Has anyone driven the manual yet? Getrag MT-88

wrangler2bronco??

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
As long as they don't screw the pooch as bad as Jeep has with the manual in their JL wranglers. Second recall on them. Along with second stop sell order. I'll get a Bronco once it been out for a few years and some of the quirks have been identified and maybe even fixed. It will be a 2 door.
Sponsored

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
As long as they don't screw the pooch as bad as Jeep has with the manual in their JL wranglers. Second recall on them. Along with second stop sell order. I'll get a Bronco once it been out for a few years and some of the quirks have been identified and maybe even fixed. It will be a 2 door.
I wasn't aware of the Jeep JL clutch issue. Just reading about it, apparently one of the fixes is a software update, to limit engine power under certain conditions when high heat is generated due to slipping. Interesting. To me that seems like a bit of a band-aid approach. Leastways all my old 4x4 clutches survived just fine, without needing sensors/software to watch over them and mod the power for protection.

NCOBX

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
H2 Hummer, Holden Commodore
Your Bronco Model
Base
I wasn't aware of the Jeep JL clutch issue. Just reading about it, apparently one of the fixes is a software update, to limit engine power under certain conditions when high heat is generated due to slipping. Interesting. To me that seems like a bit of a band-aid approach. Leastways all my old 4x4 clutches survived just fine, without needing sensors/software to watch over them and mod the power for protection.
I’m not defending Jeep, because I think it is very shoddy that they build a manual trans too weak to perform its intended duty and bandaid fix it.
But we’ve been doing the same with automatics for a good 20 years now.

Denny Swift

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
718 Spyder, 992 GTS, Citroen 2CV, Husky FE350
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Must not be from a state that gets a lot of snow I assume? Lol
Seriously, if the gas and brake pedals are spaced far enough apart that boots don’t interfere, then they will be way too far apart for heel-toe downshifting. Plus, you can’t feel the clutch engagement with boots. There is lots of mud and snow here, but I never drive my cars with boots. If I need boots, I put them on at the trail head and take them off when I return to the vehicle. I really, really hope they don’t space the pedals for boots!

HotdogThud

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
mk6 gti, '21 MoarDoor
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I'll never own another vehicle with a Getrag transmission.
Sucks that you've had such a bad experience with them. Speaking from my own experience, I've had nothing but pure joy from the getrag in my 335i. it is truly one of the biggest things I will miss about the car when it's gone, and hands down the best manual transmission I've ever had.

*edit* I suck and have apparently led you all astray, it's a ZF, not a Getrag.

Last edited:

Sponsored

JT58Bronc

Base
First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco, 2021 Miata track Edition
Your Bronco Model
Base
I had a 2018 Mustang GT and I thought the MT-82 transmission shifted great. It felt very similar to the 6 speed manual on my previous 2016 Miata ND. That Miata had the best shifting manual I have ever driven- rifle bolt precision.

If the manual on the Bronco feels anything like the Mustang GT, should be nothing to worry about.

The_Phew

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 2.3L 7MT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Sucks that you've had such a bad experience with them. Speaking from my own experience, I've had nothing but pure joy from the getrag in my 335i. it is truly one of the biggest things I will miss about the car when it's gone, and hands down the best manual transmission I've ever had.
Must be a subjective thing, because I thought my F30 had the most rubbery, lifeless manual I've ever driven in a 'sporty' car. I turned in the lease 6 months early just to get away from that awful steering/shifter. I once test drove a 6th gen 6MT Camaro right after driving my F30, and guess which one actually drove like a BMW? Hint, it wasn't the BMW. And the Camaro doesn't even have a great 6MT.

Chief1301

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Ford Mustang GT Premium; 1994 Bronco XLT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Glad you had good luck with your Getrag. But most likely the Getrag in your BMW wasn't made in China? What model Getrag was it? It cost me a lot to put a Tremec T-56 in my Mustang, but so far I'm loving it! It's like night & day. Shifts so nice and smooth. Much better than the Getrag MT82. No loose slop, from the remote shifter, even though it was an MGW Shifter. No notchy shifts, no 2nd gear lockout. The Tremec is great!

MaverickMan

Black Diamond
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 bronco sport 91 comanche eliminator 93 v8 zj
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Seriously, if the gas and brake pedals are spaced far enough apart that boots don’t interfere, then they will be way too far apart for heel-toe downshifting. Plus, you can’t feel the clutch engagement with boots. There is lots of mud and snow here, but I never drive my cars with boots. If I need boots, I put them on at the trail head and take them off when I return to the vehicle. I really, really hope they don’t space the pedals for boots!
I almost exclusively wear boots. Never been a problem clutching from 3 speeds to 15. Gas, diesel, and propane. On road or off. Fast or slow. Of course I only ever use the clutch about half the time im driving. Really only need it for hills and starts.
Also my favorite trans I ever shifted was either the toploader 4 speed in my 67 Cougar or the 5 speed in Freightliner boxtruck I used to drive. I made runs in the snow in that rig that would make the Bandits Mont Eagle run look like a merry go round.

HotdogThud

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
mk6 gti, '21 MoarDoor
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Glad you had good luck with your Getrag. But most likely the Getrag in your BMW wasn't made in China? What model Getrag was it? It cost me a lot to put a Tremec T-56 in my Mustang, but so far I'm loving it! It's like night & day. Shifts so nice and smooth. Much better than the Getrag MT82. No loose slop, from the remote shifter, even though it was an MGW Shifter. No notchy shifts, no 2nd gear lockout. The Tremec is great!
well shit, I appear to have been talking out of my ass. could've sworn it was a getrag unit, but apparently it's the same ZF that goes into the M2/3/4

RIP getrag. lol

Sponsored

I3lackRose

Banned
Big Bend
Banned
Banned
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

My 7MT has been deemed "Unsafe" to drive by the dealer. I'm in a loaner until at least late March-April. The scraping noise issues hundreds of us are having got more constant and louder. 2nd gear started grinding itself while already in gear. Randomly started high reving while in 2nd as well.

There are currently no fixes for these issues. TSB 22-2371 is ineffective is all attempted cases thus far, new 7MTs are driving off the lot with the issue and replacement transmission as well.

I would stay away from these for now.

BlueBronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 F150 KR - '21 BL - 23' OBX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
My 7MT has been deemed "Unsafe" to drive by the dealer.
That sucks and I hope you get it fixed soon but there are probably more relevant threads with more up-to-date information. Before today, the last response to this thread was 727 days ago.
(<--self appointed dead thread police)

I3lackRose

Banned
Big Bend
Banned
Banned
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

There weren’t enough MT threads that you had to search for and revive one from 2021?