Broncoskip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I once owned a Wrangler with a hard top. I spent a good bit of time trying to figure out how to get that top off and on with ease, for cheap. I figure now would be a good time to share the options I discovered with the Bronco fans.

A quick disclaimer, I would wait for Bronco specific versions of all of these to come out before purchasing.

Option 1: Ceiling hoist system

Now, this is pretty scary because if something goes wrong, BAM! $1000. I would stick with predesigned stuff. Harken makes a kit for the Wrangler that is about $200.
Ford Bronco Hard Top Storage Options 1611864906239

Harken Jeep Hardtop harness - Amazon

installing this on your ceiling, you will end up putting some wood up there to get good support. They just don't put beams where you need them.

To make things easier, you can add an electric winch to the harness. It's just you tie the rope to the winch instead of holding it by hand. This adds $200 and some wiring to your DIY project.

Ford Bronco Hard Top Storage Options 1611865182555

Electric ceiling Winch with remote - Amazon

Option 1 will take a lot more research than I have put into this post.

Option 2: Hardtop Jack lift

What I favored was the various jacks and carts you can build or buy. Basically you can build these out of wood but I am not that skilled. These are more expensive, with many over $500. $750 sample below:

Ford Bronco Hard Top Storage Options 1611863451250

https://www.rollnjack.com/

Also the Freedom Jack is $300 https://www.freedom-jack.com/shop

Or these look cool but that price! https://topliftpros.com/collections/shop-all

Once on the jack, you can move it around your garage. I don't know if it will be tall enough to park under it, making Option 1 a better plan for long term storage.

Option 3: Dolly Storage cart.

If have the room to store the top on the floor and have the manpower to get the top off manually, you can build a dolly to store your hard top on, keeping it off the ground and easily moved out of the way.
Ford Bronco Hard Top Storage Options 113426-115032

Source: https://www.jk-forum.com/how-tos/a/jeep-wrangler-jk-how-to-make-a-hard-top-cart-407361

Of course, they sell commercial versions of these online as well, with additional slots for doors.

Quadratec has a selection of carts for Jeep.

These are the three options I know of. Post what you find!

1611863858606.png
Sponsored

Last edited:

PartyMarty

Black Diamond
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Jeep Wrangler Black Bear, 2009 VW Rabbit
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I installed the hoist-a-top system for our 4dr wrangler jk and it works great. Just make sure to use a stud finder to to drill in the pieces of 2x6 with good 3.5ā€ screws into the ceiling and back wall. You donā€™t need the electric wench, just a drill with a 3/4ā€ socket you probably already have, instead of the hand crank. I found it for $200 2 years ago, but $250 and using a drill and socket you probably already have is the best bang for your buck.

https://langeoriginals.com/products/hoist-a-top-crank-jk-2-4-door-2007-up

My guess is that it will be compatible with the bronco top, unless the bronco top is significantly wider.

20Bronco21

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€™22 Badlands, ā€˜23 Balands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
How will you get this past the rear crossmember of the roll cage once you have the top lifted off the body?

B285E4CA-7A4D-43A4-93DE-36F080A512F1.png

Deadfish

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 F350, 2007 HD Road King, 2013 370Z
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I use the Hoist-a-Top as well, and works great. And don't need to buy the electric version, just take off the handle and use a drill with a 3/4" socket.
Ford Bronco Hard Top Storage Options hoist1

Ford Bronco Hard Top Storage Options hoist2 (2)

**EDIT** And just noticed my old Bronco t-shirt hanging on the left side of the top photo... just waiting for the new horse in the stable!

Sponsored

Mitten2Mountains

Badlands
Squatch Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 Veloster Turbo / '07 Heep JKU RubiCLONE
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

J_Meh_Cray_D

Badlands
First Name
Jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Silverado Crew Cab
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I once owned a Wrangler with a hard top. I spent a good bit of time trying to figure out how to get that top off and on with ease, for cheap. I figure now would be a good time to share the options I discovered with the Bronco fans.

