First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 F150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I’ve had my 4 door badlands for about 3 months now. And I’d say with the exception of road noise on the highway, I love it. But when you’re driving next to big trucks on the highway, it seems like there’s no roof at all.

Wondering if anyone has driven both the new hard top and the soft top, and can comment on this?

The reason I’m asking… I was blessed with getting my Bronco long before I should have been able to. it wasn’t the exact Bronco I ordered, but one nearly identical that came in for someone else who didn’t follow through. My actual pre-order hasn’t been filled and is still outstanding. It’s now time to order the 2022 accordingly, and I’m debating this. I could sell my current Bronco in today’s market for more than I would pay for the potential new Bronco. The soft top is so easy to drop back, which is why I picked it, but would a hard top be significantly better for the highway? This is where I spend a lot of time.
Sponsored

r21free

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 bronco badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I own a hard top 2 door badlands and a 4 door base soft top.The soft top seem to have a lot more road noise .. The hard top has sound deadening ...I know it alot louder if you dont get it...

Last edited:

PaBronco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon, 2022 F-150 Lightning Pro
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I drove both and thought the soft top was quieter than the hard top. The hardtop was a WT and the soft top was a BB. The hard top did not have sound deadening and I assume that would help and make it quieter than the soft top.

I see R21's post and he has a different opinion, but I assume the base has less padding etc... than the other trims which could contribute to his observation.

Broncojy

Big Bend
First Name
Johnny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Neon
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Keep the one you’ve got and buy a hard top when they become available.

Hkak45

Black Diamond
First Name
K
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I drove both and thought the soft top was quieter than the hard top. The hardtop was a WT and the soft top was a BB. The hard top did not have sound deadening and I assume that would help and make it quieter than the soft top.

I see R21's post and he has a different opinion, but I assume the base has less padding etc... than the other trims which could contribute to his observation.
I second this. I drove both regularly and found soft top to have less wind noise than my non sound deadening hard top

Sponsored

motocane

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

This might be a stupid question but I’m wondering if anyone has applied DynaMat, Kilmat or similar sound deadening material to a MIC top (as opposed to the felt? lining Ford applies)?
It would obviously increase the weight of the panels and I have no idea if this is even advisable but could reduce vibration and noise…

Last edited:

jwoobs

Black Diamond
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I've driven a soft-top dealer demo unit and my 2dr MIC, so not exactly apples to apples.

The MIC with liner is pretty good for insulating traffic noise, especially semis. It does get some wind noise once I get above 50ish, but it's not horrible.

The softie any traffic noise cut through it like butter, but maybe there wasn't as much wind noise.

If you're driving in traffic often I would get the MIC. I also imagine the MIC would be better for climate control, if you're in a particularly hot or cold location.

Bjj101

Outer Banks
First Name
Derrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco OBX, 2020 Lexus RX450
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I love my soft top (first one Ive ever owned) and the amount of noise seems tolerable to me. I do agree with OP and the semi's. They sound like they're in the car with me but all other noise is minimal. I still plan to get a hardtop but not the Mic, I'd prefer a complete one piece so as to avoid some of the issues people are having with the Mics.

one800higgins

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW GTI
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The first thing I did when I got home with my Badlands 4DR softtop was test noise. Was surprised that at 85mph on the highway, it was averaging only 5db higher than my bone stock VW GTI. It clocked around 75db compared to 70db.

peterh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
jeep wrangler jlu 2018
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

It might sound crazy, but is there a white sound deadening material or spray? I am going to go with a white top at some point not only because I like the exterior look but it also brightens the interior, especially since the seats, dash and floors are dark. I looked and only found Boom Mat spray for tight spots and that comes in grey.

Sponsored

flip

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ruxerparts.com
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I've got a 4d BL, soft top, non-SAS. We also have a 4d FE, hard top with SAS. IMO, hard top was a little better on the wind noise but overall, was louder than the BL due to tire noise. I've got 3K on the BL and only drove the FE 200 miles a few weekends ago. As far as a daily driver, I wouldn't have SAS but that's just me. I'm likely never going serious off-roading and will likely be content with long term mall crawler status.

On our long trips we only have radio on enough to hear the nav system but can have a normal conversation even at highway speeds. I think the big issue is windshield angle so no matter which top you have, you are going to get more than something like F150. Not much sound deadening in Bronco either which also equals more road, tire, engine and traffic noise.

My question for people asking which top is, what are your plans? Do you want to have top down alot? Once in a great while? Never? The more people I talk to about this the more sense a soft top makes for them. Others say they'll never have the top off or even care about it. Hard top it is.

tracythemighty

Base
First Name
Tracy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco - Race Red Base w/Sas
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

So far, I have ordered the MIC top, but according to this site, there are still problems with it. I've thought about switching to the soft top, but I'm still on the fence about it.

Besides noise, what other things do people not like or find annoying about the soft top?

Is the visibility a lot worse with the wrinkled plastic windows?

Do soft tops get damaged or broken into a lot?

How often do you have to replace them, and how expensive is that?

JaxGtc

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1975 EB Sport; 2021 Outer Banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
First, this isn’t the soft top I remember from my Jeep experience 20 years ago. The quality of everything is much better. The 1/2 down, full down, and rear pop up are all great in design and execution. The top down experience is a ton of fun.
The black cloth is high end and looks great when you want a black roof instead of gray.
You will barely notice any wind noise, but when you are stopped you will hear every sound around the back 1/4, including running vehicles and people talking. That is a bit annoying.
When it is raining, opening a front door window produces some water coming in because there is no gutter effect. I always have a towel on my armrest and that has come in handy at the drive through. Pretty rare but annoying.
Security is relative. Someone theoretically could cut a soft top, but they could smash a window just as easy. I think you have to be cautious with valuables either way.
Visibility is no issue at all. I like the tinting as it provides some privacy.
Like anything, you have to take care of the top, especially the plastic windows that scratch easily. A good spray on fabric protectant for the cloth about once a year is advisable. You will likely be doing hand washing instead of car washes. If you don’t have time or desire, that would be an issue.
All that said, I love the soft top. I would trade it in for a MOD top, but not a MIC. Very happy with the choice.

Last edited:

Southern Girl

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1974 Bronco/2023 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

First, this isn’t the soft top I remember from my Jeep experience 20 years ago. The quality of everything is much better. The 1/2 down, full down, and rear pop up are all great in design and execution. The top down experience is a ton of fun.
The black cloth is high end and looks great when you want a black roof instead of gray.
You will barely notice any wind noice, but when you are stopped you will hear every sound around the back 1/4, including running vehicles and people talking. That is a bit annoying.
When it is raining, opening a front door window produces some water coming in because there is no gutter effect. I always have a towel on my armrest and that has come in handy at the drive through. Pretty rare but annoying.
Security is relative. Someone theoretically could cut a soft top, but they could smash a window just as easy. I think you have to be cautious with valuables either way.
Visibility is no issue at all. I like the tinting as it provides some privacy.
Like anything, you have to take care of the top, especially the plastic windows that scratch easily. A good spray on fabric protectant for the cloth about once a year is advisable. You will likely be doing hand washing instead of car washes. If you don’t have time or desire, that would be an issue.
All that said, I love the soft top. I would trade it in for a MOD top, but not a MIC. Very happy with the choice.
I second this post.

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Off topic, but who the heck are these people posting on 6G with two Broncos already? Given the scarcity, most folks don't even have one. Does anyone have three Broncos yet. ;)
Sponsored