Sponsored

Hardtop Headliner Quality Discrepancies?

TheRealJyushi

Black Diamond
First Name
Angelo
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bigvalleyford.biz
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 2 Door
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Has anyone else noticed a difference in the quality/cut/fitment on the Hardtop Headliner with the Production Broncos? Especially with the cut/fitment around the latches?

On the original Bronco Nation photos of the Headliner, the cuts around the latches are smooth, rounded, and allow material to rest under the latches.

Source: Bronco Nation
Ford Bronco Hardtop Headliner Quality Discrepancies? 1626117460115

Same thing with the Broncos featured at OffRoadeo, and more recently on the Mannequin units showing up to dealers.

Source: Design comparisons 2021 Bronco vs 2021 Wrangler - YouTube
Ford Bronco Hardtop Headliner Quality Discrepancies? 1626117725296

Source: (4DR MIC HARDTOP REMOVAL) - 2021 Ford Bronco 4 Door Hardtop Removal - YouTube
Ford Bronco Hardtop Headliner Quality Discrepancies? 1626117912688

(EDIT) Also looks the same in the photo on Ford's Accessories Site

Ford Bronco Hardtop Headliner Quality Discrepancies? 1626136237216

However, the recent photos of actual customer delivered Broncos look completely different, and to be quite blunt, half-assed and rushed. Huge gaps around the latches, 90 Degree cuts, and fraying edges.

Source: @evilletruck
Ford Bronco Hardtop Headliner Quality Discrepancies? 1626118081761

Source: @PREMiERdrum
Ford Bronco Hardtop Headliner Quality Discrepancies? 1626118294185

Has anyone else who's already taken delivery have a similar headliner installation?
Sponsored

Last edited:

PREMiERdrum

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Flex, 2016 Explorer, 2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I can add that the "underlayment" that feels like rubberized vinyl extends to the areas as shown in the early image, but the acoustic material itself has been trimmed back.

I'd wager that the material was cut back to avoid rubbing your knuckles over it while turning the latches, as that isn't a particularly great feeling (and could cause wear marks on it).

In person, the installation appears clean and well-executed.

OP
OP
TheRealJyushi

TheRealJyushi

Black Diamond
First Name
Angelo
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bigvalleyford.biz
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 2 Door
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I can add that the "underlayment" that feels like rubberized vinyl extends to the areas as shown in the early image, but the acoustic material itself has been trimmed back.

I'd wager that the material was cut back to avoid rubbing your knuckles over it while turning the latches, as that isn't a particularly great feeling (and could cause wear marks on it).

In person, the installation appears clean and well-executed.
Gotcha...I do see a bit of the application material around the latches. Was just curious as to why there was such a big chance between Mannequins and Production models, given how close together they were produced. Maybe it was a last minute change?

PREMiERdrum

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Flex, 2016 Explorer, 2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Gotcha...I do see a bit of the application material around the latches. Was just curious as to why there was such a big chance between Mannequins and Production models, given how close together they were produced. Maybe it was a last minute change?
The change was probably dictated by real-world experience. Remember that the MIC tops were so delayed in development that designing other things around them was difficult.

rugbysecondrow

Black Diamond
First Name
Pauly P
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 C-10 stepside
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Has anyone else noticed a difference in the quality/cut/fitment on the Hardtop Headliner with the Production Broncos? Especially with the cut/fitment around the latches?

On the original Bronco Nation photos of the Headliner, the cuts around the latches are smooth, rounded, and allow material to rest under the latches.

Source: Bronco Nation

Same thing with the Broncos featured at OffRoadeo, and more recently on the Mannequin units showing up to dealers.

Source: Design comparisons 2021 Bronco vs 2021 Wrangler - YouTube

Source: (4DR MIC HARDTOP REMOVAL) - 2021 Ford Bronco 4 Door Hardtop Removal - YouTube

However, the recent photos of actual customer delivered Broncos look completely different, and to be quite blunt, half-assed and rushed. Huge gaps around the latches, 90 Degree cuts, and fraying edges.

