Sponsored

Has any one installed the RC hidden winch with 2.7 engine and HD Modular bumper?

SCBronco1

Wildtrak
First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F150 Lariat Fx4, 2012 BMW X3, 2011 Escape
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Has any one installed the RC hidden winch with 2.7 engine and HD Modular bumper? If so:

1. Do you like it?
2. Does it do as expected?
3. Any issues?
4. Is it hard to switch winch directions?

Thank you!
Sponsored

BRBlue

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Other threads on this topic. Looks like a serious pain to install but the best looking winch option IMO.

OP
OP
SCBronco1

SCBronco1

Wildtrak
First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Other threads on this topic. Looks like a serious pain to install but the best looking winch option IMO.

I have seen the threads with installing it, but no one has put out a after use review. I am just trying to avoid headache after the fact.

JScheier

Wildtrak
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 2dr Wildtrak, '11 BMW M3, '96 Ford Bronco XLT
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I'm installing mine right now. First night was disassembly of the front of the Bronco and cutting off the frame stubs. Last night was finishing up the coolant hoses to the oil cooler and mounting that (also put the winch tray together). Tonight will be assembling the winch to the tray and seeing if/where I need to relocate the control box.

I have a 4-post lift, so with the bronco on that, the from modular bumper removed, day one was pretty easy. Took about 5 minutes per side to cut off the stubs and grind them flush. Total of 1.5 hours. Day 2 was all piddly crap, cutting the coolant hoses, moving and remounting brackets, etc. Nothing 'difficult', just a ton of little items to knock out. Now it's just the heavy lifting.

Note: Two parts bags were missing in my shipment. Ended up going to Home Depot and buying (6) 6mm button head bolts/nuts, (1) insulated clamp and (6) 1" worm clamps. That got me through what was missing.

Other than that, the kit is pretty complete and appears to be of good quality. The Warn fairlead I have doesn't quite line up with the RC mount, but I can make that work.

Looks like about 3.5 - 4 hours of work. 30 minutes on the phone with RC requesting the missing parts and 45 minutes RT to Home Depot for parts.
Ford Bronco Has any one installed the RC hidden winch with 2.7 engine and HD Modular bumper? IMG_3552.JPG
Ford Bronco Has any one installed the RC hidden winch with 2.7 engine and HD Modular bumper? Bronco Cut

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I have seen the threads with installing it, but no one has put out a after use review. I am just trying to avoid headache after the fact.
I am still in the process of making mods, and this will be my next mod. I think the biggest challenge is in the install, but from a use standpoint (provided you use the Apex Badlands 12k winch) I don't see it as a difficult situation with regard to being able to use it once installed.

The biggest challenge is switching the winch to freewheel. I do have some ideas to make that an easier process, but that's the biggest hurdle to clear in order to get full use out of the winch.

Sponsored
OP
OP
SCBronco1

SCBronco1

Wildtrak
First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I'm installing mine right now. First night was disassembly of the front of the Bronco and cutting off the frame stubs. Last night was finishing up the coolant hoses to the oil cooler and mounting that (also put the winch tray together). Tonight will be assembling the winch to the tray and seeing if/where I need to relocate the control box.

I have a 4-post lift, so with the bronco on that, the from modular bumper removed, day one was pretty easy. Took about 5 minutes per side to cut off the stubs and grind them flush. Total of 1.5 hours. Day 2 was all piddly crap, cutting the coolant hoses, moving and remounting brackets, etc. Nothing 'difficult', just a ton of little items to knock out. Now it's just the heavy lifting.

Note: Two parts bags were missing in my shipment. Ended up going to Home Depot and buying (6) 6mm button head bolts/nuts, (1) insulated clamp and (6) 1" worm clamps. That got me through what was missing.

Other than that, the kit is pretty complete and appears to be of good quality. The Warn fairlead I have doesn't quite line up with the RC mount, but I can make that work.

Looks like about 3.5 - 4 hours of work. 30 minutes on the phone with RC requesting the missing parts and 45 minutes RT to Home Depot for parts.
Ford Bronco Has any one installed the RC hidden winch with 2.7 engine and HD Modular bumper? Bronco Cut
Thanks for the update, I don't have a lift so I am paying a 4x4 shop locally to install it for me. They have done a few of them on the 2.3lt engines and can handle this easy peasy. Where do the payout gear handle end up being once it is installed?

BRBlue

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Said the professional mechanic 😉

OP
OP
SCBronco1

SCBronco1

Wildtrak
First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I am still in the process of making mods, and this will be my next mod. I think the biggest challenge is in the install, but from a use standpoint (provided you use the Apex Badlands 12k winch) I don't see it as a difficult situation with regard to being able to use it once installed.

The biggest challenge is switching the winch to freewheel. I do have some ideas to make that an easier process, but that's the biggest hurdle to clear in order to get full use out of the winch.
I am wondering the same thing when it comes to the freewheel handle. I am getting the RCPRO9300, keeping all the same brand and my buddy has had RC winches on all of his stuff since forever and a day with no complaints.

JScheier

Wildtrak
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Said the professional mechanic 😉
Note: Flip-Flops and grinding on steel stubs are not a 'professional' move :) Also, using the wrong cutoff wheel on the oil cooler makes it take 3x as long as the aluminum clogs up the cutoff wheel.

;)

Bud2020

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badsquatch 2.7 Lux
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I’d have some info for you but I didn’t do my due diligence ahead of time and found out when I went to put my winch in the tray that it didn’t fit. 🤦‍♂️

ETA: if anyone reads this in central Florida and need the mount, hmu brand new. 250. 🤙🏼

Sponsored

JScheier

Wildtrak
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Where do the payout gear handle end up being once it is installed?
I may know more this evening... depending on how much time I have to spend on it. I'm installing a Warn VR Evo 10s, and I think the freewheel handle has to rotate less than other brands. If so, It will be a matter of extending the handle so I can operate it from under the hood.

JScheier

Wildtrak
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I’d have some info for you but I didn’t do my due diligence ahead of time and found out when I went to put my winch in the tray that it didn’t fit. 🤦‍♂️
I saw your post. That sucks.

Bud2020

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badsquatch 2.7 Lux
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I am wondering the same thing when it comes to the freewheel handle. I am getting the RCPRO9300, keeping all the same brand and my buddy has had RC winches on all of his stuff since forever and a day with no complaints.
I was toying with one of three options.

1. Linear actuator or solenoid to switch from engaged to freewheel. Simple switch to actuate.
2. A long handle accessed from underhood to switch between engaged/freewheel.
3. A hole in the bumper or front plate to a handle which would switch between engaged/freewheel.

Any of the three are possible. My preference right now is a hole from the front for a push/pull switch to engage/freewheel.

dcaero

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco OBX SAS
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I was able to self recover from this. While it did take a moment to get the line out (since I haven't made the free spool accessible) it worked flawlessly. I say go for it!

Ford Bronco Has any one installed the RC hidden winch with 2.7 engine and HD Modular bumper? IMG20220813104659
Sponsored