Sponsored

Has Anyone Been to Death Valley Recently?

contented

Badlands
First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW M2 Competition
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Have an April trip planned to go from the flat wetlands of Florida to Death Valley ad then on to Moab w/ some Jeep friends. DV base of operations would be Stovepipe Wells Inn. Wanted to see Ballarat, Goler Wash, Barker Ranch, Mengel Pass, Titus Canyon, Chloride City/Cliffs, Star Wars Canyon, Steel Pass, Eureka Dunes, Lippincott Mine Pass, Ubehebe Crater, etc. In short, as much of the good stuff as we can fit into three full days.

After searching NPS website, calling DVNP ranger station and requesting a call back, and google searching, I'm starting to get concerned that last years floods may have damaged things such that a trip at this point may not be advisable. My question is this - has anyone been there in the last two months? If so, what are you observations and thoughts?

Thanks much. Contented
Sponsored

BostonSasquatch

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Lux Badlands with hardtop and Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

On the other hand, all this rain may yield a superbloom this spring in Death Valley & other desert locales. They're spectacular.

Ryslegit

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco Badlands Sas
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I am actually planning on going in April as well with a group of friends. We'll be hitting defense mine and eureka dunes. So far no one has mentioned anything of concern.

BitterBronco

Badlands
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Tuxedo Black Ford Edge
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

That’s quite the list of stops in 3 days! I’d be camped at Star Wars Canyon waiting for some jets!

RC Bronco

Black Diamond
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Ford Bronco, '97 Geo Tracker
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Quite the list! Wish I was still there...

Was there in mid to late December, a few days after a snowstorm came through, mostly in the Owens Valley area, but we ventured out into Saline Valley and other parts of DV. Wonderful trip, but things did not go 100% according to plan - we had to adapt to closures/blockages on the fly, I'd expect you all to have to do the same

Scotty's Castle Road to Titus Canyon was closed when I was there and it was also closed on my way out; it looked like you could possibly drive through Leadfield to get there, but I'd be cautious

Star Wars Canyon is good to go

Steele Pass is up in the air. I heard it was damaged, but passable for modified vehicles. The washboard and flood damage on Saline Valley Road is immense, I'd expect similar for this one. If you can do Steele, you'll definitely make it to the Dunes

I wanted to do Lippincott Pass really bad, but it's not passable. Talked to a few rangers and learned a few things:
- "Lippincott Pass is the worst it has ever been; travel is not advised" - direct quote
- sections of it have washed out
- learned that about 1-1.5 miles from The Racetrack, Lippincott is so badly damaged it is unpassable by anything other than foot
- As far as going the other way to The Racetrack, you're also out of luck that way... There's a closure somewhere near Lost Burro Gap. Not sure what Hunter Mtn Rd is like

My view of Lippincott from Saline Valley Road was pretty gnarly. Looked like it would be a fun and somewhat sketchy ride. Wish we had the time to find out ourselves

Overall, I say go for it and adapt to whatever obstacles you run into. There was not a single bad experience on my trip. We were worried about running into way more snow than we did, but didn't hurt to be extra prepared

I found this link helpful when I was out there in Inyo County: https://www.inyocounty.us/sites/default/files/2023-01/CURRENT ROAD UPDATE 01.11.23.pdf (but the area just got some major snowfall... I bet this changes at next update)

Silver Canyon Road was 100% ice just a few miles up when I was there

Last edited:

Sponsored
OP
OP
contented

contented

Badlands
First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW M2 Competition
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

Was there in mid to late December, a few days after a snowstorm came through, mostly in the Owens Valley area, but we ventured out into Saline Valley and other parts of DV. Wonderful trip, but things did not go 100% according to plan - we had to adapt to closures/blockages on the fly, I'd expect you all to have to do the same

Scotty's Castle Road to Titus Canyon was closed when I was there and it was also closed on my way out; it looked like you could possibly drive through Leadfield to get there, but I'd be cautious

Steele Pass is up in the air. I heard it was damaged, but passable for modified vehicles. The washboard and flood damage on Saline Valley Road is immense, I'd expect similar for this one. If you can do Steele, you'll definitely make it to the Dunes

I wanted to do Lippincott Pass really bad, but it's not passable. Talked to a few rangers and learned a few things:
- "Lippincott Pass is the worst it has ever been; travel is not advised" - direct quote
- learned that about 1-1.5 miles from The Racetrack, Lippincott is so badly damaged it is unpassable by anything other than foot
- As far as going the other way to The Racetrack, you're also out of luck that way... There's a closure somewhere near Lost Burro Gap. Not sure what Hunter Mtn Rd is like

My view of Lippincott from Saline Valley Road was pretty gnarly. Looked like it would be a fun and somewhat sketchy ride. Wish we had the time to find out ourselves

Overall, I say go for it and adapt to whatever obstacles you run into. There was not a single bad experience on my trip. We were worried about running into way more snow than we did, but didn't hurt to be extra prepared

I found this link helpful when I was out there in Inyo County: https://www.inyocounty.us/sites/default/files/2023-01/CURRENT ROAD UPDATE 01.11.23.pdf (but the area just got some major snowfall... I bet this changes at next update)

Rob, thanks so much for the detailed response. Very helpful and a lot to think about. I’ll be consulting with my travel partners.

thanks again. Contented

NORCALGXP

Wildtrak
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Excellent post, thanks I will be DV end March into April, this is a great help.

