Sponsored

Has anyone seen what the new MIC roof looks like?

Tilzbow

Badlands
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GM Sierra Diesel Pick Up
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I am absolutely convinced that the MIC Top 2.0 prototype is built and being tested as we speak. The question is will the MIC 2.0 be produced (quality and quantity) for dirt mountain builds and FE's that were scheduled this week for September?;)We will see in a short two weeks.
Exactly!

To add, late stage prototypes using the actual new tooling were more than likely being built and tested in July and weeks before Ford sent out the announcement on August 13. The solution to the bad tops was likely in the works before or shortly after volume production even begin on the old, bad version. Realistically this is the only way Ford would have the new version available in October. At least this is what my 28 years of manufacturing experience would indicate given I lived through several similar situations during my career.

Now for this to happen there probably isn’t room for error but I suspect even Ford C level management finally hedged their expectations after so many set backs. At least that’s what I would’ve done.
Sponsored

Bronco4lyfe85

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Challenger Scat Pack
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

swooshdave

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

According to another poster here the original MIC top design was fine in the prototype phase but Webasto management jumped in (perhaps at Ford direction) and told them to cut 30% of the material which led to the problems we see.

If true maybe they’re just reverting back to their original design
Here's another theory, they keep bouncing against the GVWR and were hoping a lighter top would help.

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
I've heard about the improvements to the outer surface and edges, but has anyone heard about improvements to the interior surface?

rdass623

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road, Fiat 124 Abarth
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

my opinion is there will be no redesign. there will be a thicker outer skin. the edges should be sealed better. most importantly i think they will have spent much more time training employees of the plant how to PROPERLY assemble the tops. from the pictures i saw of the earlier produced tops, it did not look like the line workers were good at their jobs. the quality of the produced products would have embarrassed most chinese sweat shops.

Sponsored

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

That would be so heavy and have no reason to enjoy removing it
I like the current design, but having owned two 1st gen K5s, and several later gen K5s, it wouldn’t be an issue if you want to go topless.

timhood

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Several
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
LOL. Wrong.
OK. 😁

I suppose they've been working super hard and have not only completed the re-engineering CAD drawings, had them reviewed and accepted, sent to the manufacturer which in turn already made all of the new tooling equipment, shipped it to the plant, had it installed and they are already producing prototypes. I mean it seems impressively fast to me, but what do I know? 💀

Rlack75

Badlands
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Exactly!

To add, late stage prototypes using the actual new tooling were more than likely being built and tested in July and weeks before Ford sent out the announcement on August 13. The solution to the bad tops was likely in the works before or shortly after volume production even begin on the old, bad version. Realistically this is the only way Ford would have the new version available in October. At least this is what my 28 years of manufacturing experience would indicate given I lived through several similar situations during my career.

Now for this to happen there probably isn’t room for error but I suspect even Ford C level management finally hedged their expectations after so many set backs. At least that’s what I would’ve done.
👆🏼👆🏼This guy 👆🏼👆🏼 👍🏻

Rrpilot

First Edition
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco First Edition
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
I don't see how it would be possible to have even a prototype at this point. The new top will be a ground-up redesign with all new tooling for manufacturing. Many people think the October estimate for production is aggressive.

I wouldn't expect painted top options any sooner as those are a different material/process and Ford has its hands full with getting caught up with the MIC, so there's no real likelihood they would plan to produce the painted top options any sooner than they have announced.
Where do you get this nonsense, Ford clearly stated they are only modifying the current MIC top and changing to rolled edges. Posts like this is what gets people all riled up.

Last edited:

Bronc-O

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lincoln Aviator
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
It could just be the outer layer that's thicker, and the honeycomb is thinner in which they could reuse a lot of the tooling and jigs. Or slight modifications. Think of it as a sandwich and the top slice is thicker, the filling thinner but the overall height the same.

One thing we can expect is a slight increase in weight.
When they say thicker, it's likely something like 1mm, not 1/4 inch.

Sponsored

Bronc-O

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lincoln Aviator
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Where do you get this nonsense, Ford clearly stated they are only modifying the current MIC top and changing to rolled edges. Posts like this is was gets people all riled up.
That's why so many threads are a total waste. Some state speculation as though they have facts to back up what they say, but don't. There are only a handful here that I would put any trust in what they write.

WuNgUn

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 door Squatched
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

That's why so many threads are a total waste. Some state speculation as though they have facts to back up what they say, but don't. There are only a handful here that I would put any trust in what they write.
Exactly... An awful lot of optimistic people on here thinking ford is already testing a new top. It's been 1 week since Ford's announcement that it'll take 8 weeks before 2.0 is ready for production.
Put another way, if you don't currently have a VIN, YOU'RE STILL GOING TO BE A MY22!
Personally, I'm just looking forward to the new B&P 🤷
I know the new top isn't revolutionizing anything. And it won't be here anytime soon.

Bob 07064

Base
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
02 4x4 ranger, '17 edge 2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

When they say thicker, it's likely something like 1mm, not 1/4 inch.
Yup, in the world of injection plastics 1mm is all it takes to go from shit to sensational! If be curious what the overall weight difference is between v1 and v2?