Sponsored

Hard-top - 2nd row section storage - roof rack? Options?

mC.242

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Big Bend 4dr (sold)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
One of my biggest concerns with the hard-top is that to actually use the 2nd row removable panel you have to leave it at home.
What happens when you want to close up while out? What if the weather turns? What if the people in the back seat just get tired of it being open and want to have it back on?
The front panels store easily in the back, but the 2nd row panel does not.

I wonder if there will be some kind of accessory to store the 2nd row panel on the roof rack or something?

Any thoughts on this? What are the options for not being stuck somewhere without it?

This is another reason I'm considering the soft-top: you can go full up or down and everything in between and keep it all with you.

Edit - just to be clear, I know the factory roof rack won't let you take off the 2nd row. I am wondering about an aftermarket rack that would allow the 2nd row to come off and be stored up top.
Sponsored

Last edited:

LSU Jonno

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

One of my biggest concerns with the hard-top is that to actually use the 2nd row removable panel you have to leave it at home.
What happens when you want to close up while out? What if the weather turns? What if the people in the back seat just get tired of it being open and want to have it back on?
The front panels store easily in the back, but the 2nd row panel does not.

I wonder if there will be some kind of accessory to store the 2nd row panel on the roof rack or something?

Any thoughts on this? What are the options for not being stuck somewhere without it?

This is another reason I'm considering the soft-top: you can go full up or down and everything in between and keep it all with you.
I think I heard that you cannot take off the rear seat panel with the roof rack on. Only the front two panels...So storing the rear seat panel on the roof rack would be pointless.

pan-y-cerveza

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma Pro
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

So you you hope there is a rack on your roof to store your roof?

You either plan ahead or you need to run the risk of leaving it open.

You could probably stuff it in the back if you really wanted to.

Jpeyer

Badlands
First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 F250 Lariat
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I think I heard that you cannot take off the rear seat panel with the roof rack on. Only the front two panels...So storing the rear seat panel on the roof rack would be pointless.
That is correct. At least from what the reps said at CEL East. FWIW.

OP
OP
mC.242

mC.242

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Big Bend 4dr (sold)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I know - I wasn't talking about the factory roof rack. Was wondering about a rack that would allow this. TBH, the fact that you can't take it off with the factory rack at all is pretty stupid too and why I won't get it.

Sponsored

BroncBro

Wildtrak
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Tacoma 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

The mid panel on a 4 door is the biggest panel. It’s pretty big. There is nowhere on the Bronco to store it. The only possibility would be to store it on a rack on top of the rear cab but it’s going to protrude over the front and back because it’s bigger than the top of the rear cab.

jntaylor1701

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco II Eddie Bauer
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I am wondering how to over come this too. I wish Bestop would make a sunrider for hardtop that covered both the front and the middle. It does seem like there will be a short rack that covers just the read and maybe you could store the middle panel on it. You would need some type of storage bad and a STRONG way to attach it.

Ford Bronco Hard-top - 2nd row section storage - roof rack? Options? ford-bronco-roof-rack-holding-goods

ZackDanger

Badlands
First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I am wondering how to over come this too. I wish Bestop would make a sunrider for hardtop that covered both the front and the middle. It does seem like there will be a short rack that covers just the read and maybe you could store the middle panel on it. You would need some type of storage bad and a STRONG way to attach it.

Ford Bronco Hard-top - 2nd row section storage - roof rack? Options? ford-bronco-roof-rack-holding-goods
Just FYI. That short rack was a concept one-off and Ford stated they will *not* be offering it as an option. I suspect it's because the mounting points back there aren't robust enough to handle any sort of dynamic load... the normal rack bolts to the front windshield, but just kind of clamps onto the clamshell top.

(who knows if that will ever change)

jntaylor1701

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco II Eddie Bauer
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Just FYI. That short rack was a concept one-off and Ford stated they will *not* be offering it as an option. I suspect it's because the mounting points back there aren't robust enough to handle any sort of dynamic load... the normal rack bolts to the front windshield, but just kind of clamps onto the clamshell top.

(who knows if that will ever change)
Thanks for the call out on that short rack.

OP
OP
mC.242

mC.242

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Big Bend 4dr (sold)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I'm thinking the solution is to just get a mesh/bimini top to cover up while out if necessary.

Sponsored

MadMan4BamaNATL

Badlands
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco 2DR Badlands Sasquatch, 2021 RR Sport
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

There will never be any protection from a "change in weather" other than check the weather before leaving out for the day.

Beyond that, that's the fun of wheeling, the fact that you never now so it's an adventure.

Whichever roof rack anyone gets, they're all removable, but no way you'll be able to store a top on a rack unless it's some sort of unstructured soft top, but at this point we don't know how collapsable the soft tops are.

Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
As somebody who has only ever wanted Bronco in 2-door this may be a silly question (I haven't followed all the 4-door roof drama), but why couldn't you just put the 2nd row roof panels into the door storage bags and strap them down in the back where you would be strapping the doors down? They are smaller than the doors, right?

If that was possible, then you have your safe and secure storage, plus the ability to pull them out and put back on in inclement weather since you don't have the marine grade vinyl.

OP
OP
mC.242

mC.242

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Big Bend 4dr (sold)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
As somebody who has only ever wanted Bronco in 2-door this may be a silly question (I haven't followed all the 4-door roof drama), but why couldn't you just put the 2nd row roof panels into the door storage bags and strap them down in the back where you would be strapping the doors down? They are smaller than the doors, right?

If that was possible, then you have your safe and secure storage, plus the ability to pull them out and put back on in inclement weather since you don't have the marine grade vinyl.
The 2nd row is actually just one panel, and even larger than the two front row panels combined. I suppose I could probably fit it with one or both rear seat backs down, but the reason I am getting a 4dr in the first place is because it's likely to be full of people, dogs, and gear back there. I've essentially given up on this idea for now. I will either wait to see if someone makes a sunrider top for both the first and second rows, or just carry a brief soft top I can throw on in a pinch if necessary. Whatever the solution ends up being, top-off fun will be had!

Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
The 2nd row is actually just one panel, and even larger than the two front row panels combined. I suppose I could probably fit it with one or both rear seat backs down, but the reason I am getting a 4dr in the first place is because it's likely to be full of people, dogs, and gear back there. I've essentially given up on this idea for now. I will either wait to see if someone makes a sunrider top for both the first and second rows, or just carry a brief soft top I can throw on in a pinch if necessary. Whatever the solution ends up being, top-off fun will be had!
Thanks for filling me in. I assumed they were the size of the front panels or possibly the porthole from 2-door Mod top.

One can only guess what sorts of crazy weather you get down there in San Diego. ..... :unsure:

OP
OP
mC.242

mC.242

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Big Bend 4dr (sold)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Thanks for filling me in. I assumed they were the size of the front panels or possibly the porthole from 2-door Mod top.

One can only guess what sorts of crazy weather you get down there in San Diego. ..... :unsure:
It's pretty crazy - I actually had to put on a sweater last night with my shorts and flip-flops to walk my dogs :ROFLMAO:
Sponsored