Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hummer H3T
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I'm happy for you. I wasn't so lucky.
Well the 4L60 in my H3T made it to 75,000 miles before it blew up. The rebuild cost was $2,200. My rebuilder updated all the crappy parts GM put in it. It shifts much better now and seems more robust in 3rd gear. It's got an 8-plate clutch pack in it now vs. the 5-plate GM used.

Maybe we're even ;)
Sponsored

NCOBX

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
H2 Hummer, Holden Commodore
Your Bronco Model
Base
With 81% percent content from Australia. Interesting. So you are good with global parts sourcing for your vehicles. So am I. I'm not convinced the MT-88 built in China means it won't be a good, failure-free transmission. My extensive experience with Getrags tells me they can make a good transmission. If I find out the Chinese company that Getrag has its joint venture with uses "forced labor" (i.e. slaves) to build the transmission, then I'll have a moral issue to deal with. I hope Ford acts as a good global citizen on this front.

It would be great if the MT-88 was sourced from the US, but that's just not economic reality these days.

The SS is a bad-ass car BTY. I wish I was in the market for one when GM was giving them away back at the end of 2018.
I have no problem with 1st world components, those workers are getting paid and live under similar rules and regulations as we do in the USA. What I have an issue with is buying major components from 3rd world countries that donā€™t have the laws and regulations we have, that have workers working for 1/5 of our wages. We are at an inherit disadvantage and should not be lawful.

Furthermore we are well aware Nike, Apple, GM, and many others use forced Chinese labor to manufacture goods for the US and other markets around the world. There is no reason to assume your Getrag is going to be built by someone with a working wage and certainly with any freedom to make their own choices in life. Your either poor or your a party member in China, there is no middle class worker living a good life after coming home from building your transmission. I cannot in good conscience opt for the manual for that reason.

NCOBX

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Iā€™m not sure where you heard GM was giving SS away, they ran multiple 20% of sales over the entire 4 year production run, but the last one was in November of ā€˜17 when my dad bought his auto SS for a smidge under $40k. All remaining cars were sticker price after that sales event and GM was unwilling to work more than a couple grand off at best with them.

I wish as I would have bought a second for myself.

NCOBX

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Well the 4L60 in my H3T made it to 75,000 miles before it blew up. The rebuild cost was $2,200. My rebuilder updated all the crappy parts GM put in it. It shifts much better now and seems more robust in 3rd gear. It's got an 8-plate clutch pack in it now vs. the 5-plate GM used.

Maybe we're even ;)
My 4l65e made it to about 140-150k on my H2 which impressed me, the GM rebuild has has a slight slip from the 2-3 shift on and off for a long time now since. Iā€™ve killed the 3-4clutch pack on a 4l60e and a 4l65e now.
Regearing put significantly less stress on the trans and I wish I had done it earlier.

NCOBX

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
I'm not trying to make this an argument and your are conversing with someone who tries buy American as much as possible and who purposefully seeks out American products (right now wearing a pair of Keen boots made in Portland Oregon). I also sourced my smart phone from Motorola Moto X when they manufactured them in Houston, Texas. Unfortunately, that facility is no longer in existence as much as the Shreveport, Louisiana GM plant that built my H3T. I also voted for the last President who was transparently pro-American manufacturing. He's now been impeached for the second time because keeping 3rd-world foreigners from illegally entering the US and forcing lower job wages was seen as being racist.

While I commend people like you and me and promote the idea of Americans consciously choosing who builds the products they buy and hope we'd all choose to support our fellow American citizens, politicians and business executives are not conscious as we are. It's unfortunate.

While the Bronco's manual transmission is a major cost component of the vehicle, and I would prefer it be manufactured in the US by Ford (vs. a foreign-owned manufacturer like Getrag) it's not. Just as I'm sure most of the electronics are full of components sourced from China. It will be interesting to see what the U.S. content of the Bronco ends up being. I do know my 1987 Ranger STX had the V6 sourced from Brazil and the transmission was made by Mazda in Japan. So a foreign-made manual transmission in a Ford product is nothing new. Just like the Dell computer I'm using was made in China... no surprise there.
Rolling over backwards and doing what everyone else does doesnā€™t make the decision any better. At least if your buying from Mexico itā€™s going to also raise the pay of competing manufacturers and reduce the reason for those people to illegally cross the border. Buying from Taiwan helps them in their seemingly never ending fight for freedom. Buying from Chinese concentration camps doesnā€™t help anyone on this earth, certainly not the victims building those parts.

