Sponsored

Hard top question... put front panels on without the main rear?

ChrisB351

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 2dr Bronco, 2005 ZX6r, 1993 Mustang GT
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Im still waiting on my 2dr BD to ship and currently have a JKU Wrangler hardtop. I got rained on this weekend but I had the freedom panels (front panels) with me and was able to put them on to keep semi dry.

What I want to know is if the Bronco is capable of the same. Can you put just the front panels on without the main rear?
Sponsored

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
You probably could, but it wouldn't be suitable for anything over 30 MPH or any serious wind. I could see them potentially drooping in the back potentially as well. This would be an excellent opportunity for a simple aftermarket bar to facilitate that possibility though. In which case, It would work.

OP
OP
ChrisB351

ChrisB351

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

You probably could, but it wouldn't be suitable for anything over 30 MPH or any serious wind. I could see them potentially drooping in the back potentially as well. This would be an excellent opportunity for a simple aftermarket bar to facilitate that possibility though. In which case, It would work.
I was wondering since theres no cross bar on the cage like my Jeep has. The way its designed, theres a tab that flips down to support it on the frame and has 2 screw in pieces that come up thru it into the top panels.

Frappy608

Badlands
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Badlands Eruption Green
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm currently in process having a bracket fabricated that would secure the back of the front panels OR the mid panel (I have a 4 door). Will post when it is finished.

JoshuaPrieto

Big Bend
First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 2022 Explorer, 2022 F-150
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Im still waiting on my 2dr BD to ship and currently have a JKU Wrangler hardtop. I got rained on this weekend but I had the freedom panels (front panels) with me and was able to put them on to keep semi dry.

What I want to know is if the Bronco is capable of the same. Can you put just the front panels on without the main rear?
While you could latch in the front, you cannot latch the back - very unsafe.

Sponsored
OP
OP
ChrisB351

ChrisB351

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

While you could latch in the front, you cannot latch the back - very unsafe.
Thats what I was wanting to know is there was a way to secure them since theres no rear mounting point.

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

There’s a few accounts on Instagram saying they’ve run with the front panels only installed at highway speeds with no issues.

At least 1 also claims to be developing a crossbar to secure the panels.

zio

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cars
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
The panels installed without rear clamshell are solid. The middle section clamps down on the sides and the fronts add stability.

OP
OP
ChrisB351

ChrisB351

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

The panels installed without rear clamshell are solid. The middle section clamps down on the sides and the fronts add stability.

I have a 2dr coming so no mid panel

Sponsored

Mrjohndon

Big Bend
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I'm currently in process having a bracket fabricated that would secure the back of the front panels OR the mid panel (I have a 4 door). Will post when it is finished.
did you get this made?

OP
OP
ChrisB351

ChrisB351

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Since this post was revived Ive had my Bronco 10mo and over 15k miles. Ran it many times with just the front panels with no issues.

Mrjohndon

Big Bend
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I think the front is easy, even at high speeds. curious about the mid section though. like idea of a bracket, but not sure how.

81arctic

Badlands
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 MT 2.3 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
There’s a few accounts on Instagram saying they’ve run with the front panels only installed at highway speeds with no issues.

At least 1 also claims to be developing a crossbar to secure the panels.

I actually do this semi-regularly with no issue whatsoever. I leave the bolt on rear section in the garage from may-october and keep the 3 front panels with me in the bag jut incase I run into some rain. The flip latches in the front, 2 twist latches in the middle and a twist latch on the side/rear of each is PLENTy to keep them from flying off, and they are way too rigid to "droop" but I did start carrying a 12" section of pvc pipe that is the right diameter for the rear swivel latches to grab onto sometime last summer. Its just a little bit of added rigidity which keeps them from rattling while off road or and holds a good seal for more conventional driving. Pretty simple "mod" and really no issues at all on my second summer doing that with 30k total miles on the truck.

rblock50

Wildtrak
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW, Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I had all of my panels off, but it got sunny so I put just the front ones on without the mid or rear, and it worked just fine at all speeds. I didn't try the middle section, but I've seen other posts in here with folks doing it. They didn't seem to have problems. Would be good to be able to secure it to the "rollbar" just in case.
Sponsored