Sponsored

Has anyone driven Broncos with both the Bilstein suspension and non-Bilstein suspension?

calgecko

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Chevy ZR2 Bison V6
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

• Banned
So the Badlands+ (or any model with Sasquatch) comes with the Bilstein position-sensitive shocks - I'm curious how these feel on the road compared to the lesser models? I just saw a Youtube Video where the guy states the 4 door Badlands he was driving (with Bilsteins) was pretty firm on the road over bumps and such. I'm curious - for normal road driving - which suspension is softer/more comfortable? I've got Badlands on order, but I have a neck issue due to a bad accident 20 years ago, and need to factor in the ride quality - if it's going to be too firm/jarring - I may need to reconsider and maybe go with an OBX instead and just upgrade wheels/tires.
Sponsored

johndeerefarmer

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 F150, '20 F350 Powerstroke
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So the Badlands+ (or any model with Sasquatch) comes with the Bilstein position-sensitive shocks - I'm curious how these feel on the road compared to the lesser models? I just saw a Youtube Video where the guy states the 4 door Badlands he was driving (with Bilsteins) was pretty firm on the road over bumps and such. I'm curious - for normal road driving - which suspension is softer/more comfortable? I've got Badlands on order, but I have a neck issue due to a bad accident 20 years ago, and need to factor in the ride quality - if it's going to be too firm/jarring - I may need to reconsider and maybe go with an OBX instead and just upgrade wheels/tires.
Since the Badlands and SAS package have the Bilsteins and are designed for off road they should be the softest ride. I suspect the cheaper shocks are gonna be the rough ones. Of all of the driving reviews I have saw everyone says they ride good off road so I wouldn't expect on road to be rough at all.

Lakelife36

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Kia Borrego, 2012 Chevy Cruze, 2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Do you have a link to the video? Perhaps we can dissect it.

WyoBronc

Wildtrak
First Name
Kerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger, 2021 Bronco BB, 2006 Saturn Vue
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I’ve driven a non-Sasquatch 4dr BL on a test drive and bought an abandoned order, non-Sasquatch 4dr BB, and I couldn’t really tell the difference during on road and highway driving. But it would stand to reason the Bilsteins would be noticeably better off road.

OP
OP
calgecko

calgecko

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Chevy ZR2 Bison V6
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

• Banned

Sponsored

wetdog

Base
First Name
Bruno
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jl
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Drove a big bend non squatch,and a wildtrack squatched the wt floated compared to the bb.
Maybe more tire ,the suspension ,it soaked up stuff like speed bumps and expansion joints.

Lakelife36

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Kia Borrego, 2012 Chevy Cruze, 2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Drove a big bend non squatch,and a wildtrack squatched the wt floated compared to the bb.
Maybe more tire ,the suspension ,it soaked up stuff like speed bumps and expansion joints.
Aight imma start warming up my arm

Losy

Raptor
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gen 1 Raptor, GL63, S7
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

aftermarket King 2.5's ride soft on-road and you can adjust them even softer. When we added King's to my Raptor I was amazed at how plush the ride was. Perhaps go with stock, and if it feels stiff given your injury, move up to kings. Just depends on your budget.

lakesinai

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 4dr OBX MIC 2.7 Rear Locker A51 Roast
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

You ask the same question I'm wondering, and I ended up ordering the non-SAS OBX 4dr because I was afraid that the Sasquatch system & Tires would be too noisey or bouncy or harsh, and I had to make my decision back in March without the benefit of the subsequent 7 months we've had to analyze and compare trims in the real world. I got my VIN in late April, so no changes allowed. My plan was a <1" lift and 33" tires, but I've discovered that with the OBX 18" x 7.5" wheels, there are no C or D rated 33" tires (275/70R18 & up) but they're all the more-jarring/harsh E rated tires. This means that to do it right, I need to get a set of 17" x 8" wheels so I can purchase a set of softer tires in a C or D weight rating.

Essentially, this means I want a set of non-sasquatch Badlands wheels & tires (BF Goodrich KO2, C-rated) for my OBX. Maybe buy from a Badlands owner upgrading to larger tires. And adding a 1" lift Essentially creates a Badlands height lift. And I dont know how that will change the ride on my OBX. Maybe I should have bought the stock Badlands . . .

When my OBX arrives at the end of the month, I'll see how it rides on the beach and the road and go from there.

EDIT: ANAICT, the OBX with its less-aggressive 255/70R18 tires seems to be the model most designed for highway travel. What's more, you can also buy the leather electric-adjustable seats. From my experience as a tall person, the added multi-position adjustability electric provides es essential for comfort. That may also be true for people with bad back issues. I'll know if I chose well when my OBX arrives in the next few weeks.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Catmandu

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Jeep JKU (Officially Sold), 2015 Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I have driven both and BB non-SAS and Badlands non-SAS. To me there was a noticeable difference between the two. Both had decent road manners, however the Badlands did much better on rough roads and construction zones. The difference was more subtle on decent roads, with the BL still providing my preferred ride. Didn't get a chance to drive the BB off road, but the BL did remarkably well on the trails. With both riding so well, I do not think you are going to find too many folks gripping about either, WAY better than my JKU.

eskimoquin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Japanese
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I just saw a Youtube Video where the guy states the 4 door Badlands he was driving (with Bilsteins) was pretty firm on the road over bumps and such. I'm curious - for normal road driving - which suspension is softer/more comfortable?
I've seen at least 3 review videos where the host comments that while riding on the Bilstein PSD shocks, every crack and pebble in the road in accentuated. I was confused because that seems to be the opposite of what the PSD with a "soft middle" is supposed to do.

Have you found more on this topic @calgecko ?

Thanks

Tech Tim

Base
Squatch Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JKU
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

We have both a Base and a Base Squatch.

On the road, the Base Squatch is a little firmer, the Base Base is a little softer/smoother.

The big difference is on the backroads at speed. I've had them both doing the full tilt boogie at speed over rough gravel/rocky logging roads and the Bilstein suspension in the Squatch just soaks it up. The Base suspension is at its limits on the big compressions and it needs a little more finesse to keep it in control.

ChompSticks

Black Diamond
First Name
ChompSticks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'02 E55 wagon, '98 Suzuki X-90, '96 Town Car
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I swapped from black diamond to sasquatch. The base black diamond was more comfortable on the road. I feel more road with the sasquatch

eskimoquin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Japanese
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
This is so odd. I wonder what it is about these Bilstein PSD in the Sasquatch package that cause this. They are supposed to be soft in the middle.

This makes me more inclined to forgo the Sasquatch package (if choosing Badlands) and put on my own adjustable shocks/springs. It may be that the only benefit of adding Sasquatch to Badlands is the gears (you can get your own wheels/tires).
Sponsored