Sponsored

Has anyone switched from a 4Runner to a Bronco?

Hkak45

Black Diamond
First Name
K
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

More reliable? Has your Bronco failed you and left you stranded yet?
Yes, indeed it has. On a rainy day my electronics glitched out and shut off my bronco. Warning lights all over the dash and would not start. Also have to still schedule my recall appointment for cracked driveshaft boot, steering wheel cover crack, and am on my second hard top.

I absolutely love my bronco and I'm fine with all these things as my dealer has been perfect with helping fix all issues but it ain't a 4runner and it will not last as long as my 4runner I can guarantee that. So back to my original post, the 4runner is more reliable than the bronco (as I have both and can compare them). I'm a diehard Ford guy but Toyota 4runner is the most reliable SUV out there period.
Sponsored

OP
OP
DBC Offroad

DBC Offroad

Raptor
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'23 Raptor & '21 4Runner TRD OR
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
I actually have both a 2021 4runner trd off road and a 2023 base sasquatch 4 door with the v6 and a hard top.

I don't know how you would compare them.. they are only similar in that they are both 4 door offroad vehicles.

The bronco fit and finish is trash. It feels like a cheap car. 30k base makes sense. That said it's so much fun to take the roof off and go drive in the mud/dirt/etc. The modularity, the fact you can swap so much and it's basically built to let you come in and bolt on anything you want, modify anything, it FEELS that way in the best way. It's almost like a very expensive Lego set that I can drive. I am worried that the electronics, the unproven v6 and the problems everyone seems to have will plague mine the same as many others. I already anticipate needing a hard top replaced. It's garbage. That said it's a big fun brick that I get excited to drive.

The 4runner has a v6 from 2006 basically and it's bulletproof. It doesn't feel right to modify, it feels like you're taking something good and messing with it. It's very comfortable, I like that I can pick up friends for a nice dinner and feel like I'm in a nice vehicle. The bronco is not that. I would not take it to pick up clients/friends/etc. The 4runner feels SOLID in a way that I don't worry about a wreck. I know it will go 800k miles with just regular oil changes and love when things get wonky. I plan on having my 4runner forever. I will have my bronco until I get bored and want something new, like a ranger raptor.

Any other specifics I'm happy to share. They are different animals. If I had to pick one, honestly, the 4runner. I can use it MORE places. It will NEVER be as fun as my Bronco, but it is much more useful in more situations.
thanks
I actually have both a 2021 4runner trd off road and a 2023 base sasquatch 4 door with the v6 and a hard top.

I don't know how you would compare them.. they are only similar in that they are both 4 door offroad vehicles.

The bronco fit and finish is trash. It feels like a cheap car. 30k base makes sense. That said it's so much fun to take the roof off and go drive in the mud/dirt/etc. The modularity, the fact you can swap so much and it's basically built to let you come in and bolt on anything you want, modify anything, it FEELS that way in the best way. It's almost like a very expensive Lego set that I can drive. I am worried that the electronics, the unproven v6 and the problems everyone seems to have will plague mine the same as many others. I already anticipate needing a hard top replaced. It's garbage. That said it's a big fun brick that I get excited to drive.

The 4runner has a v6 from 2006 basically and it's bulletproof. It doesn't feel right to modify, it feels like you're taking something good and messing with it. It's very comfortable, I like that I can pick up friends for a nice dinner and feel like I'm in a nice vehicle. The bronco is not that. I would not take it to pick up clients/friends/etc. The 4runner feels SOLID in a way that I don't worry about a wreck. I know it will go 800k miles with just regular oil changes and love when things get wonky. I plan on having my 4runner forever. I will have my bronco until I get bored and want something new, like a ranger raptor.

Any other specifics I'm happy to share. They are different animals. If I had to pick one, honestly, the 4runner. I can use it MORE places. It will NEVER be as fun as my Bronco, but it is much more useful in more situations.
Thanks for the info.
Thats too bad about the fit and finish. I’m getting the Lux with hardtop and was hoping it would be significantly nicer than the 4Runner basic interior.

