Sponsored

Has Anyone Installed a Cargo Area Security Enclosure?

Jim Walter

Badlands
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I ordered and recieved the one without the removable lid. Same setup as in my 2015 JKU. It works great for me. Added interior light strip, tied into overhead lights, to come on when door opens. Use the bottom for tools, recovery gear, etc. Top is for lighter clothing bags, coolers, and such for trips, other overflow or quick access items. All I need now is a BRONCO to install it in.

OP
OP
Rubicon 2 Badlands

Rubicon 2 Badlands

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 JKU Rubicon / 2021 Bronco: Badlands/Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Iā€˜m not exactly sure with the Bronco, but I know on my Wrangler the interior door unlock button is disabled after a short time after the vehicle is locked. The means the only way to get into the cargo area would be by unblocking from the fob or with the physical key in the exterior tumbler.

Pushing the unblock button inside the vehicle will have no effect.
That will be great if that is the set up. Need to test that. Thanks!

BroncoBurgerWithCheese

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco Black Diamond; Jeep Grand Chero; BMW X5M
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
So does the top lid come off easily from the inside if you need to carry something higher than the lid? Or do you have to unbolt it? I'm thinking even just taking the family for a beach weekend, I'd need to take the lid off to get the suitcases in there.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Rubicon 2 Badlands

Rubicon 2 Badlands

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 JKU Rubicon / 2021 Bronco: Badlands/Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So does the top lid come off easily from the inside if you need to carry something higher than the lid? Or do you have to unbolt it? I'm thinking even just taking the family for a beach weekend, I'd need to take the lid off to get the suitcases in there.
It looks like the top does come off, as it is the last part installed on the system. Not sure if there are bolts involved with the lid. The posted video shows that, just cannot remember.

BigMex

Badlands
First Name
Ezra
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 White Ford Bronco (moar door, 7spd, lux)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I installed this on mine and also had some scratches from the box. Luckily my scratches were on the side that goes against the interior walls. Biggest issue I had was the on bracket hole was off probably a 1/2 inch. Had to drill a new hole to make it fit. Otherwise I like it for the security with a softtop.
I was just trying to install mine tonight and the same thing happened to meā€¦ I discovered the holes in the smaller brackets were off by about 1/2 inch.
Do you regret making your own fix? Iā€™m leery of the time and trouble to get replacement parts.

Greens05

Badlands
First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep TJ, BMW 335xi
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I was just trying to install mine tonight and the same thing happened to meā€¦ I discovered the holes in the smaller brackets were off by about 1/2 inch.
Do you regret making your own fix? Iā€™m leery of the time and trouble to get replacement parts.
No regrets. I only had to redrill holes on the one side bracket. Simple enough fix as it is pretty apparent where the holes need to go. Like you I didn't want to bother with sending back and waiting for a replacement.

I did notify my dealer to let them know and sent pictures of both the shipping damage as well as the required fix so that hopefully the issue can be addressed if it is more widespread. Dealer claimed they would share with the appropriate contact at Ford.

Perfect-Beast-2

Black Diamond
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1973 F100 / 1980 F150 Stepside / 2019 F150 Lariat
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Man, that is exactly what Iā€™m looking for. Do you happen to have the part number handy for that, and also, any chance a set of golf clubs will fit inside the enclosure? Asking for a friendā€¦..
I have this on my BD, dealer installed. Couple problems: there is a rubber edging in the outside edge of the lid which interfered with the tailgate mounted table. Kept falling off, so I removed it. I know minor. The other issues are that the sides of the enclosure cover up the small storage areas built into the sides of the truck. Dealer sealed my tie down straps in there. Also, the back part doesnā€™t seem to fold down. So having the seats fold down is useless. Nothing that a sawzall canā€™t fix, but the design is not thought out.

Bonnie6G

Badlands
First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands LuxSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I have this on my BD, dealer installed. Couple problems: there is a rubber edging in the outside edge of the lid which interfered with the tailgate mounted table. Kept falling off, so I removed it. I know minor. The other issues are that the sides of the enclosure cover up the small storage areas built into the sides of the truck. Dealer sealed my tie down straps in there. Also, the back part doesnā€™t seem to fold down. So having the seats fold down is useless. Nothing that a sawzall canā€™t fix, but the design is not thought out.
Thanks for the info. So it is possible to have both the enclosure and the tailgate table? You mentioned you took off the rubber stripping - is there room for thinner stripping? My concern is rattling/bumping/scratching/noise between the two. Any issues there since youā€™ve taken it off?

Sponsored

Hhanselman

Badlands
First Name
Heather
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco 2021
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
My question is ā€” does one have to install the back? I like being able to put my seats down and access the trunk area. If the seats are back one canā€™t quickly access the trunk area. I get that it will not be secure. But would it work and have the lid be stable.

Perfect-Beast-2

Black Diamond
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1973 F100 / 1980 F150 Stepside / 2019 F150 Lariat
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

My question is ā€” does one have to install the back? I like being able to put my seats down and access the trunk area. If the seats are back one canā€™t quickly access the trunk area. I get that it will not be secure. But would it work and have the lid be stable.
I didnā€™t install the enclosure, the dealer did, so Iā€™m not 100% sure. But hereā€™s what I saw. The back is bolted to the sides, on the truck side of the side piece, but the sides are bolted to the floor where the standard attachment points are. The hinge and pneumatic lifts are attached to the sides. So, ā€œprobablyā€ the back could be left out.

Seanette

Badlands
First Name
Seanette
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Dodge Dart, 2022 Badlands pending
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I did and didn't like it. I had the one where the top lifts up. Only problem is that the lid catches on the metal opener so it barely lifts up. I got the rough country storage box and like it. Has tons of space in it, leaves about 6" on the bottom so you can get into the tiny trunk storage and comes with a heavy duty rubber mat for the top to put stuff on

1636200685138.png
@Bob Blaylock, should we maybe consider this alternative?

Seanette

Badlands
First Name
Seanette
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Dodge Dart, 2022 Badlands pending
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Thanks for the link. Ford doesnā€™t list the dimensions on that page, so Iā€™d be curious how much gap is between the sides & seats of the bronco and the walls of the cage. Iā€™m sure the full rear dimensions are out here somewhere for me to compare. Itā€™s funny that of all the things Iā€™m most concerned about, fitting a set of golf clubs is top of the list!
Makes sense to me, if that's something you'll be carrying a lot. I'm not into golf myself, but I understand the clubs can get pricy.

My husband and I are concerned about securing his toolboxes and other work equipment.

Bob Blaylock

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Dodge Dart
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I did and didn't like it. I had the one where the top lifts up. Only problem is that the lid catches on the metal opener so it barely lifts up. I got the rough country storage box and like it. Has tons of space in it, leaves about 6" on the bottom so you can get into the tiny trunk storage and comes with a heavy duty rubber mat for the top to put stuff on

1636200685138.png
@Bob Blaylock, should we maybe consider this alternative?
No.

Judging from the picture, it massively reduces the usable cargo area. I have no doubt that my tools would fit in the cargo area under the enclosure we currently intend.

I am about equally sure that my tools would not fit in that box.

Also, that would block access to the safe that I intend to install below it.
Sponsored