OP
OP
contented

contented

Badlands
First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW M2 Competition
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
After wondering if I'd lost my sense of adventure and the fact I'll probably never get there again, we all thought - why not? So, trip is on.

Rob, thanks again for the update. Karl

RC Bronco

Black Diamond
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Ford Bronco, '97 Geo Tracker
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

After wondering if I'd lost my sense of adventure and the fact I'll probably never get there again, we all thought - why not? So, trip is on.

Rob, thanks again for the update. Karl
Love to hear it! Wishing you a happy trip with many fond memories

Share the journey with us once you’re back safe and sound! There’s a good chunk of folks on here who really enjoy reading about others adventures plus it inspires others to get out there themselves

Desert_Brush

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mini Cooper
Your Bronco Model
Base
Have an April trip planned to go from the flat wetlands of Florida to Death Valley ad then on to Moab w/ some Jeep friends. DV base of operations would be Stovepipe Wells Inn. Wanted to see Ballarat, Goler Wash, Barker Ranch, Mengel Pass, Titus Canyon, Chloride City/Cliffs, Star Wars Canyon, Steel Pass, Eureka Dunes, Lippincott Mine Pass, Ubehebe Crater, etc. In short, as much of the good stuff as we can fit into three full days.

After searching NPS website, calling DVNP ranger station and requesting a call back, and google searching, I'm starting to get concerned that last years floods may have damaged things such that a trip at this point may not be advisable. My question is this - has anyone been there in the last two months? If so, what are you observations and thoughts?

Thanks much. Contented
I was there this past November from the 27th to the 29th. The roads in and out of it are open. There are some places that are closed due to the flooding/mudslides (race track playa, Scotty's Castle, Darwin Falls and some other places). Here is the complete list of things I got to see in the three days I was there fall 2022.

Badwater Basin Salt Flats
Mesquite Sand Dunes
Dante's View
Artist's Palette
Golden Valley
Red Cathedral
20 Mule Team Canyon Road
Natural Bridge
Devil's Golf Course
Crowley Overlook
Mustard Canyon
Harmony Borax Works
Zabriskie Point

I was only there for 44 hours total but got to see all of these. Some of these requiring hiking and consecutively I did 16 miles. The ranger also told me the Wildrose Charcoal Kilns are also open. Call the visitor center, they have a help desk there that answers questions about what is open/closed. I have pictures, but I'm at work so I can post later if you're interested.

Sponsored
OP
OP
contented

contented

Badlands
First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW M2 Competition
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I was there this past November from the 27th to the 29th. The roads in and out of it are open. There are some places that are closed due to the flooding/mudslides (race track playa, Scotty's Castle, Darwin Falls and some other places). Here is the complete list of things I got to see in the three days I was there fall 2022.

Badwater Basin Salt Flats
Mesquite Sand Dunes
Dante's View
Artist's Palette
Golden Valley
Red Cathedral
20 Mule Team Canyon Road
Natural Bridge
Devil's Golf Course
Crowley Overlook
Mustard Canyon
Harmony Borax Works
Zabriskie Point

I was only there for 44 hours total but got to see all of these. Some of these requiring hiking and consecutively I did 16 miles. The ranger also told me the Wildrose Charcoal Kilns are also open. Call the visitor center, they have a help desk there that answers questions about what is open/closed. I have pictures, but I'm at work so I can post later if you're interested.
Always interested in pics. Tnx

ironmike

Raptor
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Higher altitude stuff like the Wildrose area might be snowed in now (though likely gone by April). Bet bet is to call the ranger/visitor center. That will help with the pre-planning. Then you should stop by the VC to dial things in once you get there. The previously mentioned road closures are unlikely to change between now and then...

joez

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bronco
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I was in the valley at the end of December. I think you are asking too far in advance; a lot of these conditions will change over the next 2-3 months. After all these storms we had since then I wouldn't be surprised if there are more closures. I would plan on spending your time there and see what is do able.
Titus canyon was closed when I was there. Star war canyon, try to spend a Tuesday there, that is the day the navy uses it. I have seen low level jets in all of the park except 'Death valley' it self. If you just want to see the Eureka Dunes you can drive there via 395 or Salin valley. When I drove by Ballarat everything looked normal.
If you are camping and going to spend some time in the panamint valley you can do disperse camping. This might save you some travel time.

Desert_Brush

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mini Cooper
Your Bronco Model
Base
Always interested in pics. Tnx
Devil's Golf Course
Ford Bronco Has Anyone Been to Death Valley Recently? Devils Golf Cours

Artist's Palette