It might be. I haven't actually ridden in anything longer than 15 minutes beyond my base. The "cheap" I refer to is hard to place... like, ever just notice plastic feels more plastic than others? The doors feel hollow, but that's what makes them light. The roof feels cheaper than a kids play pool, but that's what makes it so easy to manage. It's this wild contrast of it's just adequate but if it were nicer it would detract from the fun ideas of taking it all off and driving on a beach.

I really want to stress, I absolutely, 110% love this bronco. I can't wait to drive it every single time I take it. I caught myself just finding reasons to go run errands. I can't wait to meet up with others and go off roading. It's hands down the most fun car I've ever owned, and I have had a wrangler, but this is just beyond words. I like our toyota and if I had to pick I'd pick that over the two, but I don't have to and with that comes a really, really fun bronco.

Ask me again in a year. I'll still have both.
awesome. Appreciate the response! Glad to hear you still love it.

Jdc

Badlands
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

BUT I will say that I've been patiently waiting for Toyota to release a new generation 4Runner since 2017... and there is a good chance I still would be waiting if Ford had not announced the Bronco.
I was in the exact same boat. Even the same year!

OP
OP
DBC Offroad

DBC Offroad

Raptor
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
It’s still a little too early to say. I’m in the process of modifying the Bronco similar to the 4Runner. It just doesn’t feel solid. I did the JKS Max clearance kit to run 37’s and that front crash bar was like cutting an aluminum can. It looks massive on the truck until you cut it and see only one small section is even attached to the frame. I got terrible gas mileage in the 4Runner. 9.4mpg with the supercharger and 4.56 gears on 35’s. I’m in the process of doing the suspension now on the Bronco but I am only getting 11mpg avg with stock setup and I don’t even drive it hard.
11.9 mpg in the supercharged 4R.
I was curious about the modded Bronco mpgs. I’ll have to check back with you after some time. See what you think.

Dadsquatch

Outer Banks
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I came from a 2016 4Runner to a 2022 Bronco High Package OBX. I enjoy driving the Bronco 100% more. The 4Runner was definitely a bigger vehicle, in both width & length so there was more cargo space and backseat a bit bigger. The acceleration and turning radius on the 4Runner was atrocious. I never took the 4Runner off-road, so can’t compare that, but take the Bronco off-road all the time now and it’s made me want to. Everyone that’s been in my Bronco has only said nice things about the interior and how nice it is.

Sponsored

KABQ

Base
First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'93 4Runner, '84 Vanagon, '93 Miata, '14 LittleGuy
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Not exactly the answer you're looking for, but I switched from 2nd Gen (1993) and couldn't be happier. I still miss it, though.

PXL_20221013_201629217.jpg

JerryC

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
I have both now. 4R is a 21 Venture, essentially an ORP with Pro wheels and black accents.

As others have said:
4R, build quality, ride, noise, comfort, really old tech, weak engine, 5 spd trans. Current 4R has 12 years of production and all the issues are ironed out.

IMHO, the 4R's weakness is that it is not exciting. It makes its money being steady and reliable.

Bronco is new and exciting.

msh03046

Badlands
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco, 2016 550i, 2002 4Runner Sport
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I'll be sticking with both for a long while. That 3rd Gen T4R is my baby, but the Bronco has been a favorite since I was a kid (Dad had a 1st gen).

PXL_20221218_162015185.jpg

PXL_20220917_222624302.jpg

AZ_BRONC

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘17 4Runner, ‘16 BMW 328i, ‘96 Stang GT, ‘19 Mini
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I actually had a 2012 Jeep Jk 4door. It was one of my favorite vehicles. I'm tall so the headroom was awful though, much worse with the JLs because my head touches the sound bar. We all spend more time onroad than offroad, so the solid axle Jeep was just draining to drive long distance.

Thanks for the info!
I was going to answer your 4Runner question as I traded in my 2017 4Runner for my 2022 SAS OBX with high package, modular bumper and aux switches. Before the 4Runner I had Wranglers, and way back in the 80’s had a couple Broncos.

