If the HF Apex 12k synthetic doesn't work out, well lesson learned, but having researched it, it doesn't seem like a bad choice. It has more capacity by a far margin than I need for a 4500# vehicle. So I am not anticipating trouble when the pull is nearly 3x my vehicle weight.
Sponsored