Sponsored

Has anyone damaged their undercarriage yet from off-roading?

Badassbronco

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Just curious if anyone has damaged any part of the undercarriage such as gas tank, transmission, transfer case etc?

I have the mod bumper and ordered the OEM transfer case skid. I don’t plan on going on anything higher than say a 5 (scale 1-10) but don’t want to damage anything underneath
Sponsored

cardad

Raptor
First Name
Kelvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Raptor, Wrangler 4xe, Rivian R1T, Ioniq 5
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
What size wheels are you running? You can scrape on any trail if you pick the wrong line but I found the stock 32s on the Badlands were just borderline at Moab OFFROADEO on Dome Plateau (4) and that convinced me to go with the 33 MTs. I have to take the family and 4 is the limit. On a 5 you might need a slight lift even with Sas as people were scraping at Off Roadeo.

Theherofails

Badlands
First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 e-tron Sportback, 2021 Bronco Badlands Sas
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Factory skids are more than satisfactory for anything you'll run into on a 5 rated trail.

I've taken my Badlands on tons of 7-8 rated trails without anything more than scrapes on skids.

The most important rule is don't let any rock bigger than 6 or so inches between your wheels. Always put your wheel on the rock and you'll be fine. The big rookie mistake is trying to drive over large rocks in the middle of the road and smacking them on undercarriage parts.

IMG_20220213_163314_205.jpg

This photo is a decent example. Wheels are on the rocks and I didnt try putting the large boulder on the left under the vehicle as you can see a lot of people have done by the rock piles everywhere.

This is a 7-8 rated trail so you won't run into stuff this big on a 5 typically.

NORCALGXP

Wildtrak
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Just got back from Moab Utah and still need to fully inspect the under carriage. But I do know there will be damage. If you want I can post photos tomorrow
Ford Bronco Has anyone damaged their undercarriage yet from off-roading? IMG_1454
Ford Bronco Has anyone damaged their undercarriage yet from off-roading? IMG_6631
Ford Bronco Has anyone damaged their undercarriage yet from off-roading? IMG_0129

mike8675309

Base
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco ManSquatch, 2023 Chevy Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Base
You just need to make sure you don't drop the vehicle on a large rock. Dropping it with a rock in the wrong position could mess up the driveshaft or the exhaust system. Just be smooth, and take it easy. Don't let it start hopping as you try to clear something with "momentum" .

Sponsored

BAUS67

Base
First Name
redneck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
88 5.0 LX, 08 F-150 Stepside, 22 Expl Timberline
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

As the others have said, best advice is to drive on the rocks NOT straddle them. I only took my son one lesson on the 4-wheelers to learn this. He was mad, I made it through the rock garden, and he didn't. I showed him how drive on the rocks not to straddle them and now he just blows through rock gardens like the are gravel roads. :D

If you don't have sliders/rock rails, then I would suggest getting a set to save your rockers from being smashed. Better that the rock rail to take it than the undercarriage. Besides most times you won't get hung up on the rails but you will get hung up on the undercarriage, sometimes referred to as turtling. 😁

OP
OP

Badassbronco

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Just got back from Moab Utah and still need to fully inspect the under carriage. But I do know there will be damage. If you want I can post photos tomorrow
Ford Bronco Has anyone damaged their undercarriage yet from off-roading? IMG_0129
Yes I’m curious what type of damage you took. No rush in posting the photos. Whenever you have time. Thanks

OP
OP

Badassbronco

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Factory skids are more than satisfactory for anything you'll run into on a 5 rated trail.

I've taken my Badlands on tons of 7-8 rated trails without anything more than scrapes on skids.

The most important rule is don't let any rock bigger than 6 or so inches between your wheels. Always put your wheel on the rock and you'll be fine. The big rookie mistake is trying to drive over large rocks in the middle of the road and smacking them on undercarriage parts.

IMG_20220213_163314_205.jpg

This photo is a decent example. Wheels are on the rocks and I didnt try putting the large boulder on the left under the vehicle as you can see a lot of people have done by the rock piles everywhere.

This is a 7-8 rated trail so you won't run into stuff this big on a 5 typically.
Thanks for the advice on not straddling the rocks. Unfortunately I don’t have full factory skids but will add a few additional plates when I get a chance.

Razorbak86

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, BMW R1150 GS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Thanks for the advice on not straddling the rocks. Unfortunately I don’t have full factory skids but will add a few additional plates when I get a chance.
Now that aftermarket skids are available, you should start seeing factory takeoffs hitting the market soon. I know I’m installing aftermarket skids next week, so I will have takeoffs available for sale soon.

AZMikeL

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Badlands 4dr, 2016 BMW 435i
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I've relieved the bottom frame of some paint crossing the 2021 rearranged New River - but that's it so far. Bonus - slightly less weight = slightly better gas mileage :)

@Theherofails what trail is that pic from?

Sponsored

Theherofails

Badlands
First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I've relieved the bottom frame of some paint crossing the 2021 rearranged New River - but that's it so far. Bonus - slightly less weight = slightly better gas mileage :)

@Theherofails what trail is that pic from?
Back road to Crown King. One of the best trails in the Phoenix area IMO. Between a 6-8 on difficulty depending on the season you go.

Theherofails

Badlands
First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have a buddy who does all the same stuff I do but in a F250 with zero skids. He's so far managed not to do any damage other than normal wear and tear on his suspension. Keeping rocks from going between your wheels really allows you to stretch what you can do without skids. Good luck out there!

AZMikeL

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Badlands 4dr, 2016 BMW 435i
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Back road to Crown King. One of the best trails in the Phoenix area IMO. Between a 6-8 on difficulty depending on the season you go.
It is an awesome trail - not been on that section for years though. Just Crown King to Horse Theif was brutal in the F-350.

The inlaws are coming next month from Illinois. I may do that trail with the Father-In-Law, assuming it's not on fire. I'm laying 70% odds that he'll actually crap his pants :)

j_4260

Badlands
First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi A3, Ducati M620, BMW GSA 1200
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

My rear trailing arm took a whack this past weekend - I wasn't smooth on the throttle while going over a woop and landed on the log. Oops.

Ford Bronco Has anyone damaged their undercarriage yet from off-roading? PXL_20220526_033724607.NIGHT

@NORCALGXP how'd yours fair?

NORCALGXP

Wildtrak
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

My rear trailing arm took a whack this past weekend - I wasn't smooth on the throttle while going over a woop and landed on the log. Oops.

Ford Bronco Has anyone damaged their undercarriage yet from off-roading? PXL_20220526_033724607.NIGHT

@NORCALGXP how'd yours fair?
All the rims are now well used. The front winch mount is scraped along with the rear bumper. The covers for the trailing plugs completely gone. Two of the frame supports have rock scrapes. The plates put on to protect the rear shocks not a mark except for rock chips to the paint. I guess i can't go mall crawling any more it not perfect any more.
Ford Bronco Has anyone damaged their undercarriage yet from off-roading? 20220413_152108
Ford Bronco Has anyone damaged their undercarriage yet from off-roading? 20220413_151951
Ford Bronco Has anyone damaged their undercarriage yet from off-roading? 20220413_151908
Ford Bronco Has anyone damaged their undercarriage yet from off-roading? 20220413_151838
Ford Bronco Has anyone damaged their undercarriage yet from off-roading? 20220413_151653
Ford Bronco Has anyone damaged their undercarriage yet from off-roading? 20220413_151300
Ford Bronco Has anyone damaged their undercarriage yet from off-roading? 20220413_151410
Ford Bronco Has anyone damaged their undercarriage yet from off-roading? 20220413_150954
Sponsored