I couldn’t be happier after 10,000 miles in the Bronco. I’ve had zero issues, and it’s been the funnest vehicle I’ve owned. I of course have no idea how badly the long term reliability will be compared to the trusty Toyota. This is where 4Runner most likely excels. But for me the Bronco beats it in every other category. Better looking, better tech, more comfortable to drive city and highway, more comfortable seats and interior space, flexibility, upgradability, doors off/top off…even gas mileage is a mpg better. I noticed you’re in Nevada…I’m in Arizona and my SAS is way funner in the sun and capable in the desert.

As for the Wrangler…this Bronco so far beats them all in everything except rock crawling (maybe) but is a better overall off-roader when you add in over landing, camping, Baja running, and honestly most importantly how great it is on the paved drive to the trails.

I’m 6’1” and I keep mentioning to my wife the size, exterior and interior, just seems designed for me. Headroom is incredible even with my Bimini top always on. I haven’t done much to it yet aside from Baja fogs, hood and soft top struts, PPF, and some interior protective upgrades and exterior cosmetic upgrades. I do plan on upgrading the audio soon, but my Wranglers and 4Runner sucked in that area too.

Bottom line is a 4Runner is an attractive, dependable wifey and the Bronco is a fun, hot girlfriend. But you’re not getting married to a vehicle. Go from there and you’ll figure it out.

Sponsored

Tex

Wildtrak
First Name
Cliff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Went from a 2006 V6 4runner to a 2006 V8 4runner, then a 2007 Taco tube frame/LT desert truck, then to the Bronco. I used to be a big fan of the 4runner/Tacoma line and honestly thought it was the best option out there for an offroad/overlanding/daily driver for over a decade now. I can't attest to what kind of quality you'd get from a Bronco made recently, but my 21 build doesn't have any of the issues people complain about here.

Toyota is pretty much a decade behind in every aspect on their vehicles...they figure out something that works and they just don't change it. I checked out the new Sequoia TRD pro a few months ago, and the interior might as well have been my 2006 4runner, it even shared some of the same buttons. If I wanted the same stuff that my 2006 had, I'd be looking at used cars with used car prices, not brand new off the lot prices.

The 4runner is kind of a pig when it comes to acceleration even with the V8 (the newer V6's are sluggish too, even with a pedal commander), it has heavy but twitchy steering, and has more body roll than a SAS Bronco with the swaybar removed entirely. Toyota seats are the most uncomfortable seats I've ever been in, and that includes original Willys MB seats. Couple that with really limited leg room and the constant need to keep it pointing forward, it's downright uncomfortable to drive long distances. I've had all three Toyotas let me down and leave me stranded in a multitude of ways, including engine failure. Fit and finish, no match, Toyota interior panels look great until you remove them for the first time, and then they never look quite right again. Mechanically, fit and finish on the Toyota seems to be on par with the Bronco from what I've tinkered around with. Everything feels like plastic in both vehicles, because they actually ARE plastic. I've had the dash, A-pillars, interior panels, and tailgate completely disassembled on the Bronco several times and they still look and feel like they haven't been touched.

Offroad, the 4runners feel like they shouldn't be there until you replace every Toyota suspension component with something else instead. Mid travel suspension, I'd place the 4runner just below a stock Bronco. It's not until you really start modifying Toyotas with LT suspensions that their offroad performance starts to shine. I've already taken the Bronco places I would never take any of the 4runners I've had, partially because the 4runner wouldn't have made it to begin with. 4runners are very similar to the Broncos in that a good suspension will absolutely kill your wallet.

The extra room in the 4runner is really only relevant if you actually need it on a regular basis, and since it's more of a midsized vehicle, there's a lot of times when all that space is just not big enough anyway. 95% of the time you won't be using that space, but you're carrying it everywhere and paying the price of having it available. I have a 2dr and two kids, that was the entire reason for buying a 4runner way back when, and now that they can get in and out on their own, the extra doors and extra space is no longer important. I honestly don't care that they have no doors of their own. Can't get rid of the extra doors on a 4runner unless you go WAY back in time. I still have enough room in the 2dr to fit everything I've historically loaded in the 4runner.