Sponsored

Efthreeoh

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hummer H3T
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Iā€™m not sure where you heard GM was giving SS away, they ran multiple 20% of sales over the entire 4 year production run, but the last one was in November of ā€˜17 when my dad bought his auto SS for a smidge under $40k. All remaining cars were sticker price after that sales event and GM was unwilling to work more than a couple grand off at best with them.

I wish as I would have bought a second for myself.
I can't remember the exact timeframe, but I' sure it was the end of 2018. I have a friend who has a manual SS and he was the one encouraging me to buy an SS. IIRC the pricing from GM was near $35K at one point. I have a 170 mile daily commute and while I could afford to drive a V8, in good conscious I couldn't justify it. My daily, which just crossed 400K in December was economically forcing me to not buy the SS. Really loved the SS. I have another friend who bought the automatic version. Really a great car. Too bad GM killed off Holden as much as it killed off Hummer.

NCOBX

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
I can't remember the exact timeframe, but I' sure it was the end of 2018. I have a friend who has a manual SS and he was the one encouraging me to buy an SS. IIRC the pricing from GM was near $35K at one point. I have a 170 mile daily commute and while I could afford to drive a V8, in good conscious I couldn't justify it. My daily, which just crossed 400K in December was economically forcing me to not buy the SS. Really loved the SS. I have another friend who bought the automatic version. Really a great car. Too bad GM killed off Holden as much as it killed off Hummer.
I bought my manual in July of ā€˜17 and it was one of about 50 manuals left in the country according to what I found, several hundred automatics but very few manuals still left.

djp

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
djp
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Badlands 4dr || '21 Bronco Sport BigBend
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Other than reliability, the aftermarket pretty much lets you tune a manual however you like. I thought my GTI's 6MT was a little spongy, so I swapped in bronze end bushings ($50 and like 30 minutes to install), and voila, crisp, snappy shifts. Cable-actuated shifters have their drawbacks, but it's very easy to tune their 'feel' with bushings, short shifters, SS cables, etc.

I think the 6MT in the JL Wrangler is pretty much like any modern 6MT sporty car, just longer throws. I haven't really driven a 'bad' manual in a new car lately except the Tacoma, which just has a crap drivetrain from top to bottom. I expect the Bronco will follow trend (light effort and erring toward isolation rather than engagement, but not bad).

The only manual I've ever driven that was just head and shoulders above the rest was the Honda S2000. It was like working the action on a Sako bolt rifle.
100% agree with on your MT Tacoma comment. I bought a 2016 and got rid of it after 900 miles, it was junk! I'm 42 and have only ever owned MT, from a 1976 BMW 2002 model, to an M3 and even a few Civic's. When I got the Tacoma I wanted to cry.

I am praying Ford will make their MT right.

Chief1301

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Ford Mustang GT Premium; 1994 Bronco XLT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I gave you numbers, and you reverted to feelings. (y)
What numbers? You brought up a transmission I never mentioned, the TR-3160. And asked me to recite the difference in tolerances, and metallurgy between the Getrag MT-82 and Tremec T-56 Magnum XL. And then gave me crap because I posted my opinion about Getrag transmissions, and my transmissions failure. How is that helping anyone to know if the Getrag MT-88 is a good transmission? Do you think all the people involved in the class action lawsuit against Ford are lying, or don't know how to drive a manual? I don't think so. I think a substantial number of Getrag MT-82's are defective. I hope that isn't the case with the MT-88. I just wanted to post a word of caution. Seems like you just want to get on here and be a dick!

Sponsored

Hoofnmouth

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford focus st
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Has anyone sat in a manual bronco and felt the pedal box room,i just drove my 2018 focus st and was noticing how cramped it is with boots and size 13s.

Denny Swift

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
718 Spyder, 992 GTS, Citroen 2CV, Husky FE350
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
That made me LOL. Driving a manual with boots is like having sex with your clothes on IMHO šŸ˜Š

Laminar

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cougar
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
What numbers? You brought up a transmission I never mentioned, the TR-3160. And asked me to recite the difference in tolerances, and metallurgy between the Getrag MT-82 and Tremec T-56 Magnum XL. And then gave me crap because I posted my opinion about Getrag transmissions, and my transmissions failure.
You said:

The gen 1 MT-82 has a torque rating of 370 Lb ft. The 2011 & 2012 Coyotes put out 412 horse power and 390 Lb ft of torque stock. A few modifications to my Coyote, and my engine is at about 450 horse power, and close to 395 Lb ft of torque. That's too close for my liking.
And I pointed out why that "370lb-ft rating" doesn't mean what you think it means and has no relation to the common MT-82 failures.

As an example, I mentioned the GT350's transmission that is similarly "under-rated" and has absolutely none of the problems that the MT-82 has.
Sponsored