A quick disclaimer, I would wait for Bronco specific versions of all of these to come out before purchasing.

Option 1: Ceiling hoist system

Now, this is pretty scary because if something goes wrong, BAM! $1000. I would stick with predesigned stuff. Harken makes a kit for the Wrangler that is about $200.

Harken Jeep Hardtop harness - Amazon

installing this on your ceiling, you will end up putting some wood up there to get good support. They just don't put beams where you need them.

To make things easier, you can add an electric winch to the harness. It's just you tie the rope to the winch instead of holding it by hand. This adds $200 and some wiring to your DIY project.

Electric ceiling Winch with remote - Amazon

Option 1 will take a lot more research than I have put into this post.

Option 2: Hardtop Jack lift

What I favored was the various jacks and carts you can build or buy. Basically you can build these out of wood but I am not that skilled. These are more expensive, with many over $500. $750 sample below:

https://www.rollnjack.com/

Also the Freedom Jack is $300 https://www.freedom-jack.com/shop

Or these look cool but that price! https://topliftpros.com/collections/shop-all

Once on the jack, you can move it around your garage. I don't know if it will be tall enough to park under it, making Option 1 a better plan for long term storage.

Option 3: Dolly Storage cart.

If have the room to store the top on the floor and have the manpower to get the top off manually, you can build a dolly to store your hard top on, keeping it off the ground and easily moved out of the way.

Source: https://www.jk-forum.com/how-tos/a/jeep-wrangler-jk-how-to-make-a-hard-top-cart-407361

Of course, they sell commercial versions of these online as well, with additional slots for doors.

Quadratec has a selection of carts for Jeep.

These are the three options I know of. Post what you find!

Freedom Jack... often referred to as a Combat Jack... means something a little different to me. But Iā€™m a degenerate.

papsblue

Badlands
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
This will be a lot more interesting for me living in an apartment. Luckily I have a small storage unit directly adjacent to my assigned parking spot in the garage.

If that jack lift works with the rear cross member being further back it will likely be my best bet.

BroncoBoy22

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'11 Mustang GT 5.0
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Think Iā€™m gonna wait for the topliftpro version for the bronco. Expensive as crap but by far the easiest and fool proof method

BD1

Badlands
First Name
BD1
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Think Iā€™m gonna wait for the topliftpro version for the bronco. Expensive as crap but by far the easiest and fool proof method
Same here. I hope they can make it work with the rear cross bar. It is easier for the Jeep with it's center cross bar.

Sponsored

BD1

Badlands
First Name
BD1
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
How will you get this past the rear crossmember of the roll cage once you have the top lifted off the body?

I just heard from TopLiftPros (similar to RollNJack) which has a similar product and they said they will have a version that works with the Bronco's back crossbar.

A few months ago I contacted RollNJack and at that time they said they had no Bronco plans.

BroncoBoy22

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'11 Mustang GT 5.0
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I just heard from TopLiftPros (similar to RollNJack) which has a similar product and they said they will have a version that works with the Bronco's back crossbar.

A few months ago I contacted RollNJack and at that time they said they had no Bronco plans.
Excellent!! And I think the broncoā€™a back crossbar would mainly affect the 2 door huh? Seems to have enough space on the 4 door already

Scott1911

Badlands
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 Door BadSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Has anybody seen a picture or video of the "top" of the top with the front panels removed?

This is for a 2 door. I am trying to find some rigging points in front. The 2 slots for attaching the roof rack will be a perfect rigging point in the back. (looks like you can easily slip some webbing through)

flatlander40

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I have a carport and it gets windy around here, so not great for storage. Not sure what the wife will think if I pitch the idea of a new barn so I can put my Bronco stuff in it. Lol

fraserjr

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Badlands 4 Door
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Isnā€™t the rear section of the 4 door Bronco hard top significantly smaller than the Jeep since it doesnā€™t include the 2nd row roof panels? I wonder if there is something that could fold it backwards and vertical. Sort of combining the roll n jack and a dolly.
Sponsored