Source: @evilletruck

Source: @PREMiERdrum

Has anyone else who's already taken delivery have a similar headliner installation?
no.

I feel like folks are searching for problems now.

Sponsored

Atomicdog

Base
First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

no.

I feel like folks are searching for problems now.
Do you think that looks good? I'm honestly asking. To me it looks like amateur hour. These hardtops are a disgrace.

Atomicdog

Base
First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

@PREMiERdrum
does your headliner look like this? The cut out section has unraveling fuzz on the drivers side and the passenger side has obvious bubbles underneath the underlayment.

edit to add: that pic is of @PREMiERdrum's bronco, so yeah its exactly the same

Last edited:

rugbysecondrow

Black Diamond
First Name
Pauly P
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 C-10 stepside
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Do you think that looks good? I'm honestly asking. To me it looks like amateur hour. These hardtops are a disgrace.
Does the underside.of.my removable top look good? yes, it looks fine. Maybe I don't know what part I am supposed to be upset by.

If the latches move freely, the roof-carpet stays intact, sound is brought down from 65-60 decibels...I am good

I drove a Bronco this weekend. zero times did I look at the underside of the roof. I can't tell you what it looked like...seriously

GoldenKnight

Wildtrak
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Malibu
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Seems pretty obvious it was changed so you don't rub the fabric down while using the latches.

Atomicdog

Base
First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Seems pretty obvious it was changed so you don't rub the fabric down while using the latches.
It's obvious why it was done. The question is, does it look like a good quality product?

Sponsored

Bronc 1

Base
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Ford F-350 diesel
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Bronkers

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 2dr Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Sure, but let's not fabricate issues. The OP is fabricating an issue.
Ehh, definitely in the 'see what it looks like when it's in my driveway' crowd on this thread in general...that being said the bubble on @PREMiERdrum vinyl underlayment definitely looks below par and I'd be pointing it out on my first scheduled service at dealer...

Also while the headliner looks nothing more than nonwoven trunk liner stuck on with some super 77 (and maybe a heat gun for the contours), I think it's probably 100% better than most competitors' hard top headliners that I've seen, which is to say, I have never seen such things, let alone seen it included as-standard...(?)

Annnd, the speculation that it needs to be cut out to keep the latch cams from marring it is a stretch. The latch cams should 'park' where the handle is (small uncovered area in first example pics) when the panel is removed, and the handles should be offset high enough to not drag the carpet when operating. If you're worried about rug burn you ordered the wrong vehicle.

Last edited:

rugbysecondrow

Black Diamond
First Name
Pauly P
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 C-10 stepside
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Ehh, definitely in the 'see what it looks like when it's in my driveway' crowd on this thread in general...that being said the bubble on @PREMiERdrum vinyl underlayment definitely looks below par and I'd be pointing it out on my first scheduled service at dealer...

Also while the headliner looks nothing more than nonwoven trunk liner stuck on with some super 77 (and maybe a heat gun for the contours), I think it's probably 100% better than most competitors' hard top headliners that I've seen, which is to say, I have never seen such things, let alone seen it included as-standard...(?)
To be honest, I just don't see the issue. Maybe I just don't know where to look.

I agree with you. When I get my Bronco, if there are issues, I will take care of them. This is partly why I bought mine locally instead of 4 states away...service.

Lastly, being a Black Diamond order holder, I don't even remember if I added the headliner or not, since it was "free" but we had to opt in for the BD.

Bronkers

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 2dr Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
C

Annnd, the speculation that it needs to be cut out to keep the latch cams from marring it is a stretch. The latch cams should 'park' where the handle is (small uncovered area in first example pics) when the panel is removed, and the handles should be offset high enough to not drag the carpet when operating. If you're worried about rug burn you ordered the wrong vehicle.
Changed my mind. I'd love all of these character marks like my children and/or work the bubbles out with a needle and roller. The edges of the carpet appear to be serged so any incidental fuzz should stay that way.
Sponsored