Laminar

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cougar
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I adamantly disagree! The gen 1 MT-82 has a torque rating of 370 Lb ft. The 2011 & 2012 Coyotes put out 412 horse power and 390 Lb ft of torque stock. A few modifications to my Coyote, and my engine is at about 450 horse power, and close to 395 Lb ft of torque. That's too close for my liking. The Tremec T-56 Magnum XL that will be installed in my Mustang next week will handle 800 horse power and 700 Lb ft of torque. That's more like it!
OEM torque ratings aren't the same as aftermarket torque ratings.

The 3160 is rated to 405ft-lb with the 3.25 first gear. The GT350 makes 429ft-lb stock.

By that logic the 3160 is already too weak for a stock GT350 where in reality, it has zero problems handling that torque, same as the MT-82.

The torque ratings listed in marketing materials for aftermarket components don't come from the same set of constraints as the OEM ratings, so they're not comparable.
Sponsored

Rogues Gambit

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ram Rebel, '07 A4 Quattro
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

My 2018 gt benefited greatly with just the Steeda clutch pedal spring and perch.
That would of been my plan. Wonder if they'll make some parts for the Bronco as well, well whatever they can that is

OP
OP
Sampsonrustic

Sampsonrustic

Base
First Name
Sampson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Base
Cool video showing some of the differences between a t56 magnum (tremec) and an mt82 (getrag) for anyone interested

MT82 and T56

Chief1301

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Ford Mustang GT Premium; 1994 Bronco XLT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

OEM torque ratings aren't the same as aftermarket torque ratings.

The 3160 is rated to 405ft-lb with the 3.25 first gear. The GT350 makes 429ft-lb stock.

By that logic the 3160 is already too weak for a stock GT350 where in reality, it has zero problems handling that torque, same as the MT-82.

The torque ratings listed in marketing materials for aftermarket components don't come from the same set of constraints as the OEM ratings, so they're not comparable.
No matter what you think, I'm speaking from experience. I'll be spending $7,000 dollars to replace the transmission in my Mustang that only has 46,000 miles on it! Thats just wrong! In my opinion, the MT-82 is a piece of junk! Maybe I got a bad one? But the class action lawsuit against Ford says otherwise! I'll never own another vehicle with a Getrag transmission.

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I've driven 3 on the tree in trucks and cars and loved them all. I think the slickest was a 56 Chevy. Like butter. I learned to drive a stick when I was 12 years old. A 63 Ford one ton dump bed (green of course) that had lost what synchronizers it had way before I got ahold of it. I certainly didn't do it any favors. Manuals in all sort of Fords, Chevys, Toyotas, Nissans, plus vehicles I've probably forgotten.

This transmission doesn't scare me and I doubt it does to anyone seriously planning to get a manual. If it breaks, it can be fixed. It won't be the first transmission to go tits up.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Laminar

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cougar
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
No matter what you think, I'm speaking from experience.
Great! Could you outline for us your experience with the TR-3160? Oh, okay. Could you then discuss some details on the effects of tolerance stackup in multi-component mechanical design? No? Okay, well surely you can run us though all of your experience in the metallurgy of gearsets for power transmission. Nothing?

Oh, you mean that your gears went crunchy crunchy and you're grumpy about it? That kind of experience? Gotcha.

Chief1301

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Great! Could you outline for us your experience with the TR-3160? Oh, okay. Could you then discuss some details on the effects of tolerance stackup in multi-component mechanical design? No? Okay, well surely you can run us though all of your experience in the metallurgy of gearsets for power transmission. Nothing?

Oh, you mean that your gears went crunchy crunchy and you're grumpy about it? That kind of experience? Gotcha.
Never said anything about the TR-3160. I don't have a GT350, do you? Did your gears go crunchy, crunchy? Cause my MT-82 went KA-Boom! And dumped transmission oil all over the freeway on my way to work, down shifting from 6th gear to 5th gear to avoid and get around another car changing lanes. So I say the tolerances and metallurgy of my Getrag MT-82 were shit! Seems like the thing is made of pot metal and Tiffany Chrystal! I'm not grumpy.. I'm fucking pissed 😡! So don't ask me stupid fucking questions!

jdub.csu

Badlands
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Subaru Forester, 2020 Honda, 2015 Mustang GT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Well it’s made by getrag, just like in the mustangs. And it’s supposedly completely different from the one in the mustangs that is currently the subject of a class action lawsuit. I’m hoping it’s a much better unit and has none of the shift issues other getrag ones have had
I’ve driven a road races and auto crossed mustang MT82 since 2015 with 30K in track miles and road miles. Most of the failures are people that don’t know how to drive manuals imho. .

Sponsored

Hoofnmouth

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford focus st
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Cool video showing some of the differences between a t56 magnum (tremec) and an mt82 (getrag) for anyone interested

MT82 and T56
Good video i have the T56 in my cobra,love it multiple shifter options,kinda notchy,beat it mercisily and still asks for more.

Raced a guy when i was in h.s.,we were at a light it turns green he dumps clutch and it explodes.

It was a gto big block clutct /flywheel seriously hurt drivers gfs foot and flew into a crowded wendys parking lot scary stuff.

They are expensive and a pain to set up but i use a scattershield now on my stuff.

Efthreeoh

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hummer H3T
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Tremecs are way better Transmissions. That's why Ford put the Tremec in the GT 350, Chevy put them in Corvettes and Camaros, and Dodge puts them in Challengers. Most high end performance cars with manual transmissions are Tremecs.
Eh, I have 4 cars sitting outside right now, all have Getrag transmissions. Total combined miles is over 815,000. Not one transmission problem. All are driven very agressively.

Chief1301

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Eh, I have 4 cars sitting outside right now, all have Getrag transmissions. Total combined miles is over 815,000. Not one transmission problem. All are driven very agressively.
I'm happy for you. I wasn't so lucky.

NCOBX

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
H2 Hummer, Holden Commodore
Your Bronco Model
Base
Getrags are german engineered, manufactured in China. Tremecs are mexican engineered and manufactured. Almost comparing apples to oranges here. I trust german quality standards more than mexico's, but all it takes is one fly to ruin a batch of ointment. I've seen manufacturing in Mexico, and have heard first hand accounts of Chinese manufacturing plants from co-workers. I don't believe one is better than the other.
My Tremec 6060 was manufactured in the United States, which is where the Broncos trans should have been built.