As for on-road manners, my wife was driving the V8 4runner (she loved her 4runners) when we got the Bronco, and I'd let her and the kids take it if I didn't need to go anywhere. It wasn't long before the 4runner started collecting dust...she was getting used to how nice the Bronco drove and ended up enjoying it a lot more. We'd been driving Toyotas for so long that we got used to their lackluster handling and feel. If she had her way, we'd have two Broncos and no Toyotas. She eventually conned me into an expedition to replace the 4runner. Still keeping the Taco, it's my baby and it'll have an LS swap eventually.

Rjacks258

Wildtrak
First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco, 2019 Ford F250, 2009 Ford Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Yes, indeed it has. On a rainy day my electronics glitched out and shut off my bronco. Warning lights all over the dash and would not start. Also have to still schedule my recall appointment for cracked driveshaft boot, steering wheel cover crack, and am on my second hard top.

I absolutely love my bronco and I'm fine with all these things as my dealer has been perfect with helping fix all issues but it ain't a 4runner and it will not last as long as my 4runner I can guarantee that. So back to my original post, the 4runner is more reliable than the bronco (as I have both and can compare them). I'm a diehard Ford guy but Toyota 4runner is the most reliable SUV out there period.
Well, I feel for you. You are one of the few with issues. I hope we never get there. But comparing reliability with a 3 model year vehicle with a just about 40 year old one, isn’t really fair, is it? Get back to me in 2060 and see if Bronco is still here and reliable or not.

Tex

Wildtrak
First Name
Cliff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Well, I feel for you. You are one of the few with issues. I hope we never get there. But comparing reliability with a 3 model year vehicle with a just about 40 year old one, isn’t really fair, is it? Get back to me in 2060 and see if Bronco is still here and reliable or not.
If we're going that route, shouldn't the Bronco be considered at least a 34 year old vehicle, and quite a bit more if you include its hiatus between 96 and 21? It's not like the 4runner has been the same model and unchanged for 40 years either (closer to 50, actually), though it does kinda feel like it.

Reliability has surprisingly little to do with how long a vehicle has been made. My dad bought a new Chevy truck a few years back and had it in the shop three times due to pushrod failure, eventually getting an entirely new engine, had the transmission replaced after several visits to the shop for repair, and Chevy has been making trucks for how long? He bought a new Corvette about the same time and it spent 8 months out of the first year he owned it in the shop getting things fixed under warranty. He literally bought two brand new vehicles and still had to borrow one of my vehicles to get around town for a while. But you ask just about anyone else with a Chevy and they'll tell you it's been super reliable. All manufacturers go bottom dollar for everything they can, all manufacturers have about the same QC and use more or less the same parts, all manufacturers are going to give you about the same reliability in the end. If you pay attention to the numbers instead of a vocal few, brand means very little today when you factor in your odds of getting a good vehicle or a lemon off the lot. It's like choosing which scratch off ticket to buy based on what your odds of winning the jackpot are, and you factored your odds by talking to the cashier and a few of your friends. If you were to ask me what I thought of Toyota, I'd tell you that my experience with their reliability has been rather poor, but that's not indicative of the average Toyota. If I bought another Toyota my chances of getting a good one are pretty high, if I bought a Chevy my chances would be high, but then again, my chances of buying any vehicle and getting a good one is pretty high. Brand loyalty is dead.

OP
OP
DBC Offroad

DBC Offroad

Raptor
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
I was going to answer your 4Runner question as I traded in my 2017 4Runner for my 2022 SAS OBX with high package, modular bumper and aux switches. Before the 4Runner I had Wranglers, and way back in the 80’s had a couple Broncos.

I couldn’t be happier after 10,000 miles in the Bronco. I’ve had zero issues, and it’s been the funnest vehicle I’ve owned. I of course have no idea how badly the long term reliability will be compared to the trusty Toyota. This is where 4Runner most likely excels. But for me the Bronco beats it in every other category. Better looking, better tech, more comfortable to drive city and highway, more comfortable seats and interior space, flexibility, upgradability, doors off/top off…even gas mileage is a mpg better. I noticed you’re in Nevada…I’m in Arizona and my SAS is way funner in the sun and capable in the desert.

As for the Wrangler…this Bronco so far beats them all in everything except rock crawling (maybe) but is a better overall off-roader when you add in over landing, camping, Baja running, and honestly most importantly how great it is on the paved drive to the trails.

