Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 f-150 FX4
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I'm going to be mounting a pittsburgh electric hoist from harbor freight under my carport. This should enable me to remove/install back shell by myself. I have few questions.
1) can you leave the factory roof rails attached (rear mounts of course) and use them to hook onto?
2) where is a good place to strap onto otherwise?
3) how many straps should I use? Was thinking 3 minimum to keep it level while lifting.(2 towards rear where all the glass is and1 dead center on the front.)
I'm really a newbie here and don't want to drop, twist or otherwise damage this mic top.
Sidenote: my wife helped me take it off last night and it was sketchy with her. She said never again.
Forgive me if this was covered. I couldn't find anything relevant in the search.
Sponsored

MayhemMike

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercury
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I used the same electric hoist. Two ten foot by two inch wide nylon straps. One two foot strap to connect all the ends of the ten foot straps. The two bungee cords keep the top from free spinning in the breeze. Takes a time or two to find a balance point. This is the top from a two door. Laying the straps flat allow the rear window to close.
Ford Bronco Hard top removal & hoist questions 87DFE248-A83B-4491-AFEF-54E5E78F47F8

FlyingScot

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wildtrak 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Topsy has free plans for a unistrut lift frame if you want to get crafty with it. Sized for the Jeep hardtop so you'd have to shorten it a bit, but I'd imagine it would work great for this application:
https://topsyproducts.com/collections/hoist-systems/products/diy

I'm (probably needlessly) concerned about introducing compressive loads into the hardtop and I don't have a ton of overhead room, so this kills two birds with one stone and will probably be my project next month.

OP
OP
Klink

Klink

Wildtrak
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 f-150 FX4
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

@MayhemMike how did you attach the straps to the top? Can't tell from the pic. Are they completely wrapped around underneath of it?

thatspecialbeat

Black Diamond
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subies
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Topsy has free plans for a unistrut lift frame if you want to get crafty with it. Sized for the Jeep hardtop so you'd have to shorten it a bit, but I'd imagine it would work great for this application:
https://topsyproducts.com/collections/hoist-systems/products/diy

I'm (probably needlessly) concerned about introducing compressive loads into the hardtop and I don't have a ton of overhead room, so this kills two birds with one stone and will probably be my project next month.
I was a bit worried about that. I am actually going to do a lift install this weekend and probably will just run the strap without a frame.

But I am going to set it down on a cart and not keep it stored on the lift.

Sponsored

MayhemMike

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercury
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

swami37

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1950 Ford F-1 and 2020 F150 FX4
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
2 inch x 12 foot straps
one 3/4 inch shackle

Ford Bronco Hard top removal & hoist questions CCCAE2B7-2F43-4555-913D-2B49CCDA4B6D

Ford Bronco Hard top removal & hoist questions 20E538AA-8A00-4410-8292-59AA13C53E75

Ford Bronco Hard top removal & hoist questions 19F0F33D-C9CF-4A5E-BAA9-3DC4D9624E23

OP
OP
Klink

Klink

Wildtrak
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 f-150 FX4
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I see. It will fit between the back glass and the top. I was thinking the other way and it would squeeze the sides in. You guys were a great help. Thanks!
Sponsored