Sponsored

Has anyone tested the towing capabilities of new Bronco ?

Judge Rufus

Banned
Wildtrak
Banned
Banned
First Name
Wheeler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Infiniti QX80, GMC Sierra, Mercedes SLK32 AMG,
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
My opinion from the facts and details provided is that the additional power supplied from the more powerful Bronco engine will handle the mountains much better and be able to pull a trailer with more ease than my Rubi.
You got that from this thread?
tenor.gif
Sponsored

johndeerefarmer

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 F150, '20 F350 Powerstroke
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Since the early 00s SAE J2807 has been the metric agreed to by OEMs. It includes Davis Dam, acceleration metrics, and handling metrics for certification.
It sure wasn't the early 2000's when they started using SAE J2807 it was more like 2016 before the big three got on board with their trucks.

If the Bronco had of been revealed before SAE J2807 it might have had a rating of 5000 lbs. I say put a heavier hitch on it and see how it handles. You can alway add Timbrens or air bags if needed

rdass623

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road, Fiat 124 Abarth
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

like with the wranglers, i feel like the towing capacity on the bronco is an afterthought. the short wheel base and high center of gravity may leave some wanting. towing the max capacity of a vehicle is never a great idea. at max capacity, the engine and brakes are being taxed to their limits. also people tend to forget the amount of weight inside the vehicle while towing. be careful!

johndeerefarmer

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 F150, '20 F350 Powerstroke
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

4 door doesn't have a short wheelbase..........

RBF 1401

Base
First Name
Tricia
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
98 Avalon, 95 Dakota
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Also @Texican remember the Bronco is FI, creating its own atmosphere will significantly help with towing at altitude vs. an NA motor.
I sure hope that's true.😍
I camp at high elevations, 7000-9000ft, and tend to tax my cargo area to its limits.

Both my current car and previous truck were champs going up 6% and 7% grades even packed to the brim... that is, until I get above 6000ft.😞

I'm hoping this means my Bronco will breath a little better up there???😍

Sponsored

L8apex

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
'14 Focus ST, '21 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
It sure wasn't the early 2000's when they started using SAE J2807 it was more like 2016 before the big three got on board with their trucks.

If the Bronco had of been revealed before SAE J2807 it might have had a rating of 5000 lbs. I say put a heavier hitch on it and see how it handles. You can alway add Timbrens or air bags if needed
Yup memory was off early 2010s is more accurate.

Published 2008
Accepted by most truck manufacturers for 2013MY

https://www.caranddriver.com/featur...sae-trailering-standards-explained-tech-dept/

Bronco21fan

Black Diamond
First Name
Angelo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 bronco black diamond 2 door Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Hi,
First post here....

While I'm waiting for my White Bronco Wildtrack Sasquatch, I'm interested to know if anyone has tried towing anything close to it's towing capacity.

I'm not so much interested in knowing about small utility trailers, etc.. as much as small travel trailer RVs, 20ft metal trailers, etc...

I currently have a 2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon (6 speed manual) and I love it, but I'm not very happy with the towing capacity or power.

I just got back (last night) from a trip to South Fork, Colorado and the jeep was weighted down with a metal bed rack, kayaks, camping gear, etc.. and it struggled in a few spots on over the mountain passes. We had a blast and it performed great off road but not so much on the highway getting there. It required a lot of downshifting and full acceleration to keep up with the speed limit. That's not a bad knock on the Rubicon, I love it, but I'm interested to know how the Bronco does under similar situations.

The good thing about the Bronco is that it has a LOT more torque (Jeep's 285 ft lbs VS the Bronco's 400 ft/lbs) so this will help.

The Rubicon boasts a 4500 lbs towing capacity (Maybe tested on a flat highway, but not going to South Fork Colorado up the mountains)

The Bronco WT boasts only a 3500 lbs towing capacity but has nearly double the Torque of the Rubicon, so it should do much better.
What gives ?