I’m 6’1” and I keep mentioning to my wife the size, exterior and interior, just seems designed for me. Headroom is incredible even with my Bimini top always on. I haven’t done much to it yet aside from Baja fogs, hood and soft top struts, PPF, and some interior protective upgrades and exterior cosmetic upgrades. I do plan on upgrading the audio soon, but my Wranglers and 4Runner sucked in that area too.

Bottom line is a 4Runner is an attractive, dependable wifey and the Bronco is a fun, hot girlfriend. But you’re not getting married to a vehicle. Go from there and you’ll figure it out.
I have to applaud your response 👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻. Especially the wife/girlfriend analogy. Haha
Thank you for the feedback

OP
OP
DBC Offroad

DBC Offroad

Raptor
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Went from a 2006 V6 4runner to a 2006 V8 4runner, then a 2007 Taco tube frame/LT desert truck, then to the Bronco. I used to be a big fan of the 4runner/Tacoma line and honestly thought it was the best option out there for an offroad/overlanding/daily driver for over a decade now. I can't attest to what kind of quality you'd get from a Bronco made recently, but my 21 build doesn't have any of the issues people complain about here.

Toyota is pretty much a decade behind in every aspect on their vehicles...they figure out something that works and they just don't change it. I checked out the new Sequoia TRD pro a few months ago, and the interior might as well have been my 2006 4runner, it even shared some of the same buttons. If I wanted the same stuff that my 2006 had, I'd be looking at used cars with used car prices, not brand new off the lot prices.

The 4runner is kind of a pig when it comes to acceleration even with the V8 (the newer V6's are sluggish too, even with a pedal commander), it has heavy but twitchy steering, and has more body roll than a SAS Bronco with the swaybar removed entirely. Toyota seats are the most uncomfortable seats I've ever been in, and that includes original Willys MB seats. Couple that with really limited leg room and the constant need to keep it pointing forward, it's downright uncomfortable to drive long distances. I've had all three Toyotas let me down and leave me stranded in a multitude of ways, including engine failure. Fit and finish, no match, Toyota interior panels look great until you remove them for the first time, and then they never look quite right again. Mechanically, fit and finish on the Toyota seems to be on par with the Bronco from what I've tinkered around with. Everything feels like plastic in both vehicles, because they actually ARE plastic. I've had the dash, A-pillars, interior panels, and tailgate completely disassembled on the Bronco several times and they still look and feel like they haven't been touched.

Offroad, the 4runners feel like they shouldn't be there until you replace every Toyota suspension component with something else instead. Mid travel suspension, I'd place the 4runner just below a stock Bronco. It's not until you really start modifying Toyotas with LT suspensions that their offroad performance starts to shine. I've already taken the Bronco places I would never take any of the 4runners I've had, partially because the 4runner wouldn't have made it to begin with. 4runners are very similar to the Broncos in that a good suspension will absolutely kill your wallet.

The extra room in the 4runner is really only relevant if you actually need it on a regular basis, and since it's more of a midsized vehicle, there's a lot of times when all that space is just not big enough anyway. 95% of the time you won't be using that space, but you're carrying it everywhere and paying the price of having it available. I have a 2dr and two kids, that was the entire reason for buying a 4runner way back when, and now that they can get in and out on their own, the extra doors and extra space is no longer important. I honestly don't care that they have no doors of their own. Can't get rid of the extra doors on a 4runner unless you go WAY back in time. I still have enough room in the 2dr to fit everything I've historically loaded in the 4runner.

As for on-road manners, my wife was driving the V8 4runner (she loved her 4runners) when we got the Bronco, and I'd let her and the kids take it if I didn't need to go anywhere. It wasn't long before the 4runner started collecting dust...she was getting used to how nice the Bronco drove and ended up enjoying it a lot more. We'd been driving Toyotas for so long that we got used to their lackluster handling and feel. If she had her way, we'd have two Broncos and no Toyotas. She eventually conned me into an expedition to replace the 4runner. Still keeping the Taco, it's my baby and it'll have an LS swap eventually.
Thank you for the extensive feedback. You gave a very thorough comparison. It's looking like its going to be the Bronco for the win! Thanks!
Sponsored