chtucker

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
just a head up- I have a fleet of 15 work trucks in addition to my two personal Broncos. We took a truck to Harris Ford in Lynwood because Kendall and Bickford were weeks out on an appointment.
Harris Ford charges 3% on top of $225 per hour, $60 shop supplies and a hazmat fee. If they are truly paying 3% for credit card processing they need to find another company. First time I have seen this at a service department.

Right or wrong, it's unusual and I figured y'all should know.
Sponsored

emulous74

Badlands
First Name
Seth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 ZR2 Bison D , '23 Bronco 2DR, MT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Report them to Mastercard/Visa, it is against their policies to charge you more to use your credit card, they can loose the right to accept credit cards. The only exception I’m aware of is for fuel stations.

5PC24

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Report them to Mastercard/Visa, it is against their policies to charge you more to use your credit card, they can loose the right to accept credit cards. The only exception I’m aware of is for fuel stations.
Unfortunately, per https://www.mastercard.us/en-us/business/overview/support/merchant-surcharge-rules.html

Pursuant to a settlement of the U.S. merchant class litigation, Mastercard modified certain rules and business practices to permit U.S. merchants to apply an extra checkout fee, also known as a surcharge, to customers who pay with Mastercard-branded credit cards. The rule change permitting such surcharging went into effect on January 27, 2013.

emulous74

Badlands
First Name
Seth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 ZR2 Bison D , '23 Bronco 2DR, MT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Unfortunately, per https://www.mastercard.us/en-us/business/overview/support/merchant-surcharge-rules.html

Pursuant to a settlement of the U.S. merchant class litigation, Mastercard modified certain rules and business practices to permit U.S. merchants to apply an extra checkout fee, also known as a surcharge, to customers who pay with Mastercard-branded credit cards. The rule change permitting such surcharging went into effect on January 27, 2013.
Thanks, didn’t realize it changed.

OP
OP
chtucker

chtucker

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
It's just a weird way of doing business, Home Depot, Best Buy, grocery store, no one adds a surcharge. Especially at $225 per hour. I probably authorize $20k-30k a year in in vehicle maintenance and I haven't seen this before.

Sponsored

contented

Badlands
First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW M2 Competition
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Here in Florida, Circle K adds 10 cents per gal when using a credit card.

DrakeYounger

Raptor
First Name
Drake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Thanks for the heads up! It's always good to know

Last edited:

toymaster

Badlands
First Name
Leonardo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
It's just a weird way of doing business, Home Depot, Best Buy, grocery store, no one adds a surcharge. Especially at $225 per hour. I probably authorize $20k-30k a year in in vehicle maintenance and I haven't seen this before.
Yes the merchant pays a fee for using this system, this is how visa/mastercard/amx make money. Some can get better rates, say Walmart, but most small businesses are at the mercy of what the payment systems tells them they will accept. Amx has the highest in the industry and the reason why many merchants won't accept them; I am an amx member and like the perks the larger fees allow.

The interest on the loans (monthly balances carried forward) are just icing on the cake for the CC companies.

Outside of north america almost all merchants pass the cost onto the customer, normal. We, the consumers, are just spoiled in 'merica. The reason for the change in NA is we are in hard times, the fees cut into profits, when profits get slim, the business leaders look for ways to increase it.

Taltyman

Raptor
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep wrangler Rubicon, Ford F350, Braptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Platinum Ford in Terrell Texas does the same thing. I don't remember the surcharge but they waived it for me. I used to own a gun store and the CC fees can really eat into what little profit there is in guns.
Sponsored