If you have towed with your new Bronco:
How did it pull & track, how was the power, Shifting, etc... ? (Auto or Manual) ?
Any info would be great.

I can't wait for my delivery !

Thanks
Mike
Towing isent recommended until after the break in period is complete

Lakelife36

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Kia Borrego, 2012 Chevy Cruze, 2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

like with the wranglers, i feel like the towing capacity on the bronco is an afterthought. the short wheel base and high center of gravity may leave some wanting. towing the max capacity of a vehicle is never a great idea. at max capacity, the engine and brakes are being taxed to their limits. also people tend to forget the amount of weight inside the vehicle while towing. be careful!
You seriously think that the engine and brakes on the Bronco will be maxed out when towing 3500lbs?

rdass623

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

You seriously think that the engine and brakes on the Bronco will be maxed out when towing 3500lbs?
the brakes probably will. right now i have a 17 foot aluminum boat which i tow. the boat and trailer weighs about #1900. it is within the #6800 tow capacity of the truck. my old boat a 18 foot fiberglass boat weighing closer to #3800 was scary. the brakes were in my opinion inadequate, and would heat up and fade quicker than expected.

if you are considering towing the maximum rated weight, good luck and purchase the extended warranty and keep low deductibles on your insurance.

Lakelife36

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Weight in the vehicle will be a huge consideration for BLs, WTs, and FEs, but not for the lower trims. Their GCWRs are very high for the assigned tow cap, leaving plenty of room for cargo without even eating into what you can tow.

Sponsored

rdass623

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Weight in the vehicle will be a huge consideration for BLs, WTs, and FEs, but not for the lower trims. Their GCWRs are very high for the assigned tow cap, leaving plenty of room for cargo without even eating into what you can tow.
i will defer to your judgement. retail delivery began last week. i am sure you will get plenty of evaluations from actual owners who are doing more than just making educated guesses. i will continue to relegate my towing duties to my truck although i will be installing a hitch on my bronco.

Lakelife36

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

the brakes probably will. right now i have a 17 foot aluminum boat which i tow. the boat and trailer weighs about #1900. it is within the #6800 tow capacity of the truck. my old boat a 18 foot fiberglass boat weighing closer to #3800 was scary. the brakes were in my opinion inadequate, and would heat up and fade quicker than expected.

if you are considering towing the maximum rated weight, good luck and purchase the extended warranty and keep low deductibles on your insurance.
Do those trailers have their own brakes? I believe that Tacos recommend trailer brakes when towing over 1000lbs don't they?

Lakelife36

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

i will defer to your judgement. retail delivery began last week. i am sure you will get plenty of evaluations from actual owners who are doing more than just making educated guesses. i will continue to relegate my towing duties to my truck although i will be installing a hitch on my bronco.
It's not judgement, it's the numbers on Ford's own documentation. I concur though the judgement will start to roll in soon, and I can't wait to hear it. After all, that's why I'm watching this very thread...

2Jeeps&PatriotX1

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 4dr Badsquatch, ‘05 LJ & ‘17 F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The 3.6 in the jeeps is god awful towing (even 3500lbs) in the CO mountain passes. Cant stand towing our small trailer with the wife’s GC trailhawk w/ 3.6, which is why we always take my f150 w/ the 3.5 ecoboost. Through the mountain passes it’ll stay in 8th gear going 65-70mph up 7% grades.

if you’re wanting to tow more than 3500lbs and you like your gladiator, then get yourself the ecodiesel gladiator if you want more torque.

2Jeeps&PatriotX1

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 4dr Badsquatch, ‘05 LJ & ‘17 F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

My f150 oem brakes sucked even towing a small trailer. Upgraded to aftermarket pads & rotors and its night/day. All my towing is through mountain passes 5k-11k elevation and 7% grades. I plan on upgrading the Bronco pads & rotors as well based on my experience with the f150.
Sponsored